How would my points be used for reservations extending into new use year?

fearthisinc

Mouseketeer
Hi all.. Here is what I am looking to know.. We currently have 450 points coming for our December 2017 Use Year.. (425 2017 points plus 25 2016 banked points).. We are planning trips to Disney in October 2018 and December 2018.. Now I know the October trip will use our 2017 Use Year points, however how would the December trip points be deducted? The October trip will likely only use 100 - 150 points.. So we will have 300 - 350 2017 points that would be banked into the December 2018 Use Year.. But if I am booking the December trip 11 months or 7 months (depending on where we stay) I would still be booking before our banking deadline..

So when I book the December trip do they "borrow" from the 2018 Use Year since the December trip falls in the 2018 Use Year? Or do they just deduct my 2017 points?

please read and bookmark this thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/understanding-use-year-updated-april-27-2016.1942668/

an Oct 2018 stay falls in your Dec 2017 UY, which runs from Dec 1, 2017 to Nov 30, 2018. The downside is that when you travel late in your UY like that, you risk losing pts if you need to cancel, since you will be past your banking deadline after July 31, 2018.

a Dec 2018 stay falls in your Dec 2018 UY. in order to use leftover pts from your 2017 UY, you would need to bank them ahead of time. if you do not bank your 2017 UY pts, you would be using "current" 2018 UY pts because that is what the dates of the stay fall into - and you would have the option to borrow from Dec 2019 UY (if needed) when you call or go online to book your Dec 2018 stay (as early as Jan 2018, since the 11 month window is based on home resort and has nothing at all to do with use year).

To repeat: "use year" is all about the dates of the stay - it has nothing to do with when you are booking the stay. your Dec 2018 UY pts are valid for stays from Dec 1, 2018 to Nov 30, 2019 so you would not have to "borrow" them to use them within that period. your Dec 2017 UY runs from Dec 1, 2017 to Nov 30, 2018 so if you wanted to use those pts in Dec 2018, you would definitely need to bank them first before your window closes.

Last edited:
please read and bookmark this thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/understanding-use-year-updated-april-27-2016.1942668/

an Oct 2018 stay falls in your Dec 2017 UY, which runs from Dec 1, 2017 to Nov 30, 2018. The downside is that when you travel late in your UY like that, you risk losing pts if you need to cancel, since you will be past your banking deadline after July 31, 2018.

a Dec 2018 stay falls in your Dec 2018 UY. in order to use leftover pts from your 2017 UY, you would need to bank them ahead of time. if you do not bank your 2017 UY pts, you would be using "current" 2018 UY pts because that is what the dates of the stay fall into - and you would have the option to borrow from Dec 2019 UY (if needed) when you call or go online to book your Dec 2018 stay (as early as Jan 2018, since the 11 month window is based on home resort and has nothing at all to do with use year).

To repeat: "use year" is all about the dates of the stay - it has nothing to do with when you are booking the stay. your Dec 2018 UY pts are valid for stays from Dec 1, 2018 to Nov 30, 2019 so you would not have to "borrow" them to use them within that period. your Dec 2017 UY runs from Dec 1, 2017 to Nov 30, 2018 so if you wanted to use those pts in Dec 2018, you would definitely need to bank them first before your window closes.

Thanks for the input.. I understand the Use Year concept and that it doesn't effect when I book.. Except the one thing that I had me a little confused is the fact that I would book the December trip in my December 2018 use year BEFORE the banking deadline.. I know for a fact that I will be banking around 300 points from 2017 and would want the banked 2017 points used for the December 2018 trip before the 2018 points are used.. But obviously I will be booking the December 2018 trip in either January 2018 or June 2018 depending if I do home resort or choose another resort.. So my 2017 points wont be banked by then.. Im just wondering if it is a simple call to Member Services after July 2018 to have them deduct the December 2018 trip from the 2017 points and reinstate the 2018 points..

On December 1, 2017 you can bank points into your 2018 UY. Then in January you can use those banked points to book a December 2018 trip. Do not wait until the 7 month window to book something. Book home resort for sure during this time and then "try" to change at 7 months.

Laura

Thanks for the input.. I understand the Use Year concept and that it doesn't effect when I book.. Except the one thing that I had me a little confused is the fact that I would book the December trip in my December 2018 use year BEFORE the banking deadline.. I know for a fact that I will be banking around 300 points from 2017 and would want the banked 2017 points used for the December 2018 trip before the 2018 points are used.. But obviously I will be booking the December 2018 trip in either January 2018 or June 2018 depending if I do home resort or choose another resort.. So my 2017 points wont be banked by then.. Im just wondering if it is a simple call to Member Services after July 2018 to have them deduct the December 2018 trip from the 2017 points and reinstate the 2018 points..
Just bank the 2017 points right before you make the reservation for Dec 2018 so they get used first. If you decide to take a trip before Dec 2018, just borrow points from Dec 2018 for that Dec 2017 UY trip. You just have to bank the Dec 2017 points no later than July 31, 2018 (four months before the end of your UY). If you are trying for a Christmas trip for Dec 2018, you probably just need to forget about booking at seven months out. That will be very difficult.

On December 1, 2017 you can bank points into your 2018 UY. Then in January you can use those banked points to book a December 2018 trip. Do not wait until the 7 month window to book something. Book home resort for sure during this time and then "try" to change at 7 months.

Laura

This.

Your banking deadline is July 31 but there's no reason to wait that long if you are certain that you will not book any additional stays in your 2017 UY.

I also agree with these other posters that the 7 month window for Dec stays is very competitive. Make sure you book your home resort early.

Let's say you book something next UY with that UY's points. Then later you bank some of this UY's points to next year. You can call member services and have them allocate the points so that the banked points are used first.
(What you cannot do is reallocate points between two active reservations)

Chalee94 - We are 90% certain that we will not be taking any trips from now until next year (October 2018).. Baby is coming February.. Our first child had his first Disney trip at 9 months which we felt was the "perfect" age.. Able to look around on their own, can crawl, and just all around enjoyed it.. We normally go in October so baby will be around 8 months so close enough.. So with that in mind we are figuring we will need around 100-150 of our 2017 points that are coming this December... We can then bank the rest.. However, as you and others have posted, my plan was to book our Home Resort first at 11 months.. Then at 7 months we would see if any of the other resorts that we like are available.. Then we would make our decision and if need be cancel at our Home Resort..

miTnosnhoJ - Thanks for the input.. This is exactly what I was hoping for.. As I mentioned above, we are fairly certain that we wont be doing any early trips prior to October 2018, however we are not 100% certain.. This is partially why I was skeptical about banking the points, because as I understand it, if I bank the points early and then decide to use them I would be in a situation where its borrowing and then use or lose them.. But if I can book the December 2018 trip using 2018 Use Year points and then just reallocate my 2017 points once I bank then that is a homerun. I just didn't want to be in a situation where we book the 2018 trip using 2018 points and then have banked points that MUST be used.. At least if the banked points can be reallocated to replace the 2018 points used to secure the reservation I would then have the 2018 points to carry over..

miTnosnhoJ - Thanks for the input.. This is exactly what I was hoping for.. As I mentioned above, we are fairly certain that we wont be doing any early trips prior to October 2018, however we are not 100% certain.. This is partially why I was skeptical about banking the points, because as I understand it, if I bank the points early and then decide to use them I would be in a situation where its borrowing and then use or lose them.. But if I can book the December 2018 trip using 2018 Use Year points and then just reallocate my 2017 points once I bank then that is a homerun. I just didn't want to be in a situation where we book the 2018 trip using 2018 points and then have banked points that MUST be used.. At least if the banked points can be reallocated to replace the 2018 points used to secure the reservation I would then have the 2018 points to carry over..

I have done this myself several times. I book my stay. Then in July, I bank my remaining points. Then I call Member Services to reallocate the points.

As mentioned you can bank your remaining Dec 2017 points into your 2018 UY anytime from Dec 1, 2017 up until July 31, 2018. You can bank whatever amount of points you wish to as many times as you wish during that time frame until you have banked all you need. That isn't necessary for your planning this time but just some info for the future should you ever not be certain if you might have another trip planned before the end of a UY that you might need points for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter