How much to charge for kids clothes at a garage sale?

TupperMom7

DIS Veteran
:confused3 How much should I charge for children's clothes at a garage sale. Most of the items are from JCPenney, average cost $15 a piece new. There might be some dresses in there that were $30 new, I haven't checked yet. I also have some baby clothes.

How much should I price them at? I want to get rid of them, not necessarily make a ton of money on them. Is 25 cents a piece too little? :confused:

Also, when you are selling clothing, do you wash and iron it all first? Wash and fold it or what?

Thanks!:cloud9:

I priced everything at .50. The only things that I marked separately and were more were the winter coats, ski pants and snow boots. Even then coats were $5, ski pants $2 and winter boots $2. One thing I found worked really well was fill a bag (paper grocery bag) for $5.

I agree with the previous poster, charge .50 or 1.00 depending on the item. People will probably try to bargin with you anyways.

at a quarter they'll sell probably very quickly. So if that's the goal then that's a good price point. If they are all in really good condition I'd start at .50 each piece or $1 an outfit. Price some of the nicer stuff seperately though. Dresses normally go for $3-$10 depending on the outfit.

Just make sure the clothes are clean and folded and sorted by size/gender. That helps a ton since most ppl won't dig for things no matter the price.

I wouldn't bother ironing anything as everyone is just going to take them home to wash anyway.

If you think you shoul be getting more, try looking into a consignment shop. If there is one around you. I know that around me, there is one that will only take brand name and newer clothes. This way you can get more than .25. Good luck

The mother of a friend had a yard sale related hobby.

She would go to yard sales and look for pretty classic type little girls dresses, the kind that never go out of style, and buy them cheap.

She would wash and iron the dresses and put them on hangers in cleaners bags.
And when she collected enough she would advertise her girl's sale and sell the dresses for $5, $8, $10.

So, people were actually paying for her good taste and the time that she spent finding the dresses.
And some people would watch for her sales.

I don't generally buy clothes at garage sales or sell my kids' clothes there. I generally am looking for more out of them than $0.50 each, so I sell them at a twice yearly consignment sale.

That said, I would probably pay $1 for t-shirts or for a gallon bag of matched socks, $2-4 for jean shorts or jeans in great shape, and as much as $5 for dresses in really condition at a garage sale.

But I think most people are looking for things priced much lower than me.

I'd start with $1 apiece, especially if they are in good shape. I was thrilled to get a bunch of pants for my DS at a yard sale last year and I though $1 each was a very fair price. I also sell a lot of my son's stuff at consignment sales and stores. You do usually get a little more $$ that way.

I try to price my items to sell but also to get something back. I try to think what I would pay for it if I were buying it at a rummage sale. I usually mark things $.50 up to $2.00. Shirts, PJ's, etc...$.50 but nice jeans I will put $1.00 to $2.00 If you are selling nice winter jackets, etc... I usually will put up to $5.00 on them depending on the brand. Bigger items I usually mark for 1/4 of the price new as long as it's in great shape.

You should make two tags for the clothes to show the buyers the original price of the clothes. I think 25 cent is really a bargain for a $25 dress.

I usually do $1 for pants and .50 for tops a little more like $1 if its a dressy top. summer dresses 50-$1 I havent sold any fancy kids dresses yet because i'd want more for those

We have had success at 50 cents an item. If it is good denim $2, dresses $1-2, Boots $2 and halloween costumes $2-4 for disney. If they bought over 8 items I would discount after they were finished picking everything out. Good Luck.

I made the mistake of mom2mom sale pricing my kids clothes when I tried a garage sale a couple yrs ago. I had people trying to talk me down on everything, and I didn't ask more than $2 for a super cute, great condition SET or OUTFIT. Nothing was more than $1 for an item. It was annoying. The customers wanted me to basically give everything away, especially if they were buying more than one item. So I say price it for the very least you would want to get for it, and hope for the best.

I do $1/piece or $5/bag (I provide a ton of plastic shopping bags). If people are careful, they can get a lot for $5. I place these in bins labeled Boy ages 0-2 or Girls 3-5 or whatever I have that yard sale. Special items (i.e holiday clothes, snow suits, etc.), I rubber band together (if multiple pieces) and place a separate tag on these (i.e. $2-$8) and place in a separate bin. It alleviates some of the, "Do you have this size?" or "Do you have any...?". Most of my kids clothes are Gymboree or Children's Place or Gap (but I only buy clearance items from the previous year when on sale and with a coupon or reward points from the stores, thus, I make about 1/3 -1/2 of what I spent back and other's are getting good quality items for much less than they would spend retail.) Most people will spend a $1 for good quality items!

Wow, you guys don't ask for much. I used to sell my kids clothes at a twice-yearly kids/baby sale in my neighborhood. I never priced anything under $1 and usually asked closer to $5 for the better stuff. A lot of it got bought and whatever didn't went back in to the sale box for the next sale. And this was 10 years ago.

Around here clothes at yard sales don't sell unless they're dirt cheap. DD has always worn mostly Gymboree, some JC Penney, and some Target. (Now she's into Justice, but we haven't tried to sell any of that stuff yet.) I couldn't sell much of anything for over $1, no matter how good the condition was.

We're planning a yard sale soon, and I have everything priced .50 and 1.00 each. If I had any fancy dresses -- holiday or party dresses -- I would price them 2.00 or 3.00, but I gave all those away recently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter