How much do you spend at Disney??

schmoopypoo

Countin down the days
Hi all :wave: Me and DBF are going to Disney in November for 6 days. I was just curious as to what sort of figures I should be looking at for spending money. The hotel/airfare/park tickets are already paid for. So we would just need money for food and souvies. And we are only eating at 2 sit down places...the rest would just be counter service. I also have a 4 year old daughter who is NOT coming :guilty: so I'm sure I will go crazy buying things for her (I know, I just can't help it).

So just wanted to know what people typically spend at Disney for a week. Thanks guys :)

I really depends.. because everyones spending habits are different... Me and Df are going to WDW for 3 days in September.. The only money we will need is for food, souvenirs and extras.. I plan on bringing $150 for souvenirs (he probably wont bring any as he doesnt buy them).. I plan on bringing breakfast items to eat in the hotel in the morning so we wont need to purchase breakfast while there.. I have Rainforest Cafe giftcards for our lunch there.. we are doing Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner one night and that will be about $60 plus tip.. other than that its all counter service and I plan on $25 each meal for 2 of us.. so we will need 4 meals besides ones listed so I have a total of $160 plus tip that will be set aside for meals.. then we are bringing $30 for extras like a dole whip and ice cream..

You just have to tell yourself how much you will be spending on souvenirs and stuff.. Last year when me and DD8 went we spent waaaaaaaay too much money..

Since we go to Disney every ohter year and my sons are all teenagers we don't really spend a lot on souvenirs. Our largest expense continues to be meals. We are the sit down TS type of family (we pretty much get sick of counter service meals after day 2) so I budget $60 per person per day. The one thing that saves us is that we're DVC'ers so I don't have room cost to figure in.
If you think you may go hog wild with gifts for your daughter (I certainly did when my kids were little) try setting a limit just for presents.

Have a great trip.

For the 3 of us, we average $60/day for food, so $40 if there were only 2 of us.

I think last trip we spent about $500-$600 on gifts and souvenirs, but that included a necklace for DW that was $300, so not counting that about $300.

So for 6 days for 2 people, I'd be expecting about $600.

I usually bring $100 a day for the two of us. We usually eat at counter service places, with a couple sit-down dinners here and there.

We don't really buy many souvenirs, since we go at least once a year. I may buy a t-shirt if I see one I like.

We always come home with money left over.

Have fun! :)

I already have $500 saved up and I keep adding, but I just hear how some people spend $1000+ but that could be for a fmaily of 3 or 4. thanks for your responses. Now I feel a little better knowing that I have that much saved already.

schmoopypoo said:
I already have $500 saved up and I keep adding, but I just hear how some people spend $1000+ but that could be for a fmaily of 3 or 4. thanks for your responses. Now I feel a little better knowing that I have that much saved already.
Some people post here that they spend what I consider outrageous amounts. Some budget $150/day for food for a couple. We spend $60/day for 3. But of course some people spend $300/nite for a hotel and we spend under $300 for a week. There is no reason you have to spend that kind of money. Disney doesn't have to be an expensive vacation, but it certainly can be if you make it one.

When DH and I travel alone, we plan $100 per day for food - 3 meals plus waters and treats, usually ice cream. We also make at least one substantial house gift purchase - some of the things are: a china floor cat, a cut glass floral bouquet - a wooden kissing statue - etc. I like to buy a piece of jewelry and then we usually purchase a few impulse buys, like the Mickey jigsaw puzzle or new beach towels or the USA flag polo that DH just had to have. Our nonfood purchases usually total in the area of $500 for a 10 day trip.

disneysteve said:
Some people post here that they spend what I consider outrageous amounts. Some budget $150/day for food for a couple. We spend $60/day for 3. But of course some people spend $300/nite for a hotel and we spend under $300 for a week. There is no reason you have to spend that kind of money. Disney doesn't have to be an expensive vacation, but it certainly can be if you make it one.
:wave: Outrageous spender, checking in. :) My food budget for my upcoming SOLO trip is ~$100/day.

MHopkins2 said:
:wave: Outrageous spender, checking in. :) My food budget for my upcoming SOLO trip is ~$100/day.
I didn't mean "outrageous" in a bad way. No offense intended :sunny: .

We are a family of 4 and average about $150.00 !!

disneysteve said:
I didn't mean "outrageous" in a bad way. No offense intended :sunny: .
Now, Steve, I've known you for a long time - don't try to :sunny: your way out. ;) I fully understand that my budget is in-a-bad-way-outrageous, and am okay with that! It helps that (until I win the lottery) I really don't care about my hotel room, and therefore have no problems staying at Pop Century vs. a mod or deluxe. That decision more than pays for my outrageous eating habits.

Anyway, to the OP... In addition to my food & beverage issues, I am also a serious shopper. There are a couple good ways to keep your spending under control for gifts for your DD:
1) Set a per day or per park amount. This works better for me than one big number, since I would inevitably spend it all on the first day. :teeth:
2) Allow yourself one big whack at World of Disney, preferably on the last day of your trip. They sell SO MUCH STUFF, if you've never been, you can't imagine the size and scope. It's shoppers' heaven, especially if you're shopping for a 4 year old girl.

I am saying for us 7 we are doing 50 per day. we also have dd for suvies which we do not need much. I would suggest you do ch outlet for your dd. a good suvie for your dd 8$ for a pink hat with mouse ears that have her name on it

disneysteve said:
Some people post here that they spend what I consider outrageous amounts. Some budget $150/day for food for a couple. We spend $60/day for 3... There is no reason you have to spend that kind of money. Disney doesn't have to be an expensive vacation, but it certainly can be if you make it one.

I consider $150 a day for a couple much more than I would spend too.
My 2005 Birnbaum's book suggests $50 a day per adult for food. For us that is a high estimate. We did not spend that much a day.

I find for our family of 3 disney to be one of the cheapest places that we can vacation! We stay at either the all stars or a moderate resort and my son is 3 1/2 so most trips were without buying him tickets.

We eat one table service per day and I would plan on spending about $100 a day on food. I think that is more then plenty. But we eat well when we eat, although I drink water. I don't eat alot snacks around the park as everything is so expensive. We also eat our table service at lunch and honestly some nights have more of a snack back at the hotel. We eat breakfast in the room, cereal, pop tarts, etc. Not much of breakfast people.

As for souveniers we hardly spend a dime. I sometimes will buy my son something small (less then $15) but he doesn't ask so I don't tend to buy. I do buy him stuff all the time and put it away for trips (from the disney store) thinking I'll give it to him. Sometimes I remember, but he still isn't big into the I want stage so I Don't push it. At most I would say all trip $50 on souveniers and that is probably more then we spend. Most of it is so overpriced so it has to be something I really want, we can get similar stuff so much cheaper at the disney store, catalog, etc. I am a big sale shopper so disney doesn't fit in well.

We spent more then we planned :blush: Well, to be honest, we just snacked alot more then we planned (dang dole whips ;) )...all that walking sure works up the appetite.

Our last trip was for only 2 days in the park and 3 nights at Pop before a cruise- just me and DH.

Dinner:
Boma plus 2 drinks at the bar
Le Cellier
Baked Potato cart in MK

Lunch:
Restaurantasaurus
Plaza Restaurant

Breakfast:
McDonalds every morning

Snacking:
everything possible
Ghirardelli sundae

Souvenirs:
small stuffed eeyore
pin for my sister
candy for friend

Total $350.

But previously we've tended to eat much cheaper. With only two days we wanted to splurge.

Just there in June for 7 nights/8 days, DH, DD15 and me. We stayed at Pop and I planned about $100 a day for food, drinks and snacks, and $150 each for spending money for the week, or $1000 total. I averaged about $75 a day for food, eating one table service meal or buffet everyday but the first and last and one other buffet that we canceled. DD and I shared meals at 50's Primetime Cafe, Rainforest Cafe and Teppanyaki. DH purchased a refillable mug at Pop and used it at least twice per day to get his money's worth. I packed a bunch of snacks and Capri Sun in a suitcase and always had something in my backpack to munch on while waiting in line or between meals as needed.

All food, drinks, snacks - less than $600 which surprised me
All Souvenirs - about $250 for a tshirt, watch, Mickey ears, small photo album, trading pins, fashion jewelry, etc. DH was happy to come home with nothing more than his mug and photos

Youre talking just spening money for souviners/food right? We are a family of 4 with 2 kids. They are both small kids and eat like squirrels but spend like drunken sailors. We usually figure about $200 per day out of pocket.

MHopkins2 said:
I'm the same way. I like good food too.

I may go broke doing it but thats ok :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter