How to get oil stains off driveway?

me again

Mouseketeer
What's the best way to get oil/grease stains off the driveway? Our car was leaking before we noticed it, now have ugly stains on the driveway. We try to keep one vehicle parked over the stains until we can remove them.

Would also like some cheap suggestions. I did look into pressure washing but its expensive.

Kitty litter (the cheap clay stuff) will soak up the oil and get the stain off. Pressure washing isn't expensive (or hard) if you rent the equipment and do it yourself.

Ok, so I just spread the kitty litter on, then what? Wait awhile, then sweep it off, or hose it off?

You can spread it thickly over the oil stains, leave it for awhile (few days, a week, as long as it takes) as it draws the oil out and absorbs it. Stir it around every once in awhile until all the oil is gone and sweep away.:thumbsup2

If it is thick, take your foot and grind the kitty litter on the stain...
It really works! :thumbsup2

I cant help but laugh at your post. Yesterday morning I noticed a stain on our driveway and spent soo much time researching how to get rid of that dumb stain. Guess I should have just come to the DIS.

You could also go to the auto supply store and they sell stuff ( I forget the name now) that the mechanics use to soak up the oil on the floors in their shops

You could also go to the auto supply store and they sell stuff ( I forget the name now) that the mechanics use to soak up the oil on the floors in their shops

If I remember correctly, it is almost the same type stuff as kitty litter but kitty litter is cheaper. However, the mechanics stuff may have a little more "umph!" so it may work better. Not sure, never tried it.

I had forgotten about Dawn dish liquid. That really does work on the remains too!

I used to manage service stations. We used powdered laundry soap and a brush to remove oil stains. Worked very well.

I have never tried this - but i have heard that Coke will will also take up the oil stain on your driveway - would love to hear if anyone has tried that?

Dissolving Vitamin C pills on your driveway is suppose to remove rust!

I had some luck with dish soap and a scrub brush, not brand new looking but definitely better and less noticeable. I scrubbed a while.

Any ideas for removing rust stains from a concrete driveway?

Yes I could use ideas for this too ,,,, we got a few rust stains from
leaving a snow shovel on the sidewalk after a snow
storm. Now it looks awful with the rust line from the shovel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter