How long does this "fever thing" last??

doodle

<font color=deeppink>I enjoy being tagged!<br><fon
My teenager has had a fever since Sunday. When I took her to the Dr. Wed., he gave her an antibiotic because he thought it was strep. He didn't do a culture because he doesn't trust the accuracy of the quick one and said by the time the culture grows she would be done with the Z pack (penicillin allergy) he put her on. Now, Friday, she still has a fever and I wondering if it is the flu and if so, how long will this fever last?! She was without fever for awhile yesterday but it's 102 this morning. I'll probably take her back to the Dr. today. Thanks for any help.

I'm not in the health care profession but I would take her in and find out what is going on...I think that is a bit long for a fever...JMHO!...Hope she and YOU feel better soon! Nothing is worse than having a sick child...

Take care

Holycow

I ran a fever for about 10 days and DD6 for almost 2 weeks. We both went to the doctor but there was nothing they could do.

Peggy

I had the same thing and unfortunately my fever lasted for 2 weeks!!!! The darn thing just would not go away. :(

DD had a fever for 4 days last week and she had nothing, just an annoying cough. she still has a bit of a cough now but the fever is gone. Good luck!

Does she have a cough too? My kids ran a fever(high at times) for about 6 days with this. Then both got ear infections/sinus infections afterward:rolleyes: . I know some kids ran low grade fevers for up to 2 weeks! My kids were each at the Dr's 2 times with it. I would go back before the weekend. The rapid strep test they use here is now almost as accurate as the overnight. Not sure what rapid your Dr is using. Good luck, most kids at my children's school have had this nasty bug, articles in the paper on it.

I'd go back and insist that he do some more testing. There's always a chance that it is bacterial but that the antibiotics she got weren't the right kind for that particular strain. Also, the dr will probably want to run a blood test for mono. Mono looks a lot like strep throat and is often mistaken for it. You can't actually treat mono, but at least you'll know not to expect her to feel better for a while.

This is my 5th day out of school with this flu thing.
My fever only lasted a few days but i had a really nasty cough.
The doctor says it lasts from 7-10 days.

It sounds like what my dd had last week. It started on a monday and lasted at whole week, she still has a cough. :(

DD had the flu-like symptoms that started on Valentines Day and she just this week stopped coughing.

DS started his flu-like symptoms on Saturday Night with a slight fever and headache . . .I kept him home because he looked and felt terrible . . .he never had a stomach sickness, just temp, achey, headache, cough . . .he still hasn't gotten his appetite back and just yesterday he started drinking normal amounts of fluids . . .Doctor said its a viral bug and it'll just have to run its course.

My DS 5 is out of school today with a fever and he says his neck hurts. I called the doctor's office and they say it is a virus running rampant right now and there is nothing they can do. The nurse said the aches can move from the neck to the head and even to the extremeties. She said to just keep him on Motrin or Tylenol and give him plenty of fluids. My friend's DS 6 has been out of school 2 days with a fever and stomach cramps so I'm not sure if it's the same virus or not but her pediatrician said if he was not better by Monday to give them a call. I hope it doesn't last 2 weeks!

DD had the strep/high fever thing last weekend. She started w/ low grade fever and cough Friday. By Friday overnight the fever was 103 and up. Even with meds it wouldn't stay under 102.5 We had a shot of antibiotics at the ER Saturday morning, and the DR said she'd be better by Sunday morning. It ended up being mid-day Monday, after another set of antibiotics before the fever would stay down. She went back to school Tuesday, but was absolutely worn out. She went straight to bed when she got home, and slept all night. School has been out for snow here since then, but I'd say she's just now approaching normal, and still has a slight cough.

Thanks so much for all your replies - and support! DD's fever is down and she now has a bad cough. I think this is just a bad virus and hopefully she'll be over it for school next week! (Now that she is in high school she really HATES to miss school). Anyway, thanks again!

Just an update ---- DD is much better. She still has a cough. The fever lasted 7 days! I still can hardly believe it! The good thing is now that it is gone I am full of thankfulness. I hope with the advent of spring we will all be seeing less of these bad viruses. Thanks again for all your input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter