How much do you insure your cruise for?

I haven't found a Canadian comparison site. The one I mentioned was Blue Cross, but the others all seem to have a cap, too. I think I'm going to have to talk to a broker and see what the deal is. Even my Visa insurance on my travel rewards card only covers to $5000.

Check with Allianz.

My Visa "included" insurance covers only 1000$/pp. I was told I could buy an extra coverage but they sid not tell me how much more. My guess would be 5000$ as well.

Typically they ask for the first port of call.
I chatted with an Insure My Trip person. I got "cruise insurance" and they had me put continental US since the ship starts and ends there. And, as I said before, the insurance was by address, not by stateroom, but there are per person amounts listed.

Also @FigmentSpark make sure it covers trip interruption, not just cancellation. The need for trip interruption coverage is much more common and sometimes even when your cruise is cancelled, you incur secondary charges not from the cruise line that would need to be covered (hotel, air). So be sure coverage is specific to a cruise vacation and includes trip interruption.

I'm in Canada too and, while I haven't used that particular insurance, when we buy, we put in the non-cancellable costs, pick the type of coverage (medical, trip interruption, etc.) and that determines the cost. Mine then lists the coverage per person, not total. We're flying to LA in November on points, and paying for flights from LA to Hawaii. Only the paid flights can be covered but we have trip interruption insurance that would pay for various things including emergency flights in the event of having to cancel and that coverage is on a per-person basis. I also have some out-of-country coverage through work and it provides a cap of $1500 per person for certain emergency things like flights. So I rather suspect your $4K coverage is per person not per family but will only cover additional expenses and expenses that cannot be refunded or cancelled without cost (prior to trip).

Well, I can use that site, but there are only 2 options if you've chosen "Canadian".

But wait.... it's for a cruise, what do you all put as your destination? Do I put Caribbean or do I put U.S.? Really, for me, it's both. We'll be travelling to the U.S. and then on the ship around the Caribbean.

If you can, just call. It's so much easier to work out with a person on the phone.

Last year, we went through CAA (AAA), but they were also our TA, so it feels uncomfortable phoning them for insurance without using their TA services. Also, I don't really know if that policy was adequate or just the one they sold us.

Last year, we went through CAA (AAA), but they were also our TA, so it feels uncomfortable phoning them for insurance without using their TA services. Also, I don't really know if that policy was adequate or just the one they sold us.

THAT sounds like a Canada thing to me. LOL. (worrying about hurting the feelings of a business).

No, I understand your sensitivity. Is it a small local office, or a big national setup? Especially if you are talking about a small local branch, I understand why you'd be hesitant to call them. Is there a National Number that you could contact instead. Funny, LESS personal service isn't usually preferable, but in this case, some faceless person in a call center might be just what you need.

One last thing, I appeal to your head, not your heart (but feel free to ignore me.)
What you said was, "I chose not to use them as a travel agent, so now I don't want to hurt their feelings by using them for trip insurance only."
But if it was your business, wouldn't you at least want the insurance business, even if you can't get the travel portion?

Perhaps that will make you feel better about calling them. Or call Blue Cross. What you really need to know is if that $4000 is per person or total, right? Then you can proceed.

Best of luck!

The AAA travel services are available for whatever services you want. Helping you get travel insurance is a service, you don't have to utilize any of the other travel services, if you don't want to.

THAT sounds like a Canada thing to me. LOL. (worrying about hurting the feelings of a business).

No, I understand your sensitivity. Is it a small local office, or a big national setup? Especially if you are talking about a small local branch, I understand why you'd be hesitant to call them. Is there a National Number that you could contact instead. Funny, LESS personal service isn't usually preferable, but in this case, some faceless person in a call center might be just what you need.

One last thing, I appeal to your head, not your heart (but feel free to ignore me.)
What you said was, "I chose not to use them as a travel agent, so now I don't want to hurt their feelings by using them for trip insurance only."
But if it was your business, wouldn't you at least want the insurance business, even if you can't get the travel portion?

Perhaps that will make you feel better about calling them. Or call Blue Cross. What you really need to know is if that $4000 is per person or total, right? Then you can proceed.

Best of luck!
You've pulled out some truths, there, Anchors' Away. Very astute. Those are emotional decisions and I hadn't realized it.

It is a local office with 3 travel agents and 2 desk agents (for other services), so yeah, she'd see me come in. I think calling is my best option, in this case. You're right, some business, is better than no business. I'm probably being too sensitive, to my own detriment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter