How long for re-adjustment?

WatchinCaptKangaroo

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I have a question for ya. My boyfriend came back from Iraq 5 months ago and I swear he is depressed. He has all the signs and says he just doesn't care about anything anymore. He denies it and says he's re-adjusted just fine but I have my doubts.

How long does it really take to re-adjust?
I can't take much more of this new attitude of his; he's driving me crazy.

Advice? help?

Thanks!

Wow, my DH got back from Iraq 5 months ago too, and he was readjusted in no time. I would suggest he see someone professionally. I would think that his superiors would have noticed his behavior and told him to see one of the counselors.

Thanks LK. I mentioned something about talking to someone and got "I am NOT depressed!" back. I'm not sure how much interaction he has with his superiors so I'm not sure if they would have noticed. Personally I think it's because he's working night crew and sees the sun for 30 minutes every day.

Thanks again

Each person readjusts in their own time, some do it on their own and some end up needing help. Most bases/posts have hired on additional social workers and case managers to see that the soldiers are getting the care (medical & psch) that they need. If he is working an odd shift away from his normal chain of command they might not be aware of him having issues. Best of luck to you.

Thanks. I don't know what I'm going to do. Would it be horrible to tell him I can't deal with his moodiness anymore and he needs to talk to someone or we're done?

Hmm, I'm really not sure. I asked my DH and he said, "don't tell him it's over, but tell him that he needs to go talk with someone." I agree. It's not fair to you or him, and maybe when he sees someone his moodiness might not dissapear over night but at least he will be getting those feelings out and starting that process of emotionally letting it go. HTH

Thanks so much! Now it's the process of getting a "macho" Marine to see that it's OK to talk to someone. Maybe a threat of endless shopping trips will do the trick.

Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter