How to successfully get kid’s finger to scan?

KrazeeK120

DIS Veteran
Hi all. I’m definitely not a Disney newbie so I feel a little dumb not being able to figure this out.

My son is 8. 2 years ago, we could never get his finger to scan. Finally, a cast member just had my husband attach his biometric to our son’s ticket. Last year when we went, we did the same thing and didn’t even try to have our son scan.

I’d really like for him to be able to scan himself, just in case we have to separate for whatever reason. What’s the trick to scanning small fingers? Someone help me please!!!

Honestly we had problems at 5 and 6, her finger just isn't big enough and she doesn't hold it in the right way.

She used her own finger this time around, but we only had one day tickets and didn't re-enter the park....so I don't know if it would have worked.

He just needs to pick a finger and remember it and place it flat and firm.

But also don't feel bad when it doesn't work. I swear it always goes blue for me when I park hop.
Eventually they start acting like I'm doing it with the wrong finger but I'm not as I have used the same finger since 2007 lol.

Last edited:
Kid probably needs to have a bigger finger--so wait for him to grow?
No, I don't know, but we attached all three kids to my fingerprint and now we're very efficient at entering vs. when we tried to have them use their own fingers. I asked what if they were to enter with another adult and they said just flag down one of the people with the tablets and they would change it to that adult's fingerprint then. So I guess the fingerprint means nothing?

I'm an adult and they always have trouble with my fingers. My hands are often cold even when it's hot, but also my prints just don't scan for some reason.

I just had this at work when renewing my work ID. Only one finger would scan and barely at that, so they indicated that this was due to physical injury.

Which finger are you using? I've had luck with my kids using their thumb instead of index finger. I assume its bc it has more surface area.

My little guy has tiny fingers and we had way more success with his thumb. At 6 he was about 50/50 getting but then last year at 7 he was really good at it after the first day or so, he learned how to put it flat on there and not move. His thumb was just a bit bigger so it worked.

The Cast member had my daughter use her thumb and to dry it off before scanning. It started to work everytime. She was 9 at the time.

My DS has tendency to push down really hard, and I get it, I still push the buttons too hard on my range and washer & dryer. They only need a lighter touch. SO when he is doing his finger I say over and over "soft soft soft" and it usually works fine. The minute I forget and he is squishing his finger flat, it doesn't work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter