how much do you leave maid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovin'Mickey

Like Mary Poppins I too am practically perfect in
How much should I leave the maid? I am going to make enevolopes up and have no idea $1,$2,$3 per day???

so we are a family of 5 so you would leave $5 per day? thanks!!

We leave $4 to $5 each day. I would leave less or none if they did a horrible job, but luckily that's never happened.

There are just the two of us but we leave $5 a day and maybe more if we return to a room filled with towel animals which actually happend during our last stay at the YC - animals everywhere - my 'cool' ds was so overwhelmed!!!

This may sound strange....I make my own bed...wipe down the sink area...hang towels for more than one use.

Am I still expected to tip mousekeeping? They really don't have to do anything in my room and I NEVER get any animals!

We normally leave $1 per person per day. We are rather neat and don't have a big mess to clean up.

Meezers said:
This may sound strange....I make my own bed...wipe down the sink area...hang towels for more than one use.

Am I still expected to tip mousekeeping? They really don't have to do anything in my room and I NEVER get any animals!

We do the same... it sounds like you should just hang the do not disturb sign on your door like we do. Tip only when you want new towels/trash emptied or the floor vacumed.

Editing to add that even if we don't use mousekeeping during our stay I leave $5-10 when we leave for the mousekeeper who has to re-do the room for the next family.

I think alot of people who have worked in a service type industry do these things. But I still expect my bathroom to be cleaned properly, etc....

Ok, I know in advance I am going to get blown out of the water, but here it goes:

Is daily maid service included or not? The reason I ask is that I expect my room to be cleaned daily, my towels to be replaced, etc. Am I supposed to tip someone to be sure that I get fresh towels????

Now, someone provides service above and beyond , I will tip and tip generously, but for fresh towels, a clean room, I just can't do it.

I am as empathetic as the next person when it comes to those who are working hard for a living - But I would rather Disney charge $5 more per night for the room and pay the mousekeepers better than to tip for what is supposed to be provided as part of my stay.

Ok, lay it on....... :smooth:

band_man said:
Ok, I know in advance I am going to get blown out of the water, but here it goes:

Is daily maid service included or not? The reason I ask is that I expect my room to be cleaned daily, my towels to be replaced, etc. Am I supposed to tip someone to be sure that I get fresh towels????

Now, someone provides service above and beyond , I will tip and tip generously, but for fresh towels, a clean room, I just can't do it.

I am as empathetic as the next person when it comes to those who are working hard for a living - But I would rather Disney charge $5 more per night for the room and pay the mousekeepers better than to tip for what is supposed to be provided as part of my stay.

Ok, lay it on....... :smooth:

I'm not going to blow you out of the water just because your opinion about tipping for maid service differs from mine. However, I do disagree with you.

The fact is, Disney doesn't and is never going to charge $5 more per night to be directed as tips for mousekeeping. They may charge $5 more per night, but you can bet it's going to go into the Disney coffers and not to the maids. Some forms of tipping, such as maid service, have become part of our culture. Of course, you are expected to have a clean room with fresh towels, just as you are expected to have your dinner served to you by your waiter, your luggage brought into the hotel or up to your room, your hair cut by your barber, etc., and all of these people expect a tip. I think mousekeeping does an excellent job, and as long as I can afford to travel to Walt Disney World, I feel that the least I can do is leave a few bucks each day to the person who makes my room neat and clean.

Yeah, I was wondering about this.

My concern is, how do we leave the money?
Do we just leave it out on the bedside table, or what?
:scratchin

I'm British, so I'm not really used to all this 'expected tipping' stuff :confused3

Pooh1219 said:
I'm not going to blow you out of the water just because your opinion about tipping for maid service differs from mine. However, I do disagree with you.

And let me add that I would never want to keep anyone from what they feel is the right thing to do. I just approach this differently. If mousekeepers did not recieve enough pay from Disney my guess is they would work somewhere else. My feeling is that by tipping for basic services I am helping to keep this backward system going.

But again, I totally appreciate the feelings of people who feel that a tip is warranted. :flower:

Pooh1219 said:

And let me add that I would never want to keep anyone from what they feel is the right thing to do. I just approach this differently. If mousekeepers did not receive enough pay from Disney my guess is they would work somewhere else. My feeling is that by tipping for basic services I am helping to keep this backward system going.

But again, I totally appreciate the feelings of people who feel that a tip is warranted. :flower:

band_man said:
And let me add that I would never want to keep anyone from what they feel is the right thing to do. I just approach this differently. If mousekeepers did not recieve enough pay from Disney my guess is they would work somewhere else. My feeling is that by tipping for basic services I am helping to keep this backward system going.

we never tip (for regular cleaning -- we would tip if there was a big mess or something) either. quite frankly, i'd never heard of tipping maids at hotels for ordinary service before coming here to the dis.

i'm sure i will be flamed now, but i just wanted to let you know, you are not alone.

we still always have a clean room and we have even gotten towel animals.

Our first all adult trip to WDW....my brother and I (separate rooms) made special envelopes with stickers....got the special Susan B Anthony gold dollars or crisp dollar bills. We went out of our way.

No clean towels.....no towel animals...no clean bathroom. On the 4th day I dusted.

Needless to say I have been leery of tipping Mousekeeping. It seems like because our rooms are neater than others (and I have seen open doors to some other rooms...scary)....we get kinda skipped. So sometimes I tip...sometimes I leave a chocolate treat or cookies...sometimes I don't do anything.

Am I a bad person?

If I want to tip for above and beyond service, how do I do that? I'm not going to know if it was above and beyond until after the room is clean and it's not necessarily the same mousekeeper each day.

When we stayed at ASSP three years ago, I didn't tip mousekeeping (didn't know about it and really never thought about it until the dis boards) and we got towel animals several times. I just thought it was part of their service. I've had things like that at all inclusive resorts and assumed it was the "new fancy thing to do". Sorry for my ignorance, but when you live within five hours of the beach and the smokey mountains, most vacations are spent at condos and no need for daily maid service.

Many of the mousekeepers have not had the benefits of a great education. Many are here working hard in a profession that was not their first choice. Many do not have other options. And all I have encountered go above and beyond their job description. I have posted this before and will continue to do so - do you have to tip, no - but are a couple of extra $$ going to break you when you look at the cost of your trip? As somene who has worked in the service world, has worked for tips I can tell you that a $5 surprise can make or break your day. O.K., let the flames begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter