How many DVCers drive to Disney?

We have gone in a variety of ways. Drive from central PA is not bad, we have done the autotrain, and flown. We are considering driving this July and taking longer to stop at places along the way that we have wanted to in the past.

This will be our 5 th consecutive year of driving. It's about 17 hrs. from St. Louis. We leave before dinner, get an 1 or 2 under our belts, and then stop for a relaxing dinner. After we eat, we hit the road and let the kids watch videos for a couple of hours, until they fall asleep. By the time they wake up the next morning, we're in FLA, and the excitement begins to build.

As noted above, my reasons are:
1) Control (come and go whenever I want, no delays,etc.)
2) Savings-My time investment saves the family several hundred dollars.

my own personal reason:
3) I prefer to keep the kids off the airplanes until they are a little older. It just doesn't seem like the healthiest environment. It's just my opinion, and I'm not a zealout about (I would let them fly if needed).

Just my two cents.

We drive when we go anywhere and have just been down to Disney last Thanksgiving. We are in the Chicago area and the trip takes about 24 hours, with stops and everything, since we have two small girls under 5. We leave about 1:30-2 am and then arrive around midnight. Driving stright through is the best way, but some people cannot stay awake very well. I function well on little sleep, so the wife and kids nap from about 2-7am and by then we're past Inidnapolis and well on our way. The only problem with this plan, is we hit Atlanta between 5-8 pm depending on how often we've stopped before, and if we are traveling during the week, you can imagine how much fun that is. We do it to save the money, since a family of four out of Chicago and then a rental car can cost a bundle.

the philadelphia area...it takes us about 15 hours to drive...we drive straight thru

That is some good time. Best we have done is 17 hours.

Once we flew down and drove back. (Sept 12)

FIL is building a house in N.C. so we may be doing more driving and visiting PopPop in route.

We used to make the drive every year from the Chicago area, about 21 hours on the road (used to really drag when the speed limit was 55 all the way). The first few times were OK but when you know every gas station and fast food place on the trip it really gets to be a drag. We finally decided to just spend the $'s and fly, besides eliminating the drive we felt that not spending our vacation time loaded into the family truckster for four days was well worth the money.

We live in SE Mass. and drive down quite often. We enjoy the ride and we have our favorite stops along the way. The ride is about 24 hours, a little less now with the rise in speed limits (70 in the south). We just get on 95 in Providence and follow it down. When the kids were little we'd leave around 8 at night, the kids would be asleep by 8:30 and would sleep until breakfast in NC. Now DS is 19 and helps with the driving. We take 3 weeks for our trip so the drive time isn't a big deal.

ZerasPride-

Living in NC our drive time is about 10 hours, sometimes less on good traffic days. That was key in our decision to fly this past Christmas. If you do drive, you've got to come and go on the right days. Sunday after Thanksgiving is definitely the wrong day! Traffic on 1-95 can come to a dead stop, and that would be your route on and off of HH.

Flying has its plusses, especially if you are more than a days drive away. It just takes less time, which gives more time for actual vacationing. Now that security is so time-consuming, any less than a day away makes flying time and driving time almost a wash. I understand the anticipation of crossing the Florida line, it's a biggie for us, too! But arrival at OIA is just as exciting. I know that when we step off that plan, vacation has really begun.

On the other hand, driving gives you some flexibility you won't have unless you rent a car. We have all kinds of family and friends in Central Florida, and several days are non-Disney. Renting a car for a week or more during any holiday season is expensive. We'd rather spend the money on fun!

For us, anything longer than a long weekend will spent in the car. Whatever you decide - have a blast!

Brian

Again, I appreciate all the comments guys! I just wish I/we could make up my/our mind(s)! I can't believe the sky-high prices of plane tickets, especially considering we have waited so long to possibly purchase tickets for the busy Thanksgiving week. Driving is looking more and more appealing but carriers like Southwest haven't released their prices for this time period yet so I guess there is still hope of paying less than $275 per ticket. I wish we were like Mickey7861's family and could spend several weeks on vacation, then driving would be a no-brainer. Oh well, decisions, decisions . . . :)

Lisa

I actually think that I'd enjoy the drive from Boston.................,but our 4 year old wouldn't be crazy about it;) . Since we have such limited vacation time, I think that we'll always choose a 3 hr. flight.

ZerasPride,

I think the key to your question is how much time you have on vacation. If you only have 1 week, it makes more sense to fly. We are from Ohio also, and it doesn't make to much sense to spend 2-3 full days sitting in a car, out of your 7 day vacation. When we retire, and spend 2-4 weeks down south (DVC). Then we may decide to drive. Then we would break up the trip and stop at HH for a day or 2. Then proceed to OKW.But our personal preference right now is to fly and take a 2 hr flight. And you are more rested then when you just have driven 15-17 hrs.:bounce:

I have to put in my 2 cents. My DW and I drive every time. We live 29 miles from the Ohio line on i-75 in Michigan. It takes us 17.5 hours averaging 73mph the whole way. That is straight though. Gas and fast food. Good luck with your decision.

We have always flown down from Maryland. However, this December we are planning on driving down. The plan is to start on Saturday evening at 7:00 pm and drive through the night to avoid traffic and rest/Sleep on Sunday and Start the day anew on Monday at WDW.

Of course if we find incredible deals on either flights or Autotrain at the last minute, we'll do that.

Bart

We drive every summer from Kansas City. We leave at 4:00am and arrive in Ocala around 9:00pm (~16 hours). We spend the night in Ocala and drive the final ~1.5 hours on Sunday morning. The drive is not bad at all. The kids play plenty of car games, watch videos and sleep to pass the time.

It was a definite improvement when we bought a van though. The van makes "fights" for seat room almost nonexistent because each child has their own "row" to lounge around in. Plus, with a 25 gallon gas tank, we don't have to stop as often for gas!!

I prefer driving over flying because it allows us to spend time enjoying things as a familyand it is definitely a savings versus flying a family of four.

For those of you who stop in the south Va., NC area to stay overnight where do you stay? We are looking for a CHEAP, but clean, SAFE, and convenient(right off I-95) place to stay. We don't care too much about amenities such as pools or sit down restaurants as we will just want to get a good night sleep and a quick bite to eat. And DH mentioned since this will be on a Sat. night, we would prefer to stay away from a place that has a bar, or nightclub. Any ideas? Tx!

We are now retired and drive from South Jersey to Tampa to spend the winter months with realtives. It takes about 17 1/2 hours to make the trip, and once we pass the DC area it's a breeze. We take two days to make the trip, and it's nice to have your own vechicle! The worst part of the trip is the ride home, it's seems like such a drag! We usually go to OKW a couple of times during our stay, in fact we just made reservations for Feburary and March and had no problem.

msdis,
i can only mention upper VA that has a cheap, clean, safe place to stay. We took the autotrain one trip which leaves out of Lorton, VA which is just south of DC. We stayed at a Comfort Inn in Lorton right off 95 and it was comfortable and inexpensive and clean. You even got a continental breakfast in the morning. I also stayed at a holiday inn express i believe it was on a return trip once in Mechanicsburg, VA. Also inexpensive but clean. No fancy stuff at these hotels.

In August 2001 our family drove for the first time from Lancaster Pa to WDW. The trip down was a long 18 hours mostly because I misjudged the traffic around Washington DC. Our daughters had fun counting the number of "Pedro" signs before arriving at "South of the Border". And yes we did stop to check the place out. It was the shortest rest stop on record I am quite sure of that.

Having a car and valet parking worked well and we decided after staying at AKL for 8 nights that DVC was the right thing for our family. With that said we are now happy owners at VWL and will be heading home for the first time for Easter 2002.

The drive home was a breeze, less than 17 hours with my wife driving well over 1/2 of the time. Knowing where we are going and where to stop and grab a nice meal and a good stretch make it much easier. We are looking forward to 7 nights at OKW and again on the 7 day western cruise in August.

The Girvins
Lancaster PA

We always drive unless our trip is for just a few days. It is an 18 hour trip from central IL. We will be detouring to Hilton Head on our way home this June. Can' wait.:)

The only time we have flown was this past summer when it was only 4 of lus. Every other time there has been 6 or more so it is way to expensive to fly. This summer there will be 10 of us going so of course we will be driving. We have a conversion van and my inlaws are letting us borrow theirs for the trip. Since we have a 3 year old and my niece will have an infant we are breaking the trip up into three days each way. Not planning to drive more than 7 1/2 hours per day, afraid it would be to much for the little ones.

We plan to stay in Memphis and Atlanta on the way down and staying offsite in Orlando the first night we are there. On the way home we will return through the Florida panhandle and stay 2 nights in Destin, then Memphis again before we hit home. If anyone has any suggestions on where to stay in Memphis, Atlanta, or Destin I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks

Lori

When coming through Memphis from OK, you will take I-40 East toward Nashville, I assume (if you are going to Atlanta). There is a Fairfield Inn on Macon Cove Road which is nice, but budget in price. This puts you on the East side of Memphis when you get ready to leave the next morning, and that's the side you would need to be on. There are a lot of other hotels in that area also, many near the Wolfchase Galleria mall. This is a nice safe area. I just like Fairfield Inns when I need a good place to stay with a good (free) breakfast. There is another one at I-240 and Perkins road, but then you would have to drive through a lot of morning traffic to get to the eastbound part where you will be heading. Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter