How high up do seats go on Soarin?

Kristinluvsdisney

Mouseketeer
Im a person who is not to fond of heights, i would like to try soarin, my husband said if sit in third row im probably not going to go up that high. Does anyone know how high the rows go up, like maybe the 3rd row or something? Thanks. :goodvibes

Someone just mentioned the bottom row being 6-8 feet off the ground in a post the other day. I don't know because I don't pay attention and we usually try to get in the top/highest row.

I'm not sure if this will make you more or less scared but I"ll share a few bits of information.

1. Besides the feeling of going up in the first place you can't tell how high you are becasue everything that isn't the screen is pitch black and that is ahead of you and extends past the floor so even looking at that doesn't give you a good idea. This is why I have absolutely no clue how high up I am besides knowing that I"m higher then my chair at work since I can't touch the ground and the height is bounded by the height of the room when I walked in.

2. My sister who is scared of driving over bridges and is afraid of monorail because she is so afraid of heights went on this ride without any problem. Well I should say any fear of heights, she is also afraid of fireworks and didn't realize their were fireworks so that scene wasn't as much fun....

I am also afraid of heights (although I've gotten better over the years), and to be honest, the fact that we were in an IMax theatre made it hard for me to tell exactly how far up I was. It isn't really easy to look down and see ground. Especially since it is dark.

However, the ride makes you feel 'virtually" a few hundred feet off the ground, so I'm not sure how that would affect you.

I agree with the others. Its actually the first row that goes the highest, and you really dont notice. My son is autistic, and has a fear of heights, and other sensory issues (he wont ride Goofys barnstormer), and this is his favorite ride!!! It is dark and even if you look down, you cant really see how high you are. If it is an issue, aim for row 3- it is not high at all.

I can't find a reference, but I seem to recall that the first row goes up four stories or so -- about 40 feet.

that would seem correct, as the screen is like 80 feet tall and the lowest edge is below the load platform...

Thanks for asking this OP. I was wondering the same thing. I don't like heights, and DD10 is petrified. I've heard that you can't tell how high you are and that this is a "can't miss" ride.

Can anyone tell me if you are sitting up or laying down on this ride?

It most certainly is not 6-8 feet off the ground. The carriages lift off the platform and then move over the pit. The third row is about 40-50 feet up.

It most certainly is not 6-8 feet off the ground. The carriages lift off the platform and then move over the pit. The third row is about 40-50 feet up.

LOL - no problem, like I said I never look - we like the top. It's just what I saw posted here in some similar thread recently. Sorry for my bad info OP!

I've looked down at a CM on the floor during the ride from the top/first row and judged it was maybe 35' up at most. Of course this is only my judgement. If that was at all accurate, then I would say middle/second row is about 25', and bottom/third row about 15'.

However, I agree that unless you do what I did and specifically look "off-stage", you don't have any sense of height except from the film itself. It is a very gentle ride.

I have a HUGE fear of heights. The first time I rode it, I was panic stricken the entire time that I was in line. Sweaty palms, fast heart beat. You know...the whole kit and kaboddle. Anyway, the worst part for me was the initial "take off" when you go off the ground. Now, when I ride it, I just close my eyes really tight for that part and enjoy the rest of the ride. I guess it is a mind over matter thing. The scenery is amazing so if you can talk yourself into it, I would go for it.

I am extremely afraid of heights (must close eyes on rollercoasters because I go on them for my son) and this ride doesn't bother me. I love it, one of my favorites!

1st row - 45 feet

2nd row - 30 feet

3rd row - 15 feet

Just wondering where you got this information from. And is it measured from the platform or from the bottom of the pit? I worked this attraction for over 2 years and yes the CM sitting there is about 20 feet down but that is on the platform. There are stairs that go down further into the pit you are hovering over.

Just wondering where you got this information from. And is it measured from the platform or from the bottom of the pit? I worked this attraction for over 2 years and yes the CM sitting there is about 20 feet down but that is on the platform. There are stairs that go down further into the pit you are hovering over.

Lunch with an Imagineer. :)

Im a person who is not to fond of heights, i would like to try soarin, my husband said if sit in third row im probably not going to go up that high. Does anyone know how high the rows go up, like maybe the 3rd row or something? Thanks. :goodvibes

My DD and I really do not like heights. Disney brings out the daredevil in us and we tried Soarin. The lift did not bother me as much as the opening scene but once I got used to feeling we loved it. If you can get yourself to give it a try I'm sure you will too.

There is a seatbelt and there is no reason you can't throw the center strap on that they tell the kids to use. Grab the two handles on the sides and enjoy. It really is a great ride.:thumbsup2

I have to say, that I am not someone is is frightened by heights. I climb 10 foot tall ladders at work without a though. But Soarin scares the bejeezus out of me! You can tell you are high up, don't let anyone fool you. Add to that the fact that the ride vehicle dips and sways with the movie, and that you can feel your feet swing, and you have one realistic ride. It does feel as if you are flying!

I've been on Soarin a few times, and actually rode with my eyes closed the last 2 times. I think I will be passing on it from now on.

Still, if you want to try it, I do think you need to ask for the back row. It is the lowest to the ground. Just don't look down.:eek:

Thanks for asking this OP. I was wondering the same thing. I don't like heights, and DD10 is petrified. I've heard that you can't tell how high you are and that this is a "can't miss" ride.

Can anyone tell me if you are sitting up or laying down on this ride?
oh you SO can see down. Especially a kid is going to look down when that car lifts off. You totally know how high you are. If your scared of heights - and I"m not particularly scared of heights - this ride bothers me BAD. I had a whole thread about my panic of it a few days ago. I've done the top, and I"ve done the bottom and even the bottom, knowing I"m only a few feet off the ground scares the pants off of me.

I have to say, that I am not someone is is frightened by heights. I climb 10 foot tall ladders at work without a though. But Soarin scares the bejeezus out of me! You can tell you are high up, don't let anyone fool you. Add to that the fact that the ride vehicle dips and sways with the movie, and that you can feel your feet swing, and you have one realistic ride. It does feel as if you are flying!

I've been on Soarin a few times, and actually rode with my eyes closed the last 2 times. I think I will be passing on it from now on.

Still, if you want to try it, I do think you need to ask for the back row. It is the lowest to the ground. Just don't look down.:eek:

Someone the other day told me to go get a brownie at the food place downstairs. :) That's what I'm doing next time. LOL.

Soarin' is one that I try to get out of every year. We rode several years ago in the front row. The lift up was terrible- I think the clouds did me in!! I rode w/ 1 eye open and a death grip. In the meantime my 3 older dc where totally enjoying it! :rotfl: We rode 2 yrs ago in the 3rd row. and I swear the motion of the gliders did me in. I never felt it the first time we rode in the front seats. Again w/ the 1 eye ride and death grip. oh and I do use the middle strap too! It is very realistic.
I can do roller coasters but not soarin'. I am leaving Soarin' to DH to ride!

All I can say is give it a ride! If you can't do it-- ride w/ your eyes closed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter