How long does your dryer take to dry clothes?

Minnie824

DIS Veteran
We got a new energy efficient dryer, and it seems like it takes forever to dry clothes! I don't know if its the dryer, or our setup or if its just normal. So, for the normal, medium heat setting on the dryer, how long does it take to dry an average size load of clothes? Ours seems to be taking 2 - 2.5 hrs which seems really long.

wow, that is really long, if I am drying lots of jeans, it may take an hour. Is your vent hooked up correctl?y. If it is clogged, it will take a lot longer to dry.

2 -2.5 hours for a normal average load is MUCH too long. It should take no more than 45 minutes for an average load.
We used to live in a house that had the laundry room almost in the center of the house which meant the vent for the dryer had to extend well over 27 feet and it would take forever for clothes to dry.
When we called someone to "repair" this problem, he said the dryer was fine-the vent system had to be addressed.
We had to spend $150 on this fan type device that would help boost the air that moved through the vent system. (I'm sure I am not describing this correctly but at least I know what I mean!!!)
I would make sure your vent was clear. If the vent system is fine, then maybe your dryer needs something. :confused3

I agree....2 - 2 1/2 hours is too long. Ours usually takes 45 min, maybe an hour for heavy towels and we have an older, not so efficient dryer.

Mine is older and with jeans it's taken well over an hour to dry, but ususally 40-45 minutes does the trick on other loads.

We have the new duet system and it takes us about 35 minutes to dry an average load on medium. Some times a little longer but no where near 2-2.5 hours.

My new dryer can dry some things in 10 minutes!!! It is the stainless steel inside. A regular load is about 20-30 mins.

If it takes more than an hour you have too many clothes in there or the dryer is a POC.

The problem might not be your dryer--might be the washer isn't spinning enough water out of the clothes. The dryer we bought with our energy efficient washer isn't "Energy Star" certified itself. But since the washer takes out so much of the water, clothes dry in about the same time as they take to wash.

We have a Fisher and Paykel washer and dryer and love them!

We just bought high efficiency washer/dryer set. The dryer was taking forever so we called for service. Initially, they told us that it was taking so long because we used dryer sheets that fouled up the sensors. Then, when cleaning the sensors didn't make a difference, we realized that there was an electrical problem with the dryer and insisted that they exchange the dryer for a new machine. The new dryer is wonderful, drying large loads of heavy clothes is 45 minutes or less. Other, lighter loads dry in 30 minutes or so...it is wonderful!! I'd suggest a service call to find out what the problem is!!

Minnie824 said:
We got a new energy efficient dryer, and it seems like it takes forever to dry clothes! I don't know if its the dryer, or our setup or if its just normal. So, for the normal, medium heat setting on the dryer, how long does it take to dry an average size load of clothes? Ours seems to be taking 2 - 2.5 hrs which seems really long.

Minnie824, I hope you read this.....

We had a nice dryer that was about 8 years old. Then, it started to take longer and longer to dry clothes - close to 2 hours.

We thought it was going bad, so we decided to buy a new one. We went to Sears and bought a nice new Maytag. Brought it home and hooked it up.

We put in some clothes and turned it on. About an hour later, it was still going and the clothes were still damp.

So, I unhooked it and decided to clean out the vent. You should have seen the MASSIVE pile of lint that I got out of the vent. Now, this is the vent that goes from the the wall to the outside of the house - whether it be to the roof or out the side.

Hooked the dryer back up and what a difference. Now, a load of jeans and bath towels take about 30 minutes to dry.

I have come to the conclusion that our old dryer was still good. Our vent just needed to be unclogged.

ChristmasElf said:
2 -2.5 hours for a normal average load is MUCH too long. It should take no more than 45 minutes for an average load.
We used to live in a house that had the laundry room almost in the center of the house which meant the vent for the dryer had to extend well over 27 feet and it would take forever for clothes to dry.
When we called someone to "repair" this problem, he said the dryer was fine-the vent system had to be addressed.
We had to spend $150 on this fan type device that would help boost the air that moved through the vent system. (I'm sure I am not describing this correctly but at least I know what I mean!!!)
I would make sure your vent was clear. If the vent system is fine, then maybe your dryer needs something. :confused3

Who did you call to check your system out?? We have the same situation in our house but DH cleans the vent out a couple times a year (I'm paranoid of fires). Anyhow I read somewhere that you can vent the hose right into the laundry room into a bucket with water (can get at Home Depot) but then I'd be worried about mold in the laundry room.

My DH called a place that did Appliance repairs in the phone book.
It took about 10 days for the fan part thing they put on to come in.
In the meantime, I just unhooked the vent part off the back of the dryer and dried the closes that way.
It would cause the laundry room to get all humid, and DH was not pleased as he thought I might ruin the wood, but the clothes got dry this way and my argument was it was only temporary.

Now this last time we were house hunting, I made sure the laundry room was right on an outside wall and the vent was right there and not 25 feet away!

Good Luck!! I hope you are able to find out the problem soon.

KarenC said:
But since the washer takes out so much of the water, clothes dry in about the same time as they take to wash.

We have a Fisher and Paykel washer and dryer and love them!

We have that washer, but bought a cheaper dryer because the saleman said "a dryer is a dryer".

I love the washer though! Couldn't believe it when the dryer was done before the next load was done washing.

angel's momma said:
We have that washer, but bought a cheaper dryer because the saleman said "a dryer is a dryer".

I love the washer though! Couldn't believe it when the dryer was done before the next load was done washing.

That's because the Fisher Paykel takes longer to wash. We just bought a FP washer and it takes about 45 minutes to wash clothes. My old washer took about 30 min. Now, my clothes are dry in 30 instead of the 45 it used to take :thumbsup2

Thanks for all the info. I called out someone to take a look at the vents this week. We had that problem a couple years ago, and I'm guessing its the same issue again. Hopefully they'll get it fixed.

I can't believe this thread was started today.

I got a new dryer last November. It worked great for about 2 months. Now it takes 3 hours to dry any load. I clean out my lint after every use. Plus I can go outside and clean the lint out from the vent.

I have a front/end Maytag and it spins all the water out of the clothes. Sometimes to much that shirts really end up wrinkled if I don't use permenant press cycle.

After 45 minutes of my dryer running on normal cycle/automatic heat, the clothes are wet yet, moisture it built up on the outside door and around the lint catcher.

Sometimes I will move it to set time, it worked for awhile, know that setting don't work anymore. I moved it to Permenant Press cycle and that isn't working either.

My machine acts like it is slowy dying and it is only 7 months old.

Sears just called, will be there by 4:00.

OhMari said:
I can't believe this thread was started today.

I got a new dryer last November. It worked great for about 2 months. Now it takes 3 hours to dry any load. I clean out my lint after every use. Plus I can go outside and clean the lint out from the vent.

I have a front/end Maytag and it spins all the water out of the clothes. Sometimes to much that shirts really end up wrinkled if I don't use permenant press cycle.

After 45 minutes of my dryer running on normal cycle/automatic heat, the clothes are wet yet, moisture it built up on the outside door and around the lint catcher.

Sometimes I will move it to set time, it worked for awhile, know that setting don't work anymore. I moved it to Permenant Press cycle and that isn't working either.

My machine acts like it is slowy dying and it is only 7 months old.

Sears just called, will be there by 4:00.

Let me know what they say! I'd be interested if it was actually w/the new dryer and not the vents. Our vent cleaner isnt coming til Wed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter