How to avoid I-4 in FL?

roadtripper

DIS Veteran
Forgive me if this has been posted recently---
Someone once posted a GREAT back route into the Disney area coming from the north. I do remember that it avoided I-4, which was a parking lot last year when we drove down. I printed it out, and then we moved...you know the rest of the story. If someone remembers the route, or if the kind DIS board member is still out there, would you mind reposting? Thanks so much!

We always avoid I-4, you never know when it will be backed up.
This is the route we always take from the airport (MCO)...............;)

We always do the south exit to 417. Go through 2 tollbooths ($1 each), get off at exit 6, International Drive. Go straight, that takes you to 536 (Epcot Center Drive).

I agree with ncligs if you're coming from the airport. But if driving down from 75, take the FL Turnpike to 27. 27 south to 192 and 192 east to WDW. manning et al gave me these directions a couple of months ago and I used them in December.

We take the 27 to 192 route, too. We enjoy watching the area grow and change through the years, and now that the construction is done on 192 it's a breeze!

I think Roadtripper was referring to an alternate route coming from the North--like coming down I-95 and then not having to get on I-4 at all(?)

If so, I'd like to hear about such a route myself. These last 5 trips, I-4 has been a major headache almost as soon as we got on it.

I am also coming south on 95. Does it matter what time of day you hit I-4? We're going to have some flexibility in that matter, so if there isn't another route, maybe at least we can avoid some of the traffic! I didn't even think of that being a problem! Coming in from Tampa is usually a breeze!

I would also love to hear of an alternate route. I am coming from South Carolina down I-95 to I-4.
Thanks

I-4 from Daytona won't be a problem until you get close to Sanford and Altamonte - then it's a mess.....especially in the AM or after 3 pm...until about 7 or 7:30pm....you can alway hop off I-4 and onto 417 south. That's a toll road but it goes past the airport and south of Orlando and STRAIGHT to Disney!

That's the best route.

Dunnthat

Wow--
I got bumped back up to page 1! According to my new AAA map, it looks like we can take 1-4 to 417, as suggested, entering 417 South at exit 101B. It's worth it to me to pay the tolls, since nothing is worse than driving 22 hours straight and hitting traffic right at the end. However, does anyone know if the Daytona 500 will add even more traffic to the area? Should we plan something else? Thanks!

OK, pardon my lack of map reading savvy... Getting on the toll road (417?) up near Sanford sounds great to me, and I agree that tolls are a small price to pay to avoid Interstate-parking-lots. But doesnt 417 take you a ways east of the Diz complex (that I thot was right on I-4)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:confused: << map dud....

:D

When we came out of the Dollar Rental Car garage, I only remember seeing a sign for the Beeline (528) which we took but I don't want to do that again! Did we miss the South exit 417 sign, or is it past the Beeline exit? ~:D~

Originally posted by SuzyQue
When we came out of the Dollar Rental Car garage, I only remember seeing a sign for the Beeline (528) which we took but I don't want to do that again! Did we miss the South exit 417 sign, or is it past the Beeline exit? ~:D~

If I remeber correctly the rental car area is at the north end of the airport, so all the signs point you to the Beeline Expressway. I'm sure there's a way to get to the south exit, but I haven't been adventurous enough to try to figure it out.

I HATE, despise I-4. I'm sure there are a few posters on this board who already know that about me. :teeth: Anyway, 417 is the way to go. If you get off at Exit 3 it's even easier than Epcot Center drive (exit 6) since it dumps you on the Osceola Parkway which is then a straight shot into the WDW resort, I swear it's barely even a mile (you need to have 25 cents if you use this exit since it is an unmanned toll booth).

Originally posted by SuzyQue

You might have missed it, just look for the 417 South(red signs)which is also Florida Greenway, when you pull out of the rental car areas. We always use National Rental's and never had a problem finding the sign for 417 South to WDW.

I am looking at various on-line maps, and none have 417 linking up with I-4. One option appears to be exiting off I-4 onto 15 south (Monroe Road?). Another is to exit off onto SR-46 east, then south on 431b, to 417. What is the best way.

Much thanks (as I hate I-4 in Orlando).

...and none have 417 linking up with I-4.
In my (paper) road atlas, the last mile or two of the northern part of 417 (which would connect it to I-4) is indicated to be "under construction". I have no idea if that is true, or if it is anywhere near completion.

I also hate I-4, so the idea of using 417 to bypass a lot of it is an intriguing possibility. Using the mapping software that came with my GPS, I compared the two routes:
  1. Taking I-4 all the way through Orlando to Epcot Center Drive
  2. Exiting I-4 onto 46, and then proceeding to 417, following it around to 536, and then Epcot Center Drive
    [/list=1] The first route, being more direct, came in at about 37 miles. The second route measured out to be about 54 miles, or almost 50% longer.

Another factor to consider is that in looking at my paper map, it would appear that you must pass through about 5 toll plazas to make the full trip around 417.

So, at almost 50% longer and with a bunch of toll plazas to go through...Can 417 possibly be a better choice? Considering the backups and congestion I've hit the last few times I've been on I-4, the 417 route just might be worth a try.

Just an update on avoiding I-4:
We just got back, and we took I-4 to exit 101B (marked 110 B on one map), which is Route 417-- the Florida Greenway. It may have been under construction in the past, but it is now open for travel directly from I-4. Tolls to exit 6-- International Drive-- were 4 dollars total, at little 50 cent intervals, and there was no traffic at all. On the way home, we took 417 to 528 East-- the Beeline--to 95 North. Tolls were about 3 dollars (I think), and there was no traffic there, either. We liked the Beeline better, since it seems less like you're going out of your way, and it goes through a nature preserve. My DH says we'll never take I-4 through Orlando again (yippee!).

Roadtripper, Thanks for the great post, I printed it and we will follow it on our trip down in a week. Thanks again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter