How soon do you start buying for Christmas?

bamamom

DIS Veteran
I know Christmas? But it's now just 6 mos away :santa: . We have a Christmas club that comes out of my hubby's check each week, but I also work part time and I supplement our Christmas budget every year with that. But I am going back to college full time in August and there wont' be any extra money from me this year. I usually don't buy much until the day after Thanksgiving sale :woohoo: and shop all day!! I feel this year I need to buy a little here and there to make up from the income I contributed in the past. When and what are some of the tips you all use when starting your Christmas shopping?

I started before last Christmas! When I looked at my gifts, I discovered a couple of extra, and decided that they would wait. Actually, if I end up getting my DD a camera, her camera bag was bought at WDW on her last trip in......2003! :rotfl:
I bought my nieces/nephews birthday and Christmas gifts in January/February on a Wal-Mart clearance. I will by my DBIL his this month, since come Christmas, there won't be any in the stores (solar lights, I'm thinking).
My sister buys 1 or 2 a month, so that by now she is almost done the extended family.
I keep a record of what I buy on the computer. You DO have to check it regularly. I bought my cousin and her DH dishes last August, forgot that I had bought them, and then bought a grilling cookbook, potholders and gift certificates for the local M&M (frozen meats) store. Oh, well, another set of gifts bought for this year!

I start the day after Christmas to buy gift wrap and Christmas decorations (either for my house or for gifts). I buy throughout the year when I find a good sale (Amazon's toy clearance last month, for example). Target usually has a toy clearance in the summer. I buy winter clothes, Christmas candles, etc. for the following Christmas when they go on clearance. I also shop the Bath and Body Works semi-annual sale (going on now) for teacher gifts and hostess gifts for the holidays.

I don't shop completely for my kids until December, though, since the "must have" toys in our house are not usually decided until then!

I started buying Bath & Bodyworks items in March, but not just for Christmas gifts. These will be for neighbors, to go with other kitchen stuff, as well as for various aunts and friends.

I've done two disneyshopping.com sales. And all my kids on my list are done as well as DS' teachers.

My goal is to be done before October 1st. I will do all of my hard-to-buy-for people when I go to NY and hit the outlets in NJ!

:woohoo:

I started the day after Christmas, too. I bought gift wrap, cards, clearance yankee candles and clearance bath and bodyworks gift sets. Then I just watch for sales and pick up what I need as I go. Some of them end up as birthday gifts then the rest go for Christmas. I did alot during the Amazon toy sales last month, too. I think now is a good time to shop, when the stores aren't packed and if you think ahead to what you want to buy everyone you can watch for sales and get a better deal than last minute shopping.

usually the day after I buy items for teachers, etc. along with wrapping paper, etc. other than that I usually start in the summer for the kids when disneyshopping and the store has their sales. Im really not buying much this year as the kids have so many bathing suits and PJ Pals. they both havent grown so Im not going to buy a bigger size like I did last year. Im not going to hit the sales like before and hide everything away in the attic either. gift cards are my motto this year. I have made the kids xmas list though. they are getting one big joint gift and a few must haves that I suspect I will not know till closer to the holidays. If the one gift goes on sale at the end of the summer, than it will be bought and stored somewhere but otherwise Im not going to get burned like last year and be finished by the beginning of October and find out my kiddos want something else.. It isnt as easy as it was when they were younger! ;)

I started when B&BW & YC had their sale after Christmas. I hate to shop, & do most of mine online. I've finished shopping for the females on my list. I keep hoping someone will post some great deals for men on here. :teeth: I've also bought a few things for my DH already. I'm hoping to finish my shopping for everyone, except our DS(14) by Oct. He changes his mind too often to buy his early, & his gifts are where most of our Christmas budget is spent. :sad2:

I'm a round the year Christmas shopper. :santa: I look for great sales and buy then. I can't buy the "S" word presents until closer, but I can get the rest out of the way. My kids gifts from us are already done.

I feel that shopping this way saves money and time closer to the holidays. As long as you don't shop for more than you want to. I've heard some people go overboard this way by buying more or see something different the kids/others might like and buy that too. You can get into trouble that way, but I tend to make a list and stick with it. The kids only get 3 gifts for Christmas Including one from Santa. :santa:

We pick up stuff when we go on vacation too if it's something that's practical for that person in mind.

I have a gift closet I keep all these presents in until I wrap them the 1st week of Christmas. No Christmas club here, but I think I would spend more if I had one. We have an amount budgeted for each person and try not to go over it. The only thing we do last minute for Christmas is tips and teacher's gifts. :teacher:

Have fun shopping!

Going to NH and passing the Kittery outlets. Going to do some damage there! :santa:

kinntj said:
I'm a round the year Christmas shopper. :santa: I look for great sales and buy then. I can't buy the "S" word presents until closer, but I can get the rest out of the way. My kids gifts from us are already done.

I feel that shopping this way saves money and time closer to the holidays. As long as you don't shop for more than you want to. I've heard some people go overboard this way by buying more or see something different the kids/others might like and buy that too. You can get into trouble that way, but I tend to make a list and stick with it. The kids only get 3 gifts for Christmas Including one from Santa. :santa:

We pick up stuff when we go on vacation too if it's something that's practical for that person in mind.

I have a gift closet I keep all these presents in until I wrap them the 1st week of Christmas. No Christmas club here, but I think I would spend more if I had one. We have an amount budgeted for each person and try not to go over it. The only thing we do last minute for Christmas is tips and teacher's gifts. :teacher:

Have fun shopping!

I no longer shop too much ahead, because I end up with too much stuff, as well as items that no longer "work" for me as gifts. My kids are older now (14, almost 12 and 9 1/2), which makes a difference, too.

I have picked up a few things, but I generally wait until about October.

What I do, however, is keep a running list on my PDA about ideas for gifts. Then, when October rolls around, I consider what is on the list, and if it's still appropriate. I try and buy with a Michael's 40% off coupon, and a Linens and Things or Bed, Bath and Betond 20% off coupon.

I also buy gift cards for some of DH's family........not everyone, his family is too big! But he has 2 siblings that are unmarried, and pretty poor, so I like to treat them. I also get some gift cards for other family members, and I try and buy one a month.

I also buy Target gift cards all year, since I shop there alot at Xmas. Those GC's help pay.

Finally, I put away money each month.

If money were to be tight, I would scan the ads now and really look at a couple of stores, and get ideas for family members. Then I would try and buy one a month

julia

I start whenever I see a good sale.

Just this past week at Target, the $80.00 Bionicle set DS8 wants was on clearance for $40.00. You bet I got one!!! :cool1:

I started months ago.

Anytime there is a sale I have been getting stuff, for example the American Girl sale on books I got 8 for $5.00 with shipping to split up for the girls b-day or Christmas gifts.

I get up before everyone on Christmas morning, and there have been many times I have been on the computer on Christmas morning buying for next year! Many on-line stores do their christmas markdowns on christmas day, so I am getting a jump start!

I don't buy nearly as much as I use to because my kids are older and its harder to buy for them early. I did get DD a set of hot rollers at Krogers yesterday for $4.99, they were 75% off and that was something she had wanted.

I buy all the time and have things that I'll be giving to my daughter this year (she'll be nearly three at Christmas) that I bought on Christmas sales the month before she was born! In other words, if I see something that would make a lovely gift for someone and the price is right, I buy it right then and there, put a sticky note on it with ideas of for whom and what holiday it could be for and put it on a special shelf in my closet (which has been divided into sections for kids/family, kids/friends, adult/family and adult/friends).

Like a PP, I do a lot of shopping online on Christmas day, too. Many online stores have deep markdowns that go into effect on Christmas day and while the kids play, eat or nap I get online and do a bit to replenish the shelves. Target's orange tags keep the shelf full through the year as well, as does Michael's markdown, Talbot's clearance and Kohl's clearance.

I usually start at the after-Christmas sales. If I see anything that catches my eye. Also, I stock up now on Bath & Body works- I already have a bunch of stuff for my mom (her birthday is also Feb 25th so I can even save until then if I get a few items too many). The wallflowers for $5 make great gifts, and I've made up a bunch of B&BW sets myself for only about $11, and just yesterday found a scent 75% off and bought the splash, gel and lotion for $2.37 a piece. Can make it into a nice gift basket, especially when Michael's has their coupons/sales.

I also just buy when I see something for a great deal. After xmas I found some really cute oversized mugs at Kohl's for about $1.50 a piece. I am giving them as sets to DBF's family and also bought mini-lotions and men's shave gel that fit in them from the B&BW sale. Will fill up as the year goes on and I find little things to put in them.

I also bought a gift through the amazon.com toy sale for my neice- although long story, it got sent back and I was refunded... but I tried!! :rotfl:

I also have a "christmas club" that I made myself- I have a certain amt taken out each week into my ING account. And within the two weeks after Christmas I have my parents' anniversary, SIL's bday, dad's bday, and DBF's bday to buy for so I include that in my xmas budget.

Most of my purchases are the day after Thanksgiving.

We decide last year in November to goto Disney with the whole family for Christmas this year.

I started buying stuff last November. I knew I couldnt afford not to. I have been preaching to the rest of the family to get all they can now to make there trip more affordable in December. They think Im a Disney nut! Lets see who has more money for their trip?? This will be there first trip to Disney and everyones first time to US and IoA.

I made t-shirts for all 7 kids
boogie boards...hope the weather is good!
Disneys childrens cup with the lids, straws and caps
bubbles
kites
pool toys

fancy Christmas candles for each family

I will buy things every week.

We paid off our portion of the villa! That makes me happy!!!!
Next week we are buying our US and IoA passes.

The rest of my family hasnt done anything! They will be short on cash and overwhelmed in November and December. I dont know why they wont listen. I give up on them! Then they will tell me they didnt like going to Orlando for Christmas. it was to much money...ect...

I guess it is when you do NOT budget and plan!!

I start the day after Christmas!

I spend the whole year buying close-out toys and clothing for the kids in the family.

Last week our Salvation Army got the left over of boxes and boxes of beautiful bath and body supply stuff. It is a set of a metal tray with 8 different bath and body lotions, creams, oils and such. All brand new. they were selling them for $2 each (they must have been close to $20 each in the store). I bought 16 of them!

I also got some close-out beautiful picture frames (ceramic) for 50 cents each. They are new and have a $10 tag on them. I will fill them with a picture and voila.....a gift for 70 cents that looks like I spent over $10 on them!

This is the only way I can shop! I HATE having to go out for last min. gifts and actually spending retail.

Dawn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter