How to Keep Son From Harming His Braces

MEM

DIS Veteran
DS10, at the highly functioning end of the autism-PDD spectrum will be getting braces on his teeth within the next few months. Both his orthodontist and I are concerned that he will try to remove them from his teeth, especially if they hurt or rub or whatever.

I expect to involve his teachers, school nurse and lunch lady in educating DS about the braces and care of them, but I am interested in hearing how others succeeded. I am also interested in hearing whether your child needed to be sedated for each visit to the orthodontist.

Thanks!!

My ds (8) just got braces last week. He also has asd/pdd as well as a bi polar disorder and SID. I had many of the same concerns but he is doing great. The putting on them of them was actually very easy...sedation was not reuired at all. We got an orthodontist that speciales in children and has alot of experience with special needs kids. They gave him a mirror to watch and explained to him each step...they also answered all of his questions, no matter how silly they were. He has even said the next visit he will go back to the room with me. They also let him pick a color for the "donuts" on his brackets which of course he picked red his favorite color.

It has been a very positive experience...he is very proud of his braces. He says he thinks he is so grown up now because normally teenagers have braces. He brushes his teeth without being told because that's what the orthodontist told him to do. He also knows I have the special wax so if they start to rub anywhere I can take care of it instantly.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.

My 8 yr old is also HFA and apraxic. He needs an expander on his uppers. Normally the dentist visits are not a problem and he has had fillings before. The orthodontist was a whole different ball game though. He put the separater on, which is basically a blue rubber band thing...on his molar. My son freaked out. The ortho had to take it off. I do not know what we will do now. My 12 yr old is getting the expander now & then braces, so the ortho is suggesting to bring the 8 yr old in as well and gradually work him up to it. I hate to say it, but I dont think this will matter. My 8 yr old is very stubborn. I hate to let his teeth go, it is obvious his top teeth are smaller than his bottom ones. I don't know about sedation as we have never had that offered. I wish you well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter