How young is too young for the cruise for kids?

It's much easier if they are out of diapers, although many people go before. I know a couple of families that waited for their children to be three and they said they were happy that they waited.

I'd say the closer to 4 the better. DD was barely 4 on our cruise last fall, and to her the princesses were ABSOLUTELY the real deal. The conversations with them are priceless moments of family movies. From what I gather, a lot of kids are over the character thing by age 7 or 8, though.

We didn't see too many screaming 2 year olds on the cruise, because there weren't many 2 year olds. There were lots of young 3 year olds in the club, which leads me to agree with the suggestion of going the month before your child turns 3. As long as she's potty trained you'll get the double benefit of rock-bottom fare for her plus the use of the club.

Congratuations on the birth of your first child. Enjoy every moment, because they really DO grow up SO quickly!

We went when DS was 3 months shy of 3. We ended up having a blast, althought I seriously considered canceling because of the pool issue.

To me, not letting toddlers in the pool was just HORRIBLE...DS couldn't really understand why he could swim in every other pool we'd ever been to, just not that one. I think not allowing swim diapers in the pool creates more problems than it solves, although I understand this is a CDC rule, not Disney's. DS is a total fish and wouldn't have been happy with the "ear" situation at all. In fact, while I was there, there were a lot of babies crawling into the main Mickey pool.

DS ended up being pretty entertained by just being on the boat, and we found a place at our port stop to swim in a pool, and we spent the morning before we got on the boat swimming, so he was happy. We put him in Flounders at night, and since it was his bedtime around 8 anyway, he just fell asleep there.

Can anyone compare/contrast their experience with kids on the Disney Cruises versus other cruises (Carnival, etc...)?

(I have never been on a cruise ever before...)
Thanks!

Disney and HAL were very similar, as I posted earlier. Biggest difference is there are no kids only, adults only areas on HAL. They do have kids programs, but they rotate thru the public rooms on the ship throughout the day, as their activities vary.
Again, my kids never stepped foot in the kids clubs on either ship, although they did read the kids navigators each day. There was always something on the regular navigator that they preferred to do over the kids clubs.

Only odd thing I found on Disney, the king of family entertainment, kids are never allowed in the fitness center. HAL did limit hours those under 18 could use the fitness center, but there were hours everyday when anyone could use the facilities.

I think you really have to do two things when deciding how young is too young to go on a cruise:

1) How does your child deal with new environments, and how does Mom and Dad deal with their child in a new environment?

2) How do you plan to spend your time? Is this a Family vacation where you want to spend the time with each other, or is this a Family vacation where you all just do what you want, including being on you own?

Our first cruise was a 3-day on the Wonder with our then 27 month old DD. She was not potty trained, and she was too young to be in the clubs. We all had a great time. We took Swim Diapers with so she could be in the pool. We played on the beach at CC. Fish nibbled her little toes. She napped when she got tired, but we found you can't force your child to conform to his/her normal schedule on Vacation. Kids want to see and do everything (just like Mom and Dad), and just like Mom and Dad, they sometimes over do it. However, we also learned that kids are highly adaptable (at least ours proved to be). She was never at Flounders; she was always with us where ever we went. However, we went on this cruise knowing this. And personally, that's how we want it.

Now, just because she was with us all the time, doesn't mean we didn't get to do any "adult" activities. I had a massage, my wife had a spa treatment, and one night we actually spent some time on deck after our little one fell asleep in the cabin. It wasn't long, but Mom and Dad did get some alone time.

Anyway, you have to know your kid and make the decision. But I think trying to make you kids conform to your normal schedule is only setting you and your child up for a massive amount of stress and a stessful vacation. Know ahead of time what to expect, and you will have a great time, regardless of your kid's age.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and I think a toddler can remember experiences like this. I know that our daughter remembers things that happend on the cruise that we do not have pictures or video of. Go for it! Enjoy the moment! Vacation is Vaction! :woohoo:

SpaceAce said:
Thanks everyone. I was also wondering...which do you think toddlers would like better - a day on the cruise or a day in one of the Disney parks?
THanks all!

I can't answer this from personal knowledge YET but this is what I was thinking myself, what we are doing and why. DS is 21 mths and we have a short trip to WDW scheduled for his second b-day this June. I've also booked the last 7 day cruise before the Magic heads to the Med in May, 2007 and he'll be a month shy of 3 and we are hoping potty trained. The cruise is certainly incentive to be potty trained. Pullups for nightime, I don't mind packing, but a suitcase full of diapers is not ideal for us and I want him to be able to swim in the pool. It would be hard to keep him out of the pool. We're not doing organized excursion tours. We are prepared to go at his pace even if that means never getting off the ship and I really don't care if I see another Caribbean island or not; to me the ship is the major destination on a Caribbean cruise. I think that WDW could easily be way more exhausting. For this reason, we are only going to do one park, one day. I don't care that I'm flying such a long way for a 4 day trip and just one day at MK. I don't care if we don't see everything as I know we wont. I've been there before, we'll take him again. Again we are going to go at his pace and have booked a monorail resort for greater ease but nothing beats being on the ship and just walking back to the stateroom for naps. He will not remember either trip but I will and as long as he's happy in the moment, I'm happy and I'll consider it a wonderful vacation.

I have digressed. You asked which would a toddler like better. My long winded point is that I think that depends a lot on the child AND the parents. I've seen a lot of parents at WDW who don't look like they are at the happiest place on earth and their poor kids look exhausted and are cranky. I chalk this up to parents trying to do too much or go too fast and kids become exhausted from it. If you were REALLY just going to compare ONE day at WDW to ONE day on a cruise, I don't know which a toddler would prefer. But there are no one day DCL cruises and few people go to WDW for one day at the park. If the exhaustion factor is not seriously taken into consideration and avoided, I would think a toddler would prefer the cruise.

We have traveled to the parks and we are headed on DCL in three weeks. The parks are wonderful, but the kids can get tired and sometimes cranky. Try to go when you know that the weather will be good for the pools. Our girls loved a morning or afternoon break to spend time in their fabulous pools. My younger daughter did fabulous at 7 mths. When we returned when she was 16 mths, she was terrified of the characters. Her older sister wanted to spend half her time with the characters. My husband and I sometimes had to split up. We have also traveled with cousins and grandparents who can help with pushing strollers and stay with kids while DH and I go on some rides with or without some of the kids. Our newborn will be 13 months when we hit the parks in November for a family reunion.
If you go, make sure to have snacks, stroller(s), and take breaks when the parks are most crowded.

As for the DCL, we are going with our 6 mth old son and our daughters now 3 and 5.5. We are bringing a set of grandparents to help out so we got two connecting rooms. The people that I have spoken to said younger children prefered the DCL because it was more relaxed. Kids can't wait for the kid club, pools, character meets, etc. They aren't eligible for many of the excursions but they really just want to play at the beach. Will let you know how it goes.
:cool1:

Nice to hear a variety of opinions on this matter. Just a few qusetions if anyone knows:
1. Why can toddlers swim at WDW resort pools in "Little Swimmers" but not on DCL?
2. How do Cast members know for sure a toddler is potty trained? I have a friend with a 2 yr old who is completely potty trained (where's pull ups at night only for accidents) and another friend with a child almost 4 who still has trouble).
3. What are the Mickey ear pools all about? I have heard that infants in swim diapers can go in the ears....isn't that the same water? just confused a bit :sad2:

1/ It isn't DCL policy. DCL is the only cruise ship with a place for non PTd kids to be in the water on the ship.
2/ If there is a question the CM will approach the adult with the child and talk to them. If the child is completely PTd, just tell them that. We have seen infants in the pool & the CMs got them out quickly. Experiencing the pool being closed for a couple hours to clean it up because someone let their non PTd kid in the pool should make anyone understand how it can affect every other child's vacation.
3/ The one ear for the nonPTd kids has a seperate filtration system from the main pool. It is constantly filtered & recycled into the one ear. The other ear is full & does spill over into the main pool area.

We are cruising in January 2007 for 4 nights on the Wonder. :woohoo: We are taking my ds who will be 16 months at the time. (He is just shy of 7 months now) I don't know how he will be. I don't know if he will go to Flounders because right now he just stays home with me. I hope he will go. I don't know how long he will be walking. (My dd didn't walk until 15 months) We are going and hoping for the best. Whatever happens, happens. This is a once in a lifetime kind of trip and we do have other family members going so hopefully they will help a bit with him.

kamgen said:
Nice to hear a variety of opinions on this matter. Just a few qusetions if anyone knows:
1. Why can toddlers swim at WDW resort pools in "Little Swimmers" but not on DCL?
2. How do Cast members know for sure a toddler is potty trained? I have a friend with a 2 yr old who is completely potty trained (where's pull ups at night only for accidents) and another friend with a child almost 4 who still has trouble).
3. What are the Mickey ear pools all about? I have heard that infants in swim diapers can go in the ears....isn't that the same water? just confused a bit :sad2:

Hotel pools have filtration systems that cruise ships don't have. The CDC doesn't think highly of swim diappers or rubber pants and states that it gives false sense of security. The CDC doesn't allow swim diapers/rubber pants in pools on cruise ships. DCL is the only line that has a small sprinkler area (the ear) for non PT kids.

This is DCL's request from CDC website which explains how the ear was approved:

6.4.1.3.1 Swimming Pools & Whirlpool Spas

Request: Exemption for a wet play area for children in diapers

VSP Operations Manual Requirements:
6.4.1.3.1 Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained are not permitted in public swimming pools and whirlpool spas.

Approved in 2003:
This variance was approved based on specialized operating and monitoring equipment and devices used. Specific procedures for operations, maintenance and microbiological examination of water quality with record keeping for all of the equipment and devices.

Revoked in December 2004:
The variance was revoked due to non-compliance with operating procedures, system maintenance, records, and microbiological analysis requirements.

Re-instated in 2005:
This variance was approved because of specialized disinfection filtration equipment and devices, specific procedures for operations, maintenance, system alarms, recordkeeping, and microbiological analysis of fecal coliform bacteria.

Requester: Disney Cruise Line (Disney Magic and Disney Wonder)
Date: 2003

Nevertheless, I would actually feel better if kids could wear the swim diapers because I've read so much about the pools closing. Either people send non PT kids in the pool without it hoping for the best or the newly trained kids, out of their normal environment get excited or whatever and have an accident. I'm going to try to have my DS PT before our cruise; he'll be just shy of 3, but I'm concerned about the excitement, not wanting to get out of the pool factor.

When you feel comfortable with leaving your newborn home with Grandma, go and check it out with each other, and figure it out for yourselves. Just be careful with all the fun you'll have together, as you may have to await another newborn 40 weeks after the cruise, and that would postpone a family cruise. If you really want to wait until a child may enjoy a cruise, you may end up being 35 years old, before you go. Go have a Second Honeymoon , and go again 6 years later with the family. Metrowon

When you feel comfortable with leaving your newborn home with Grandma, go and check it out with each other, and figure it out for yourselves. Just be careful with all the fun you'll have together, as you may have to await another newborn 40 weeks after the cruise, and that would postpone a family cruise. If you really want to wait until a child may enjoy a cruise, you may end up being 35 years old, before you go. Go have a Second Honeymoon , and go again 6 years later with the family. Metrowon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter