How this LGTBQ forum changed our lives...

zeitzeuge

DIS Veteran
I know I might seem to be someone new here, but we actually joined DIS back in 2008. I saw a twitter post about the DIS boards and it made me come back here to check things out (password still works!) and look back at some of our old posts dating back to 2008.

I lurked for year before introducing myself and my partner to the group. It wasn't long before I felt like these people were friends. We built such a comradery amongst ourselves. Those friendships continued to grow and grow. Eventually we started having meet ups at the parks on both coasts. Yes, we convinced diehard WDW fans to make it out to DLR! We went on a group Disney Cruise together which cemented our friendships even further. We celebrated various life events with one another.

Although there was probably around 60 of us that interacted here, a core group of about 25 people became the chosen family that I had been looking for, for a long time. Fast forward about 6 years, all 25 people came to our Disney wedding we had at the Disneyland Resort. What a magical time. It was the first time we had met in person for a handful of people. It felt like meeting long time friends.

The DIS Gay forum after a few years started to die off. We ended creating a private FB group for all of us and it's still going strong today. Fourteen years later, all of these DIS friends are still in our lives. We are always in touch, sharing memories, still meet each other for vacations when we can. Celebrate various life events and are there for one another during some of the toughest times some of us have gone through. Hell, we've seen people meet here and eventually date, then get married. We've even lost a few.

Never underestimate what joining a group here on the DIS can become. Without this forum, I wouldn't have these amazing people in our lives. Cultivate friendships here, as you never where those friendships can take you.

Hugs to everyone

ps this is me and my husband. Been together 16 years, married 8.

Attachments

• Anniversary Session-0049.jpg
    Anniversary Session-0049.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 17
I know I might seem to be someone new here, but we actually joined DIS back in 2008. I saw a twitter post about the DIS boards and it made me come back here to check things out (password still works!) and look back at some of our old posts dating back to 2008.

I lurked for year before introducing myself and my partner to the group. It wasn't long before I felt like these people were friends. We built such a comradery amongst ourselves. Those friendships continued to grow and grow. Eventually we started having meet ups at the parks on both coasts. Yes, we convinced diehard WDW fans to make it out to DLR! We went on a group Disney Cruise together which cemented our friendships even further. We celebrated various life events with one another.

Although there was probably around 60 of us that interacted here, a core group of about 25 people became the chosen family that I had been looking for, for a long time. Fast forward about 6 years, all 25 people came to our Disney wedding we had at the Disneyland Resort. What a magical time. It was the first time we had met in person for a handful of people. It felt like meeting long time friends.

The DIS Gay forum after a few years started to die off. We ended creating a private FB group for all of us and it's still going strong today. Fourteen years later, all of these DIS friends are still in our lives. We are always in touch, sharing memories, still meet each other for vacations when we can. Celebrate various life events and are there for one another during some of the toughest times some of us have gone through. Hell, we've seen people meet here and eventually date, then get married. We've even lost a few.

Never underestimate what joining a group here on the DIS can become. Without this forum, I wouldn't have these amazing people in our lives. Cultivate friendships here, as you never where those friendships can take you.

Hugs to everyone

What an amazing post. Congratulations on your marriage and thanks for making my day!

Hugs to everyone

I love you both to bits! You are right we have been there to share the happiest and the hardest of times.. Birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, births and sadly deaths. Through it all we go quiet from time to time but we always know when we need a laugh, a smile, an ear... simply to let off steam or feel like a kid at heart we can reach out at any time and it's like no time as passed at all. I do miss this place from time to time and am so eternally grateful for our friendships. :love:

Hugs to everyone

Awwww congrats! I’m sure the wedding was amazing.

I'd love to join the Gay Disney FB group if it's still going strong! My partner is supportive of my Disney love but doesn't have a real desire to travel so far to visit (we're in Chicago). I do solo trips so it would be great to connect with other like-minded people!

Thank you for sharing your heartwarming story and the special journey you've had through the DIS community. It's wonderful to hear how your initial connection on the DIS boards led to such meaningful friendships and experiences over the years. It's a testament to the power of online communities in bringing people together and forming lasting bonds.
Your story highlights the importance of finding a community where you feel a sense of belonging and where friendships can grow and flourish. It's incredible that you found your chosen family through your interactions on the DIS boards and that these relationships have stood the test of time. Your Disney wedding and the continued connections and support among your group are truly inspiring.😍

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter