How Often Are Room Upgrades Given?

BWV Dreamin

DIS Veteran
Our last cruise we were given an upgrade from a cat 11 to a 5C! This was a pleasant surprise. We have a navigators verandah booked and wonder if we would get a random upgrade? If so, to what since we already have a verandah? We are a party of two so I think we were moved to make room for a larger party.

Ummm. . . I'm going to say based on my years here on the DIS and my personal experience not often at all. We have sailed 42 times with DCL and have gotten one free upgrade and that was because it was on a nearly empty transatlantic sailing 7-8 years ago! I think they moved everyone up on that sailing and then offered great cast member rates.

Very rare IF they happen on a non-GTY or non*GT booking, it is almost always last-minute and due to some kind of issue with the cabin. In the case of an 11, most likely there was some kind of issue such as plumbing, etc. that means the cabin has to be taken out of service.

They can happen on GTY or *GT bookings, but you still usually get the category you booked.

I agree with Beth, based on what I have seen on this and other message boards your upgrade was almost certainly from your original room being unavailable. Most upgrades available are sold at port so there is little incentive to upgrade someone for free. If they could have gotten someone else to pay $200 for that upgrade they would have, so everything in me says that your original room was not available and that was the easiest place for them to move you (as well as a move that they knew you probably wouldn't complain about).

Or maybe the last person that the check-in CM had to deal with was such a pain and you were a breath of fresh air so they decided then and there to upgrade you. I'm going to put that in the "not impossible but I wouldn't bet on it" category. :sunny:

Last edited:
I agree with Beth, based on what I have seen on this and other message boards your upgrade was almost certainly from your original room being unavailable. Most upgrades available are sold at port so there is little incentive to upgrade someone for free. If they could have gotten someone else to pay $200 for that upgrade they would have, so everything in me says that your original room was not available and that was the easiest place for them to move you (as well as a move that they knew you probably wouldn't complain about).

The only other time I have ever heard about it was because a performer (guest, not regular DCL entertainment team) had family coming on board that needed a cabin. But given that the OP was in an inside, that is highly unlikely.

In 10 Disney cruises, we've never been offered one. In one cruise on Princess and one on HAL, we were offered upgrades both times!

been upgraded twice out of the 6 cruises. once to a room with a large porthole, and not sure if you call it an upgrade but I will, we got moved to one of the disabled accessible rooms (alot larger sqft etc)

In 10 Disney cruises, we've never been offered one. In one cruise on Princess and one on HAL, we were offered upgrades both times!

That's cool. I have heard of them offering upsells much more frequently than upgrades. But upgrades can happen. :)

But again, I would never book a cabin I wouldn't be happy in hoping for an upgrade.

I like how RCCL has their preferences section set up - once you have a Crown and Anchor Society account set up and have cruised once you can set upgrade preferences like: an upgrade period or an upgrade with these restrictions (not a lower floor, not an accessible cabin, if linked not without the other cabin, etc.)

Our last cruise we were given an upgrade from a cat 11 to a 5C! This was a pleasant surprise. We have a navigators verandah booked and wonder if we would get a random upgrade? If so, to what since we already have a verandah? We are a party of two so I think we were moved to make room for a larger party.

Very, very rarely and usually for a specific circumstance behind the scenes (they need THAT room to resolve an issue or something broke in it and they need to have time to fix it). If you got an upgrade from a 7A it would have to be to a full verandah, a larger one or midship, or even to concierge I should think! :)

Best I've had is booking IGT and getting an 11B instead of 11C, lol!

I'm about to go on my 21st Disney cruise. I've been upgraded (on a non-GTY booking) exactly once. The ship was pretty empty that time. Even booking GTY, book a category that won't devastate you if you end up having to stay in it.

I'm about to go on my 21st Disney cruise. I've been upgraded (on a non-GTY booking) exactly once. The ship was pretty empty that time. Even booking GTY, book a category that won't devastate you if you end up having to stay in it.

Or if there are some categories that Disney classifies above yours that you wouldn't be happy with. I gambled once for my beloved 8B (obviously it was a GTY Deluxe Family Ocean View and not GTY 8B, but still...) and got midship Deck 5 verandah which (I know I am "crazy" according to most on here) I HATED and did not consider an upgrade. Too low, too mid, way too much verandah (too little shade) and WAY too close to the kids' clubs. That alone convinced me never again for GTY unless I was doing it for a category that was above those cabins. (And never *GT if I could ever even do any of those.)

Or if there are some categories that Disney classifies above yours that you wouldn't be happy with. I gambled once for my beloved 8B (obviously it was a GTY Deluxe Family Ocean View and not GTY 8B, but still...) and got midship Deck 5 verandah which (I know I am "crazy" according to most on here) I HATED and did not consider an upgrade. Too low, too mid, way too much verandah (too little shade) and WAY too close to the kids' clubs. That alone convinced me never again for GTY unless I was doing it for a category that was above those cabins. (And never *GT if I could ever even do any of those.)

I admit I am also worried about getting put on deck 5. We don't have kids so I am sure there are others that would love it more to start with but the low ceiling makes me feel uncomfortable...! :guilty:

I admit I am also worried about getting put on deck 5. We don't have kids so I am sure there are others that would love it more to start with but the low ceiling makes me feel uncomfortable...! :guilty:

I forgot about that. Yes, the ceiling felt lower. I managed, but it was definitely not my favorite cabin.

Our last upgrade was on the 2011 Med Cruise. I did book 11GTY. Maybe that is why the upgrade happened.

Can you request NOT to get an upgrade?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter