How much luck have you had getting FP+ for a large group

marshallandcartersmo

DIS Veteran
During a busy time...

Going July 4th week, needing to make FP+ for a group of 9. We'll stay together for rope drop & first FP+, then split up.
Staying onsite the day before our weeklong stay off-site, so should be able to make FP+ 60 days out.

Just wondering if I should even attempt all 9 together, or start with smaller groups.
TIA

My son's down there right now with a high school group. They only got their ticket numbers about a month ago so had to wait until then to book. He was booking for a group of 9 friends and had very little trouble getting what he wanted. I know he didn't try for 7DMT but did get Splash, Space, BTMRR, Soarin, Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror, Star Tours, Everest, Kali, Dinosaur.

During a busy time...

Going July 4th week, needing to make FP+ for a group of 9. We'll stay together for rope drop & first FP+, then split up.
Staying onsite the day before our weeklong stay off-site, so should be able to make FP+ 60 days out.

Just wondering if I should even attempt all 9 together, or start with smaller groups.
TIA

We were a group of 8 last summer and for our pre-scheduled FPs I was able to keep us as 1 group for most rides (including ToT, TSMM, EE, Frozen, and Soarin'). I had to split us into 2 smaller groups for Peter Pan and 7DMT on one day (but kept us as one group for 7DMT for a day later in the week). I always started as a group of 8 and if there wasn't anything available, I immediately switched to 2 groups of 4. The 2 things I couldn't keep us together for were popular rides both on Day 1 of our trip so I wasn't surprised that I had to split us. I had no trouble getting overlapping times for our groups on PP & 7DMT. I think the start times were 10 minutes apart.

As far as additional/same-day FPs, sometimes we were able to get them as a group but if it was for a popular ride (like TSMM) we had to split into smaller groups.

I had a group of 10 there last week (very busy time) staying offsite so I only had the 30 day rolling window.
I was able to get FP+ for attractions such as TT, TOT, TSMM, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, 7DMT...
I did have to do a lot of modifying but it was well worth it and worked out much better than I planned since I usually stay onsite and with a smaller party.

We are always a large group - minimum 8 to 12 people. Last summer we were needed either 10 or 11 depending on the day and I got us together for 7 days. You should not have a problem. One day I had to change close to the day - I couldn't get 10 exactly but we all overlapped for 30 minutes. You will be fine. Enjoy!

Well our trip is May19 so....60 days out i was up bright and early in northern Ill at 5:50am...CST I booked 14 adults on SMT and HM and then split 8 on Space Mt and some on Buzz... so guess anything is possible but you are going at a busy time....

I had a group of 10 there last week (very busy time) staying offsite so I only had the 30 day rolling window.
I was able to get FP+ for attractions such as TT, TOT, TSMM, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, 7DMT...
I did have to do a lot of modifying but it was well worth it and worked out much better than I planned since I usually stay onsite and with a smaller party.

What kind of modifying did you have to do?

What kind of modifying did you have to do?

An example was when I checked for morning FP+ for TT it said there were none.
So I booked 1:20pm and then modified and suddenly 1:05pm was available rinse and repeat and I got my FP+ time down to 9:40am which is what I wanted to begin with.
I also did that with 7DMT.

Our party of 8 stayed offsite during Spring Break 3/13-17 and I got everything we wanted at 30 days out (day by day) including SDMT (much later in PM than desired, but I got it!). I booked for 8 almost every time. We didn't want FEA so split 4/4 for TT & Soarin' due to individual preferences - that was the only exception.

I have booked for a group of 50....60 days out. Managed to get all things in Epcot, DHS, and AK together but at MK we split up more. You can always break your group in half and get overlapping times too.

I recently booked all my fast passes for my group of 9, 60 days out, for travel this June. Had no trouble getting fast passes for anything, including the new Pandora rides, FEA, SDMT, etc etc.

An example was when I checked for morning FP+ for TT it said there were none.
So I booked 1:20pm and then modified and suddenly 1:05pm was available rinse and repeat and I got my FP+ time down to 9:40am which is what I wanted to begin with.
I also did that with 7DMT.

Gotcha. And you did that for the entire party of 10, without having to split them up and get overlapping times? How much time (roughly) elapsed between the times you were rinsing and repeating? Were you doing it back to back to back, or did you wait 30 minutes...an hour...a day?

I've done something similar to what you describe, though not quite as strategically as you mention. We've done it more out of luck/curiosity where we check at some point to see if something else opens. We're a family of 5, so we're not that big of a party. I haven't tried to do it much, but sometimes I wonder if we'd have more success for things like FEA or 7DMT if we split up to groups of 2 and 3, and then find overlapping times. Or would it probably make no difference? Remember, we stay offsite, so we have a 30 day window, not 60. We've looked into throwaway rooms, but decided it's not worth the $125 cost.

Gotcha. And you did that for the entire party of 10, without having to split them up and get overlapping times? How much time (roughly) elapsed between the times you were rinsing and repeating? Were you doing it back to back to back, or did you wait 30 minutes...an hour...a day?

I've done something similar to what you describe, though not quite as strategically as you mention. We've done it more out of luck/curiosity where we check at some point to see if something else opens. We're a family of 5, so we're not that big of a party. I haven't tried to do it much, but sometimes I wonder if we'd have more success for things like FEA or 7DMT if we split up to groups of 2 and 3, and then find overlapping times. Or would it probably make no difference? Remember, we stay offsite, so we have a 30 day window, not 60. We've looked into throwaway rooms, but decided it's not worth the $125 cost.

I modified for the entire party of 10. I didn't split up.
At first that is what I was going to do but that became very difficult and stressful because I could not find overlapping times.
I modified back to back to back.
I just kept going back to my FP+ choices for the day and chose TT and clicked modify, selected all 10 guests in my party, and clicked next. They give you 3 time chocies and the first one kept being earlier and earlier than what I had just had.
It took a while to do but I have the time and like to play the game lol.

I was in charge of of acquiring FPs for our September trip. Group of 13. I was able to get everything we wanted including FEA, 7DMT, all the popular ones. I was also able to change the whole group to other times several times while there as our plans changed.

I did FP for a group of 19 for Feb trip (over the President's week). The only trouble I had was I wanted to book a lot of them back to back (like 9-10, 10-11, 11-12) and for some reason I kept getting 5 minute overlaps. So I would book the first for 9-10 and then the second one I couldn't get exactly 10:00. It would show me 9:55 or 10:15. I eventually got things where I wanted, but it was a bit of a hassle. I did not have any trouble getting the rides I wanted though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter