How to get the best deal for next spring break?

3littlecuties

DIS Veteran
We are looking at going back to Disney for spring break next year for March 30-Apr 7 (8 nights - week after Easter). We've been going back and forth on hotels but think we've decided on Wilderness Lodge. We were considering doing Grand Floridian but think it's just more than we want to pay right now even if we did a split stay.

Anyway...trying to decide what may be our best option. I know it's a bit of a gamble to try to decide what Disney will do with discounts and what rooms will be available, but can you give me your opinion in this scenario?

We can book now through Disney for a standard room for $4,576 (this is based on 2016 rates as of now). Then we could hope for a discount. If a 25% off discount came out next year (same as this year), it would reduce the price to $3,432. Obviously there could be a higher discount or also no discount.

We could pay a $2/point premium to book at 11 months through David's DVC rental and get a studio villa for $3,468. Or we could wait until 7 months and it would be $3,060. Of course, there may be nothing available at that time.

So what would you do? Book the room through Disney and hope for a discount? Book at 11 months through David's and lock in the $3,468 (assuming we could get it at 11 months). Or wait until 7 months and book through David's? Something else? We can afford to do any of these but obviously want to pay as little as possible!

The price to lock in at 11 months with David's could be comparable to Disney-direct with a discount but we've never rented before and are a little leery about not being able to cancel. But for a big enough discount, we would do it. We'd want to get travel insurance then.

We are not completely set on Wilderness and would probably switch if/when discounts came out to another deluxe if Wilderness couldn't get the discount. We would do BC/YC or Boardwalk or Poly but aren't interested in OKW or SS.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! Would love your input!

Great question and curious as well. We rented points for the first time this year and added the point protection plan. Our trip is 3 weeks away, but thinking about spring break for next year too.

Last edited:
I, too, would be hesitant to lock in the DVC rental, quite honestly. We've stayed in villas many times, but always on cash reservations (and always with a discount). I like the flexibility of cash reservations and the change/cancellation policies. I also like daily housekeeping! Also, it looks like you are a family of 5? If that's the case, the studio may be a tight fit. If you are a family of 5, you also won't be allowed to book a WL standard room as they only sleep 4. The only room at WL that sleeps more than 4 is a deluxe club level room which will be substantially more. If I were you, if your heart isn't set on WLV, I would book something through WDW to maintain flexibility and then re-assess when and if discounts are released.

If you are a family of 5, you also won't be allowed to book a WL standard room as they only sleep 4. The only room at WL that sleeps more than 4 is a deluxe club level room which will be substantially more. If I were you, if your heart isn't set on WLV, I would book something through WDW to maintain flexibility and then re-assess when and if discounts are released.

Whoa! I can't believe that I didn't know this! I thought all deluxe standard rooms slept 5! Huh. That changes things.

And we like housekeeping too!

Whoa! I can't believe that I didn't know this! I thought all deluxe standard rooms slept 5! Huh. That changes things.

And we like housekeeping too!

LOL! If only they did! Yes, only the deluxe club rooms at WL sleep more than 4 (they sleep 6) and, at AKL, only the suites hold more than 4 and they are not cheap!!

We are hoping to go the same week. Have looked into the David's rental in past and have not found significant savings (we would do a 1 bedroom at VWL, I have heard there is savings with a studio)...book then wait for Disney to release discounts and be willing to be flexible. I remember a Disney Visa discount being released in December for Spring Break that we were able to apply in the past when we went the week after Easter.

Our goal is to have an adult room and a kids room...so the one bedroom is great. Contemplating getting two moderate rooms hopefully with a discount and gambling that Disney will give us connecting rooms. Our oldest will be 18 so it will not be tragic if they do not give us connecting.

Hoping for 25% room or package discount that we got the last time we went the weekend of Easter and the week after.

The thing about renting DVC points is you've locked in a price now. I've done it for 2 trips over the past 18 months and always saved over 40% on the room. The thing about discount waiting (at 11 months) is nothing is guaranteed. It's all about inventory and if there isn't an issue for that room type.........Disney may not offer a discount on the room type. Time of year will also play into this calculation and Spring Break can be busy.

The other thing to keep in mind, and its especially true at WL, is room availability can move at a moments notice, although this may be less true for DVC rooms but is very true for standard rooms. At WL they've basically taken 1/2 the regular rooms and made them DVC. They've also changed what a standard room means with cutting down the forest in the direction of the MK...........those rooms are theme park view now. I was waiting to book a standard room at WL until the summer discounts hit.........and 2 days before they hit they had NO AVAILABILITY. o_O I was gonna be stuck with a Bunk Bed Garden view room at higher rate (so when discount hit........I paid more because the rack rate was higher) I booked the BBGV room got the AP room only discount but didn't save as much as I wanted or have the view I wanted. I still saved but not as much. Fortunately, I found a better rate at the YC and saved what I originally had hoped to. So you can't stop looking..........you also need to flexible and willing to try different approaches.

However, looking 11 months out this is all difficult with waiting on Disney seasonal discounts. Its a crap shoot...........I plan for no discount, hoping I'll get one..........but if I don't I can still afford the room. Then again there's always renting DVC points. Remember the DIS has a DVC rental forum that's another alternative.

What ever happens best of luck to you :D

Doug :goofy:

Go down for a day trip and book a bounce back? I know some people have done this to secure free dining.

Go down for a day trip and book a bounce back? I know some people have done this to secure free dining.

We were just there for this past spring break and I checked about bounce back offers but they only go through the end of this calendar year. I don't know at what point the bounce back allows you to come in 2018. Any ideas for future reference?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter