How much did you pay for airfare?

first time in forever

Earning My Ears
Would you care to share?

Also, what time of the year did you travel to DW?

I'm looking at tickets for end of August and I have no idea what a good price is. I'll be flying from Ottawa.

Thanks!

We always fly from Syracuse with Jetblue and we pay $300 + or - and that's usually in late January or February.

Would you care to share?

Also, what time of the year did you travel to DW?

I'm looking at tickets for end of August and I have no idea what a good price is. I'll be flying from Ottawa.

Thanks!

This will likely be of very little use but we flew YYJ (Victoria, BC) to MCO Dec 9-22/15. Total cost for 3 people including one night at an airport hotel was $2,669.61

Typically out of Ottawa we pay $400pp. This has been at both August and November on various carriers, sometimes with stops, other times without. If you can get anything under $400 out of Ottawa you are doing well!!

I know being from Ottawa this won't help you but we have flown from Detroit (2 hr drive for us) for $350-400 usd for 3 people round trip.
Our friends flew for even from buffalo.
Maybe check flying from US, not sure if there is a closer airport close to where you live?

The only time I've ever paid more than 350 Canadian,1 stop from Ottawa is when it was direct,and then it was 440 if I remember correctly.The day My dates are set,I start checking every day and night for prices,and usually I book around the 3-4 month from departure.

i'm preparing for my first trip to DW (probably in the fall of this year - excited!), i would also be flying from Ottawa so i've been looking up flights since December to see how much i'm gonna (potentially) be paying. back in December i saw it as high as $600 (so the high season), but (thankfully) more recently i've seen it as low as $290, roundtrip! more often than not, however, average price seems to range anywhere from $320 to $500 or so. it all boils down to when you're going and if you want a direct flight or don't mind a layover or 2.

Prices from Ottawa are all over the map. I've seen them as low as $350 and as high as $600 return. Recently flying from Ottawa through Montreal seems to be a good deal.

The flights out of Ottawa for our dates in September are currently as low as $276/person. They are not non-stop though, they have one layover.

In the past, if I could get flights from YOW to MCO in September for around $350/person (again with one stop) I was satisfied.

I can't help but wonder if the discount flights from Plattsburgh (Spirit) and Ogdensburg (Allegiant) are the reason for the cheaper flights from Ottawa this year.

Another question: how soon do you book your flight? I'm currently 5 months away from my trip and prices are around 600 - with layovers. The hopper app says I should wait, but i'm freaking out when I check prices in the morning and i see them go up 100$ from one day to another.
This is nerve wracking.

I've been to Orlando 5 times.

1st: Delta - 295 out of Buffalo; this one was fun. Got into JFK at 7pm, last flight was at 830pm. Oversold, gave up my seat for 800USD and rebooked on the last flight the next night so I could spend the morning/afternoon in Manhattan.
2nd: WestJet - 340 out of Toronto
3rd: Jetblue/Southwest: 310 out of Buffalo
4th: WestJet - 280 out of Toronto
5th: Southwest - 200 out of Buffalo

Coming from Switzerland
We paid usd 5'600 for 2 adults and 1 child for this summer

Another question: how soon do you book your flight? I'm currently 5 months away from my trip and prices are around 600 - with layovers. The hopper app says I should wait, but i'm freaking out when I check prices in the morning and i see them go up 100$ from one day to another.
This is nerve wracking.

It is nerve wracking indeed. Airfares also depend on which day of the week is the flight day. I will fly out of Toronto on a Saturday and return on a Sunday before Labour Day. Initially I am flying out on a Sunday as well but the airfare is high. So I decided to fly out late on a Saturday. Staying one more night at Royal Pacific Resort qualifies my hotel booking with more discount. So I actually save more money by flying in a day earlier with a late arrival and an extra night at RPR. My travel dates are fixed. If your dates are flexible, there may be seat sales from Air Canada on certain weekdays like Wednesdays and Thursdays.

I actually booked my flight separately this time, departure with Westjet and return with Air Canada. Westjet has only one flight returning to Toronto in the afternoon on the Sunday and it's expensive. I prefer the evening return flight from Air Canada so I can stay longer at the park on departure day. I had been checking since September and it had been at the same price. One day it shot up by $60 per person and back down the next day. I could not endure it anymore and thinking it's the last flight on the Sunday before Labour Day, many Torontonians will be flying back for school and late flights can be in high demand. So I bit the bullet and booked it. Since my bookings, Westjet has gone up by $121 pp and Air Canada has gone up by $70 pp. My dates are fixed and my flights are on the weekend, as a result I paid $575 pp return trip. However, comparing to what I paid in 2014 (late August to Labour Day weekend), it's about $150 pp cheaper. I booked during March Break at that time. This time I booked in January for Westjet and February for Air Canada. I only fly direct flights.

Have fun planning!

As others have mentioned, flights from Ottawa to Orlando can vary a lot. In recent years (actually about 5 years ago), I think the cheapest I've flown from Ottawa was $550/person non-stop return (we always try to fly non-stop). I've seen $800-$1000+/person around XMas time.

Right now, according to flights.google.com, for flying from Saturday Aug 19 to Sat Aug 26:

The cheapest you can get YOW->MCO is $435 but it's with 2 layovers and 12 hours of travelling. A more reasonable option would be $502 with 1 stop (Montreal) and a 5 hour total travelling. Cheapest direct (both ways) flight is $685 and 3 hours of travelling.
If you fly from Syrucuse (SYR->MCO) (on a major airline), you can do $338 with 1 stop and 5 hours of total travelling. $499 direct and 2:40 hours of travelling.
If you fly from Ogdensburg and land in Sanford not Orlando (OGS->SFB), it would be about $300CND (direct) on AllegiantAir BUT they do not appear to fly mid-August to end-September (last flight would be Aug 5-12).
If you fly from Plattsburgh and land in Sanford (PBG->SFB) on Allegiant Air, it would be about $350CND (direct) but that's for Fri Aug 18 to Fri Aug 25 (no Saturday flights).
If you fly from Syracuse and land in St-Pete (SYR->PIE) on Allegiant Air, it would be about $400CND (direct) but that's for Sun Aug 20 to Sun Aug 27 (no Saturday flights).
If you fly from Montreal (YUL->MCO), it would be about $506CND (direct).
If you fly from Toronto (YUL->MCO), it would be about $506CND (direct).

The above prices do not include luggage fees but I think they are all fairly similar expect that AllegiantAir does charge for carry-on as well as checked luggage. And AllegiantAir does charge from pretty much anything they can (seat selection, no free food (although I don't know if any airlines give that on economy flights either), priority boarding, etc but we never get any of those anyway). The other small consideration is parking costs. I believe it's cheaper at pretty much all US airports but once you factor in the exchange, it might be close. Personally, I'd rather cross the border by car instead of going trough customs at the airport so that's another benefit for us of not flying from YOW, YUL or YYZ. I also prefer driving to a US airport than driving to YUL or YYZ. The last few times we flew from Plattsburg, I think we got a hotel and 2 weeks of parking and shuttle to the airport for about $200CND.

Since 2010, we pretty much only fly with Allegiant simply because it's the cheapest for us especially since we really want direct flights. As a family, since then, we've flown 18 times with them and my wife has flown 2 other times with her mom. During that time, we've had a few delays (the longest was about 4 hours) but no cancellations and most of the flights were on time or within 15-30 minutes (which I think is pretty typical) (If you look at flights.google.com for YUL->MCO, it has a warning that 44% of the time, the flight is delayed by 30+ minutes). That said, flying if you fly with AllegiantAir, there is no flexibility in the dates and if the flight is cancelled or if you miss your flight, you're kind of screwed.

If you are interested in flying from Ogdensburg at the end of August, I would strongly recommend that you write to them suggesting they add flights (which they do when there's enough demand). Travel to Flolrida typically reduces quite a bit mid-August because most kids are back in school in the US and I suspect they based their OGS schedule on that. I've seen other people asking the same thing so it doesn't look like you are alone.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Last edited:
Can either of you remember if these were seat sales, or through a specific app? I have never flown for under $350 and would love to know the secret!

From my observation, that's very cheap. Just the fees for flying from Canada are about $150. (unless your price was before taxes).

We live in a Montreal suburb and we've flown from home (YUL), from Plattsburgh and from Manchester (NH) but we usually drive. Flying is a once-in-a-while treat :rotfl:
We did it from Plattsburgh (Allegiant airlines, direct flights) for around 1200$ US for the 6 of us. This is a 1.5 hour drive from home for us. Yes, you do need to add baggage and seat selection fees but it's worth a look because it can be a great deal. The one time we flew from home, it was 2000$ CAN for 6 people (always 6 people, we don't leave anyone back :hyper:) with Delta with layovers both ways. If you are willing to drive a little more, the best deal we got was direct flights with Southwest from Manchester (NH), which was 1380$ US all included (well, we chose to not pay for Early bird so this would have been extra). This airport is 4 hours from home but it was worth it considering we usually drive 2 days to get there... :rotfl2:
I've been looking at prices lately to see if were going to drive or fly this summer and I've seen great deals on Southwest from Albany (NY), which is around 3.5 hours drive for us, as well as with Spirit airlines from Plattsburgh. I know there are a lot of add-ons with Spirit (carry-on, luggage, seat selection) but it might be worth it as well.
Good luck!

Right now, according to flights.google.com, for flying from Saturday Aug 19 to Sat Aug 26:

Mike

2nd using Google flights. We price watch multiple flights, carriers, times, layover combo's we like (think I had 14 watched one time once) and as the price goes up/down significantly you can get an email notification of. We flew the week prior to last (we were going to drive) and saw some $295 watched routes pop-up so last minute decided to fly (though from YYZ). We've flown twice that last week of Summer and have driven twice. From memory prices are driven by the Labour Day weekend flight and when availability gets scarce, prices really jump up.

Can either of you remember if these were seat sales, or through a specific app? I have never flown for under $350 and would love to know the secret!

I just use Google Flights and then click the link to book directly with the airline. Right now, a return flight from YOW to MCO with Delta is $276/person for my dates (Sept 7-21).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter