How often is TOO often to get a perm

ONCE!!! LOL kidding!!!
I try to avoid doing ANYTHING to my hair other than blow-dry as mine is sooo destroyed from frequent hair coloring :(
I would suggest you ask your hair-cutter, because everyones hair is different. Some people can handle a lot of stress, while others (esp. those with very fine hair) cannot!

I am definatly not an expert (if i was, my hair would not look as it does)! But that is my best advice. Even if you do not get your hair permed by them (if you do at home?). If you do not have a regular, then you can walk into any salon and talk to someone who works there :)

I would say for me...too often would be more then once a year....but I haven't had a perm since 1997 and that was a bad perm that has ruined me for life...I'll never get another perm again...thank goodness my hair has grown out.

You should allow 4-6 weeks between any chemical hair treatment - perms, straightening, color. I haven't had my hair permed in years, been using it's natural curl for a few years. I like the control of a perm and my hair will hold it for a year if I don't cut if off. Whenever I mention to my stylist that I 'need" a perm" she gets that look, like NO, you don't want to do that. I used to have a perm always during the 80's/early 90's but then straight or natural styles became popular.

I have had two in Fifty years, both where to often...I looked like:scared1: One my Mother did to me at age 10...The last I did to myself or paid for myself I just started laughing when the beautician took the rolls out...I knew I had made a big mistake. Didn't want to cry.

For me, once was too much. I've been trying to fix it without cutting my hair every since. Between the original perm, and the perms to make it not look so weird as it all grows out, my ends are damaged. So soon, I will be cutting quite a bit of it off. :eek:

Talk to your hair stylist. I imagine it depends on the type of hair you have and if you keep it well conditioned.

I used to get perms because my hair is straight as can be with no body. I finally got sick of it though - Having to time it so it would be at the "right"stage for big events or pictures! The first few weeks it looked bad, the last few weeks it looked bad - so you'd only have few weeks I liked it!! Plus mine would take FOREVER to "take" and then would come out very quickly. Anyway - I finally gave in and got a cut that works with my hair the way it is. And I've been VERY happy with it ever since!

I've heard you shouldn't get a perm more often than once every 6 months. Longer than that if you have any kind of hair damage.

Debbie, it sounds like we have the same kind of hair. Mine is naturally super straight, not much body. Everyone tells me my hair texture is what's "in" now.

I get mine permed every 3 months - like clockwork! I have not had any problems at all with damaged hair. 2 months after the perm, I get it cut. I have been on this schedule for over 10 years.

I get 4 perms per year. I also have my hair colored - every 6 weeks. My stylist has me wait one week after the perm for color. I have thick, strong hair - but not sure how long it'll hold up with this kind of chemical treatment. Eventually, I'm going to stop the perming & just do the color (egads! I'm REALLY getting gray!)

i get my hair chemically relaxed, and my stylist suggests at least 6 months in between treatments.

My hair is fine but thick, and grows faster than anybody my stylist has seen before. I get a perm every 7 weeks, because by doing that, I can have it done on big rods and can like the way it looks all the way through. I've done it like this for a lot of years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!