• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

How often do you paint the rooms in your house? Do it yourself?

HeatherC

Alas...these people I live with ...
We have been in our house 16 1/2 years....we had it built in 2000. We have painted along the way, but it is now time to do again. Several years of grime seem to accumulate everywhere.

Yesterday I bought paint for my laundry room, kitchen, front foyer and all the trim since the paint store was having a 40 percent off sale. Unfortunately, now it needs to be done!

I painted the foyer walls today. Still need to do the trim, but boy what a difference a fresh coat makes.

So how often do you paint and do you pay someone or do it yourself?

I do a room here or there every couple of years. I painted the kids rooms just before we moved in 2.5 years ago. Painted the front room and great room (family/dining/kitchen) in September/October. Up next is the downstairs bathroom. Sometime this year I'll start on the hall upstairs, the loft and then my room. After that it'll be time to hit the kids rooms again. Do it all myself, it's like therapy for me.

I don't know, I never really kept track. I've been here 16 years and the rooms I have painted the most have been painted 3 times, so on average every 5 years or so.

We pay someone to paint for us. DH has a bad back and I absolutely hate it. The bathroom and living room were painted about 3 years ago. The kitchen and dining room was probably closer to 8 years ago. The bedroom it's been forever. We actually did that one with some weird Ralph Lauren suede technique - it will probably need a ton of primer before it could be painted something else.

Every couple of years I either freshen up current paint or get a whole different color. I do it myself

I paint it every 8 years or so and I do it myself. My dh hates to paint so he supervises lol We are doing some updating and I will be painting it this spring/fall.

When I was a kid my dad let me pick a new paint color every two years for my bedroom. I am not that good I go about every 4 years for most rooms other than the bathroom, that is every two years.

We've lived in this house for 13 years. I've painted almost every room about 3-4x. No set schedule. I just repaint a room when I feel like it. And I always do the work myself.

We've lived here 18 years and I've only painted once! That was basically because the construction grade paint was lousy. I know it's out of fashion but I'm still in various shades of neutral beige tones with white trim. I have done the trim a few extra times. That seems to freshen it up IMO.

I am starting to think about doing the bathrooms again, but that's really just to change the color. The paint has held up well.

I do it myself and I'm not looking forward to it. High ceilings mean scaffolding etc. is involved.

I always do it myself, but I hate painting. I used to enjoy it, but now it's just become a chore. I don't have the patience for the edging and finer details and I can't stand doing ceilings. It's been about three years since I've painted any room - at that time, I repainted our entire downstairs - and I try to paint about every 5 years. Several rooms are long overdue: our bedroom, a couple bathrooms, the basement...

I bought paint about three months ago to paint the upstairs hallway and stairwell. It's still sitting in the corner staring at me. Ugh. Maybe this summer...unless I can find more excuses!

Built in 2004, painted most of the house in 2006. We weren't fond of builder beige. We hired a painter for that. The kids rooms were painted after they were born. I do the occasional touch up, but we haven't done a full paint job since then.

I always do it myself, but I hate painting. I used to enjoy it, but now it's just become a chore. I don't have the patience for the edging and finer details and I can't stand doing ceilings. It's been about three years since I've painted any room - at that time, I repainted our entire downstairs - and I try to paint about every 5 years. Several rooms are long overdue: our bedroom, a couple bathrooms, the basement...

I bought paint about three months ago to paint the upstairs hallway and stairwell. It's still sitting in the corner staring at me. Ugh. Maybe this summer...unless I can find more excuses!
I get these brushes called Shortcuts. They are angled and have a flexible handle. Perfect for cutting in. I don't have to tape off anymore with them. The taping is the part I hate most so that's taken the chore part of it out for me.

Best brush ever.
https://www.amazon.com/Wooster-Brush-Q3211-2-Shortcut-Paintbrush/dp/B002YC06T2

I've lived in my house close to 10 years now. Most of the rooms were painted within a year of moving in because they were all boring beige. The kitchen and my bedroom/bath have since been repainted again. I'm thinking of updating a few other rooms soon. No, I don't do it myself.

We've lived here 15 years and the only rooms I''ve painted are the ones we wanted a different color. Some areas could use another coat, though. We do it ourselves.

We do it ourselves and it needs it again, but it's low on the list of things that need done.

As a heritage buff (and lazy).... last painted 40 years ago. A quick dusting or a wet rag is all I need. I guess being a non-smoker makes a difference.

Outside? I had recently had liquid vinyl applied. I just power wash it when its dirty.

We rent, so...

The landlady let us redo the bathroom a few months ago, because she thought at the time that she was going to talk us into buying this place. Not happening, not unless I get a generous book contract or otherwise come into some money.

Moved into our house in 2011 and we just repainted basically the whole house last month. We had professional painters do the job. They did in 2 days what would have taken us 2 months. Well worth the money ☺

We haven't painted anything in about 6 years. I've done a few rooms myself but mostly have had a professional.

The whole downstairs, stairwell and upstairs hallway are the same soft buttery yellow color. It's held up really well with a touch up here and there.

Having all one color makes the downstairs flow nicely and look bigger but it means,the whole space needs to be redone at once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter