How much filling to get for finger sandwiches?

maslex

DIS Veteran
Ok, so I'm doing a small baby shower for my sister's son/girlfriend. They live in a different state but will be coming up in a couple weeks so we can meet the baby. Since we live apart from each other, the family/friends from this area were not able to make the baby shower back in January. So I decided that when they came up for this visit, I would throw a little shower for them with the family/friends down here. There will be about 20-22 people (including kids) and this is what is on the menu:

Finger sandwiches
Pasta salad
Spinach Dip
Fruit Salad
Chips & Dip
Cupcakes

Party will be for 1:00. I'm thinking of making 60 sandwiches that way people can have 2-3. I'm going to have chicken salad, egg salad and ham salad. Unfortunately, I won't have enough time to make all three so I'm planning on buying it from the grocery store, thankfully they're pretty good there. I just don't know how much I should buy of each kind. I'm using the type of sandwich rolls that are split on the top and you just fill with the ham salad, etc. Any ideas on how much of each filling I should get?

I usually figure about five servings a pound for that type of sandwich filling. I would agree with the previous poster and buy about six pounds. I think you will have some leftovers, but I never mind that! Have a nice party!

When you say 60 sandwiches do you mean 60 quarters of a sandwich? 2 lbs of 3 salads would be an ounce and a half per sandwich, not enough for anything other than a small bite. I'd err on the side of saving extra salad. You can always put egg salad out without bread if you need more food.

Before you order 3 mayonnaise-based sandwich fillings, do you know if everyone likes mayonnaise? I might do a non-mayonnaise based sandwich in addition to 2 of the other 3 choices.

Is the pasta salad also made w/ mayonnaise, or is it made w/ oil & vinegar (Italian dressing)?

I am one of the picky people who would not eat any of the sandwiches. I just can't eat mayonnaise. However, I will say that most people like those types of sandwiches. I am not sure about little kids though. I thought the buns you choose looks cute. Another idea is to use Hawaiian rolls and have turkey or ham inside them?

Have fun, it sound fun!

Before you order 3 mayonnaise-based sandwich fillings, do you know if everyone likes mayonnaise? I might do a non-mayonnaise based sandwich in addition to 2 of the other 3 choices.

Is the pasta salad also made w/ mayonnaise, or is it made w/ oil & vinegar (Italian dressing)?

That's a good point - I'm assuming the spinach dip is mayo based also. What about doing a sandwich tray? I know my sister did Subway for an event last year and it went over well - small ham, turkey and roast beef sandwiches with the toppings and have various condiments available. Other sandwich shops (Jimmy John's, Panera, Jersey Mike's, etc.) also do catering of small sandwiches where you could get a variety.

Wow, never even thought of all the sandwiches and salad and dip having mayo. The pasta dish has a dressing like a broccoli salad would. Little mayo with some vinegar, sugar, salt/pepper, so it's not loaded with it like a potato or mac salad would be. Thanks for the ideas though.

Wow, never even thought of all the sandwiches and salad and dip having mayo. The pasta dish has a dressing like a broccoli salad would. Little mayo with some vinegar, sugar, salt/pepper, so it's not loaded with it like a potato or mac salad would be. Thanks for the ideas though.

I don't eat mayonnaise, so I would nibble on some chips (w/o the dip), fruit salad, & a cupcake. :-) Even if the pasta salad isn't "loaded" w/ mayonnaise, I'd still pass on it.

Most people do like mayonnaise, however, so it may not even be a problem for your guests. If I were you, though, I'd try to offer at least one mayonnaise free option in addition to the fruit & cupcakes.

Maybe chicken salad, egg salad, & plain ham sandwiches? I'm thinking the really finely shaved ham might work well w/ the same kind of bread & be pretty. (The thinly sliced deli meats end up looking "curly" & fancy.) And then maybe have a little dish of Dijon mustard beside the ham sandwiches. The children who are coming to the shower might prefer the plain ham sandwiches too.

I am one of the picky people who would not eat any of the sandwiches. I just can't eat mayonnaise. However, I will say that most people like those types of sandwiches. I am not sure about little kids though. I thought the buns you choose looks cute. Another idea is to use Hawaiian rolls and have turkey or ham inside them?

Have fun, it sound fun!

I would just eat the roll empty- can't stand anything with mayo in it.

So I went up to the grocery store and found out it would be cheaper to buy 3 platters of the finger sandwiches instead of making them myself.
If I bought the 3 sandwich fillings plus rolls it would be $101 (they recommended getting 5lbs of each filling) and if I got 3 platters it would be $87 (that's with a $4 off each platter special that they run) Still way more than I expected to spend. Not sure what I thought it would cost, but I didn't think it was going to be that much. Oh well. Live and learn. :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter