How to cook fresh green beans?

Kirby

DIS Veteran
Our neighbor is out of town and we are taking care of their garden. In just a couple of days there will be quite a lot of green beans ready to pick and I don't know how to cook them?

Can you help me out?

You snap off the stem and the little pointy thing off the other end. Then you either put them in a steamer or a pot with some water. I usually add an onion, cut into pieces, and some salt. Some people like to add bacon or at least bacon grease. We watch our fat, so I don't do that. When they start to get tender, I always add some new potatoes.

It's pretty simple, really. My DD often snaps them for me when I pick them up at the farmer's market and then puts them on to cook and she's only 12. If she can do it, you can do it. LOL!

I cook mine the same way but usually I make a meal out of the green beans by cooking some sauage in another pot-to get rid of some of the fat-then putting the sausage in with the green beans and new potatoes. Fix a pan of cornbread or some corn pones and thats a meal!

My husbands family likes their green beans crisp so they always put them in a casserole dish with just a tad of water and microwave them just for a few minutes. Yuck!

If I don't steam them & eat them plain, almondine or with French Fried Onion Rings, I make ham & beans. Cover a ham butt with water & cook a couple hours. Pull out the meat & toss the beans in with a couple of potatoes cut into quarters. Cut the meat into bite-sized pieces (or shred it) & add back to the pot. This is a favorite around here.

Our other favorite is:

Stir-Fried Green Beans

½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbl soy sauce
½ c water or stock
2 Tbl oil
¼ lb raw beef chuck
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ c onion, diced
1 lb green beans
Combine salt, sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, stock & set aside. Cut beef into thin, bite-sized slices. Heat oil, add beef, garlic & onion, then stir-fry over high heat until beef begins to change color. Remove from skillet & set aside. If needed, add more oil & reheat skillet. Add beans & stir until bright green. Immediately add soy sauce mixture & cook, stirring until clear. Cover skillet & cook over medium heat until beans are just crisp-tender. Return beef to skillet, stir well & remove from heat. Serve immediately with rice.

[NOTE: I usually make this without the meat & serve it as a side.]

We grow green beans and we love them grilled! Wash, cut or tear off tips, place on tin foil with a little olive oil, garlic, salt&pepper or favorite seasoning. Voila!

Kirby,

If you like, you can do a search on allrecipes.com for green bean recipes.

Lois

Thanks everyone! I never thought about grilling them. My neighbors crop is starting to come in. I picked a whole bunch today. It is supposed to rain tomorrow. She told me not to pick them while the leaves were wet so I'll probably have a boatload Friday to pick.

I love fresh green beans!

I usually trim the ends, then blanch them for a minute or two in salted water. Then, in another pan, I saute some garlic, well lots of garlic actually! in olive oil. Add the beans. Saute for a little... serve!

Sometimes, I even add some seasoned bread crumbs to it... oh, boy ... YUMMY!

Fresh green beans are also really, really delicious raw. With or without dip!

All these wonderful ideas! Thanks everyone!

I picked about three quarts today and I could have stayed longer. My vegetable drawer in my refridgerator is running over in green beans, zuchinni, yellow squash and cucumbers. And my window sill is full of tomatos. Between my garden and my neighbors I need to learn to can.

If you have the freezer space (we have a large chest freezer) you can just clean, blanch & freeze the green beans. Tomatoes need to be reduced to sauce, but it can be frozen that way also. Zucchini can be shredded, drained & packed for zucchini bread & frozen.

I canned also, but freezing is a great alternative & I never had to worry about things sealing & possible contamination. Plus, it's not nearly so hot in the kitchen as canning is!

I miss my garden!

Deb

Question for the ones who grill them - about how long do you leave them on for. We too have a garden and I usually do the boiling with different things in them - but I would like to try something differnt! Thanks!

And a question for those who cook them in water....for how long?

Funny this question should come up as I just bought some today at a local farm stand. :)

Jill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter