• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

how much do you tip the dog groomer?

katie01

DIS Veteran
I'm wondering what is the expected amount to tip. If it matters, it is for a small dog, the cost of the grooming itself is $50, and we live in the far suburbs of Chicago.

The only time my dog is at the groomer is if I can't find my own nail clippers. :rotfl:

He is VERY calm and is finished in about three minutes tops. It costs $15, and if they do a good job(meaning an ACTUAL trim, not just barely taking off the tips. ** I know how short the can safely be trimmed) I'll give an even $20. If I have to make them redo it I give a dollar or two.

The few times he gets bathed and everything I give them 20% assuming they've earned it.

I feel tips need to be earned. You do a good job, you get a good tip.

My dog groomer is at the vet/animal hospital and I don't even see them.
I drop my dog off and pick her up when they call.
I tip nothing, cause I don't even know who they are.

I always tipped 20% but I've started doing my own grooming now. He's so much more relaxed at home. It's not particularly hard, just time consuming.

We go to PetSmart for our dog to be bathed, I've never tipped and don't know if my husband has, or not.

20%. I have a little Bichon who needs full grooming at least once a month. I only get him clipped every 8 weeks, but I let them bathe and blow him out at least every 4 weeks or he gets too tangled. If he were a smooth-haired dog, like a Chihuahua or a beagle, I would just do it myself, but these curly-haired dogs can look like a mess if you don't know what you're doing!

I always tipped between 20.00-40.00- not percent....dollars! My dog was very "difficult" and to find a groomer that would take him more than once I tipped well to insure it was worth it for them.

We use to go to Pet Smart until they killed a dog a few months ago. We never tip. Never thought about it and never knew this was common. Now we will probably use our Vet's services in the winter time. When it is warm out we just get out the hose and do in the back yard.

We've taken our dog to PetSmart once... we didn't tip (didn't even think about it). Now, we groom at home - our pup has very short hair and is decently well behaved about taking baths. :laughing: He goes to the vet for a nail trim.

We use to go to Pet Smart until they killed a dog a few months ago. We never tip. Never thought about it and never knew this was common. Now we will probably use our Vet's services in the winter time. When it is warm out we just get out the hose and do in the back yard.
Good Lord. I googled to find the story and am saddened to read there have been MANY deaths of pets at these mega pet store grooming salons. :sad1: I imagine the little stores aren't immune, either. Some deaths were from a "chokehold" they use on dogs, at least one other was from "overheating" (pet left in cage with dryer on). I often wonder about these places and how they get dogs to comply. smh.

I believe that one of the groomers I took my dog to overhandled him somehow, as well. I asked her how she got him to stay still and she smirked and said something to the effect of, "We have ways". After that I took him to a new salon and he started shaking the minute we walked in. Didn't leave him that day. I guess as consumers (and dog parents) we have to be careful about where we go and how our pets are being handled. Dogs can't tell us verbally what happens there but they do let us know with their behavior. If groomers act cocky and rough, then it might be best to go elsewhere.

I'm so glad my dog only ever needs a bath. Upwards of 50 bucks? Yikes! I only pay $20 for my dog to get a bath and blow out. He's too big for me to bathe him at home! At almost 120 pounds (and still growing) he is bigger than my tub, shower, or me, lol. I used to take my dog to Petsmart but they were charging me a "Rottweiler Fee". Cost me nearly 80 dollars to get him just a bath simply because of his breed. All that aside, I take him to a nice, family owned groomer, and always tip 20%.

I tip at least 20% when I take my himalayan cats to the groomer. There is a lot of work that goes into grooming their fur, and am thankful that I don't have to do it myself.

Very timely as my doggie is at the groomer right now. I tip 20%. He is not the easiest guy to get to stay still.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter