• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How many days for a December trip?

So I think husband and I have decided on a trip next November/December to finally experience all the Christmas hoopla, and I’m trying to figure out if 5 nights is “enough.”

We aren’t local and usually do longer length trips (typically anywhere from 9 to 12 days - 12 feels like the sweet spot to me where I’m actually “ready” to come home at the end). Our last stay was 12 days this past spring and we have a 9 day trip booked for Spring 2023 (oldest is actually in school now so absences are a consideration, but I am okay with pulling her out one week during a given school year at this point).

Anyway, given that a Christmas-season trip would be a second trip for 2023, and that it will probably be too cold to swim, I feel like 5 nights is *probably* enough for us to take in the Christmas vibe/food, hit MVMCP, etc.

Can anyone share experiences or thoughts?

Five would be a minimum for us. We usually stay at least 7 nights during the holiday season. There is plenty to see and do outside the parks that time of year. You will get less done in the parks (depending on the week) as this can be the most crowded time of the year.

It will most likely be plenty warm to swim... We have used the pools even in January at times.

Nov there is the end of Epcot’s food and wine festival (Nov 19 this year), run Disney events and Jersey week (usually first week of Nov). Mid week shouldn’t be too hectic and that’s when Christmas parties/festivities start (Nov 8 this year). If you’re booking before Thanksgiving I would say 5 days would be good. If it’s Thanksgiving week or Christmas-New Year week then 7 days would be better.

We usually book 6 nights and hit Epcot on checkin and checkout day (staying at a Skyliner resort); but we have young kids so one day at MK isn’t enough for us.

I would go either during Thanksgiving week or the few weeks after because the storytellers and CP at Epcot usually begin on Black Friday. Also not sure if you are interested in doing other area attractions but Sea World has wonderful holiday shows at night on certain days which in the past usually were on the weekends. This past trip last November we stayed on Universal property for a few nights before Disney and loved it. If you are just doing to do Disney would do 7-8 days to experience all the holiday things in the parks plus rides and including time to resort hop to see decorations at resorts and Disney Springs but if adding SW and Universal would say 11 days.

So I think husband and I have decided on a trip next November/December to finally experience all the Christmas hoopla, and I’m trying to figure out if 5 nights is “enough.”

We aren’t local and usually do longer length trips (typically anywhere from 9 to 12 days - 12 feels like the sweet spot to me where I’m actually “ready” to come home at the end). Our last stay was 12 days this past spring and we have a 9 day trip booked for Spring 2023 (oldest is actually in school now so absences are a consideration, but I am okay with pulling her out one week during a given school year at this point).

Anyway, given that a Christmas-season trip would be a second trip for 2023, and that it will probably be too cold to swim, I feel like 5 nights is *probably* enough for us to take in the Christmas vibe/food, hit MVMCP, etc.

Can anyone share experiences or thoughts?
As far as your length of trip, we've done one day all the way to 6 days and nothing longer. We aren't locals but we do drive in. We've never devoted more than one week given we visit other family around FL, as well as, do other things around FL/the south. I truly love WDW and enjoy almost every aspect of our trips since we go several times/year, but for us, 4-5 park days with a resort day is our max. It's just not for us. We manage to do all we want to even on trips with only 2 or 3 park days so I def think you can see all you want to with 5 nights but you will need to adjust expectations given you normally have longer stays and more time. You'll need to prioritize what you want to see, which parks/attractions you want to visit, 2nd visit, etc. You may want to look at hopping if you want to give yourself some flexibility too, that always enables us to get more done on shorter trips.

As far as timing, we like to go in mid-Nov. After the craziness of Jersey week but well before Thanksgiving break. Usually the 14-19, somewhere in there. It's still crowded but not as bad as you get closer to the holidays. The other option is a about a week after thanksgiving when crowds also lighten up. Anytime after 11/1 is great as decor is going up and you can see lights, trees, attend a party and experience treats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter