How long is too long at WDW?

Tigger in a kilt

DIS Veteran
I’m not sure if this is the right forum, so apologies if it’s not.

We are going to WDW for the first time in October, coming from the UK. We are spending 4 weeks there, with 4 groups of family/friends. We have zero time when we will be there on our own.

The first Christmas party starts a few days after we leave. We can’t arrive later because we are tied to school holidays. I am vaguely kicking around the idea of staying for the Christmas party, a total of 5 weeks. This was originally supposed to be our “one and done” trip for a big birthday and anniversary, though now we may end up going again in 2020 to stay in the Star Wars hotel.

Is 5 weeks too long? The last week would be the only one that was just my husband and myself, and it might be fun to do grown up stuff. Our flights are more expensive than an extra week (so we won’t be back any time soon), we are upgrading to an AP as it’s cheaper, and I will be sad if we miss the Christmas party. However, 5 weeks is a very long time to spend in a theme park! Is it silly to even consider this? Thank you.

I don't know if you can technically consider any time too long in a place where we love Disney LOL

I think the real question is, can you afford the extra week? If you can and you look forward to spending time with just you and your husband, then I would say stay another week. Do you plan to go to the parks every day? I think that might be a bit much, I would hope you would enjoy some downtime, relax at the resort, or wherever you are staying. We are going for 13 days this Summer, but only 10 park days and are very much looking forward to it. If I could, I would totally extend our time :D

We did 11 days a few years back, first 9 at Board Walk last 2 at POFQ. In the cab ride over to POFQ wifey and I agreed that if we were to be on our way to MCO we would have had our fill. We enjoyed the last 2 days but since then our trips 9 have been 10 days, 9 last Nov and this Oct.

Bill From PA

When you factor in all Disney Parks, Universal, SeaWorld, Kennedy Space Center, Legoland, beaches, etc., there is endless amounts of things to do in Central Florida. Take days in between parks to enjoy pool days to relax so you don't wear yourselves out

If the point of staying an extra week is largely to experience the Christmas party it is hard to justify the extension. If you have kids and you want a week as a couple I get it. I would just do it near a beach somewhere after being in Disney for 30 days. There are some great things to see and do in Florida outside Disney but I've only experienced a very small fraction of it.

12 days was the longest trip for us. It was great but we were ready to go home.

I went for 2 weeks with a big group like yours a few years ago and I found it to be too long. But, we had a baby who was off his routine for that time, and were staying at POR, so we had no space from the baby when he went to bed. We also found we needed some space from family. I would recommend interspersing date days and nights and taking it easy at the parks. As well as lots of down time and pool time.

We are going in September with extended family, this time baby is a preschooler and we have a new baby! But we also have a living room and kitchen this time and less family commitments. We are going for 12 days and I think that'll be perfect for us.

If I were you, coming from the UK, and if I could afford it, I would add the extra week! Having family leave will be like a vacation from your vacation, and it sounds like you really want to do the party. I say go for it!

I haven't found my limit yet. Our longest trips have been 8 days-in-park and in both cases, we were sad to leave and could have definitely spent more time there.

That being said, this last 8-day trip we literally did every attraction in the 4 parks. So at least we left with a sense of accomplishment!

Weather is a factor too - we had one 5-day trip in June a few years back, and the heat index increased throughout the trip until the last day it was 115 degrees (actual temp like 98-99.) I don't think I could do a full week of those temperatures, even though I am a native Texan.

I may be among the minority, but there is absolutely no way that I could do four weeks at Disney. Just absolutely no way. We vacation quite a bit and the longest that we've been gone is 10 days- and that was Austria, Switzerland and Germany. Undoubtedly when we vaca by day 7, I'm ready to be home and in my own bed with my cats and my pillows (and my husband usually:rotfl:).

Like Jeremy, above, I live in Texas (am not native, but lived here for over 20 years) so I definitely would not want to subject myself to weeks upon weeks of treacherous heat and humidity with little down time from it. Even visiting the resorts and the restaurants you still must go outside and deal with the heat and other weather in Florida.

Personally, I think 5 weeks is FAR too long. And if you're doing 5 weeks only to see MVMCP -- I've experienced that too and wouldn't "waste" a week on it. It's just a few hours and as much as I love Disney, I wouldn't blow an entire week on it. But if you do it, please write a trip report about it!! :jumping1:

A Disney stay that is too long?? Is that possible?????

10 days has been our longest trip - 3 days for the shortest.

If I were staying for 5 weeks, I would spend at least one of those weeks at Universal or some other Florida location. If you do this in the middle of your vacation, then you won’t have been anywhere longer than 2 weeks at a time.

Enjoy your vacation!!!

We are going to WDW for the first time in October, coming from the UK. We are spending 4 weeks there, with 4 groups of family/friends. We have zero time when we will be there on our own.

The first Christmas party starts a few days after we leave. We can’t arrive later because we are tied to school holidays. I am vaguely kicking around the idea of staying for the Christmas party, a total of 5 weeks. This was originally supposed to be our “one and done” trip for a big birthday and anniversary, though now we may end up going again in 2020 to stay in the Star Wars hotel.

Is 5 weeks too long? The last week would be the only one that was just my husband and myself, and it might be fun to do grown up stuff. Our flights are more expensive than an extra week (so we won’t be back any time soon), we are upgrading to an AP as it’s cheaper, and I will be sad if we miss the Christmas party. However, 5 weeks is a very long time to spend in a theme park! Is it silly to even consider this? Thank you.
Yes, that seems too long. May I suggest a Disney Cruise from nearby Port Canaveral to break up your time at the parks.
Also, I'm assuming you are visiting the Universal parks while you're in Orlando.

I would LOVE to give five weeks at Disney a shot! The longest stay for me has been 9 days and we were sad to leave.

I'm such a fan that I could do five weeks without even needing to leave the property...especially if I was staying at a Deluxe resort.

Is 5 weeks too long? The last week would be the only one that was just my husband and myself, and it might be fun to do grown up stuff.
Not at all. That extra week will be so special for the two of you.

And as others have said, there is so much to do in central Florida using WDW as a base that you won't have to spend all five weeks in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter