How high is too much for you?

Thank you. You expressed my point better than I did. Many buildings/rides are built to look run down in that sense but the actual park is beautiful. This part of Missouri is considered middle south from a landscaping perspective. We do have winter. So the kind of lush vegetation one will see at a park in central Florida is not possible -- just a fact of Mother Nature. However, the park is located in a beautiful hardwood forest IMO -- themed around Christian life in the 1800's. Really different theming than WDW.

I almost got married there. It definitely holds a special place in my heart. :love:

As for the paint needing maintenance, I know for a fact that they keep a crew on in the winter (January to mid-March) to do maintenance on the park, including painting any areas that need touch-ups. So, depending on when the pp visited the park, it could be that it was close to when the park was closing for the year and therefore may have needed the paint touch-ups. If it was earlier in the year, the PP could have mistaken a building that was purposefully "run-down". Some buildings were built to recreate buildings that would have existed in the 1880's, and therefore aren't painted every year. But regardless, they DO keep the park extremely clean, the park often gets higher friendliness markings than even Disney, and a lot of the "run-down" look is on purpose to keep the feel of a small city in the 1880's.

But enough about Silver Dollar City. I know this is a board for Disney. But I may have to go to SDCfans tonight to get my fix of Silver Dollar City admiration since I'm obviously on the wrong board for that. :rotfl:

I'd prefer to stop going, but my wife doesn't stop nagging until I book a trip.

I wonder how much of the price increase is due to the number of people that will do anything to get free days and meals by the unbelievable complaining in guest relations. Me heard some stories last trip that made my hair curl. My response was this is why prices continue to climb, and a few weeks later they did. When people are willing to cause a scene because they burnt their mouth on a pizza and will scream and curse because it should have been the right temperature when they took a bite, and cause such a commotion that we were embarrassed to be I the room, so much that a manager gave them their lunch money back then park admission refunded to shut them up. I was happy they refused to refund their room cost.

I wish I had the net e to. It up the wAy they did over their own stupidity, but I don't and I don't think I would ever, but prices go up because of the economy and people that feel entitled.

When I first read the thread I thought to myself - Gee I hope a lot of people are priced out. You just described those people. My first trip was 1976. So I have seen a lot.

I bought DVC about 11 years ago for $64/point. Current prices of $145/point I would never pay. So my room is already paid for. With a full kitchen - we eat very few meals out. Last summer over 10 days we ate out - 1 breakfast, one lunch and 2 dinners. That trip I bought a 7 day ticket. But before that we had a 10 day no expire, water parks and more that lasted me over 5 trips. I still have water park days left. Just ordered another 10 day ticket before the price increase - just to have. I'm waitlisted for nights this coming New Years Eve.

This summer we are travelling to the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce then up to Yellowstone/Grand Teton. I traded my DVC for a timeshare near Yellowstone for a week.

This is how I justify my expenses at WDW. My husband and son went to a preseason Patriots game last year with friends. The tickets were $240. Parking was $40. Snacks/Drinks was another $100. Now I try to figure out how people justify/afford those prices for a couple of hours.

Janis

By the way, thanks to this thread I learned about Silver Dollar City. I am putting Branson on the family vacation list! Sounds great! In the end there will be not price too high to go to Disney, it will just limit how often we will go.

Disney already is too high for us a family of 5 with three kids who are considered "adults", so we have already made changes:
We use to be loyal on-site guests-now we rent a time shre
We use to love eating on site- Now we eat 85% off site, would never do a buffet, only do CS with the exception of Sci-Fi ($120. for lunch for burgers and such) and the Plaza
We use to buy lots of souvies, but when we got home they would fall apart...now we do not buy much now because if just pure junk. A magnet and a cup is about it, last time I bought a 20. resort travel mug it was toast one week after we returned home:mad::mad::mad:
Did the YES program this trip, to help with cost of tickets. Our trip will cost us about 2,500 less, by doing a lot of things NOT through Disney. The food being number one, staying off site number 2.
Other vacation destinations are now on our bucket list, because they are more affordable or more attractive than Disney. We may have to save a bit more to go to Paris or Hawaii, but we also giving a wonderful gift to our children by showing them the world. Renting a home in Paris with Eiffel Tower on Bastille Day view costs less than to stay on Disney property! Now that is magical people!

Between "Disney adults" and laughable "value" Art of Animation suites, value what a joke...I get a gorgeous 2 Bedroom at WBC for 110 a night, with pools with slides and lazy rivers...a hundred times nicer than AOA! Renting Disney DVC points-waaaaaay too much even at 10. a point. We like a 2 week vacation, and will not settle for less.

I know Disney is making a profit, I know it is business, so you know who you are and where you can stick your condescending comments. I will not engage, nor am I intimidated I will speak my truth. Although surprisingly I have not seen that too much yet on this thread...but give it time.

I am a consumer who has changed their purchasing habits because I am not happy with the gouging of my family vacation dollars and can no longer afford a lot at Disney like we used to.

Hawaii, DC, Paris, London, Ireland, California, The Cape, New York, New Hampshire, non-Disney cruises here we come!:cool1: I can show my kids the world not the same old world showcase.

Food in Hawaii, may cost but not more than a 10 year old at a Disney buffet, a nice all inclusive cruise in Hawaii baby or just renting a home. These are fantastic options and are magical.

I am definitely in the camp of Disney is costing too much! Sad, but true so adjustments are being made already.

The prices are getting ridiculous! I bought 10 day no exp park hopper with waterparks in 2005 and paid $296 for them. Right now just the no exp opt is $325'.:sick:

I'm just glad I'm a FL res & DVC member so I have access to all types of discounts. We no longer do many sit down restaurants either as spending $160 for dinner for 4 (2 teens) is not worth it for me.

We went for 1 week in March,stayed at BCV 1 bdrm, got tixs for 4 days non-PH's, went to SW for a day and spent $1765 for everything, incl food.

I for one don't visit the pArks as much as we used to, unless I get a great deal. We have trips planned for Oct And Dec, Oct we will visit the parks 1 day and maybe do the Mnsshp and go to Sw the other days (as we have a 1 year pass). Our next trip in 2014 we will do Universal and maybe discovery cove (if they offer the Fl res deal again.

I'm enjoying all the different viewpoints.

I just read parking is going up to $15 a day with the ticket increase.

We live 9 hours by plane away from Disney, if we're going to spend over $1,500 in plane tickets to get there why would I want to stay offsite, having to drive to Disney to do everything and taking sandwiches to the parks to save a few bucks? We don't more than once per year, we have a savings account specially for those trips. Like I said it's still a good value for us so you'll see me back next year and probably the year after that.

:thumbsup2 This is us. We usually go once a year and go at minimum for 3 weeks. We buy AP's, we stay onsite (with a few off site visits like Sea World ect) have one table service reservation each day and one counter service. Breakfast is usually coffee and something on the run.

For the time being, we won't be priced out of Disney for the foreseeable future. The cost of a one day ticket is getting ridiculous, considering it's only $600 or so for an AP. The cost of an AP for 21+ days isn't that bad.

I paid over $150 to see The Lion King stage version when it was touring....2 or so hours; I paid $65 for a concert ticket that lasted again, 2 hours plus a $10 parking fee; I paid $75 for nose-bleed seats at a baseball game, $15 parking fee, and $9.50 luke warm beers..... I could go on and on.....

bottom line, even if I *did* pay full price for a one-day ticket at WDW and *did* pay the $15 parking fee, I am still getting a tremendous bargain in comparison. You can't raise salaries, pay higher costs for all the things they use at the parks that we see and those that we don't, and not expect the prices to go up. I surely miss my prices from 1972 but there is an awful lot more there now and an awful lot more to maintain.

Disney will have to raise its prices significantly to push us out, but I would stop going in a heart beat if they force me to change the way that I tour the parks. I am not a planner - I do not reserve dining months in advance, and I will never consider reserving a ride fast pass months in advance. If Disney forces me in this direction, I will simply stop going.

BTW, I agree with the PP who said that he/she would pay hundreds for a FotL pass at WDW. It would allow me to be even more relaxed in my touring of the parks.

It doesn't matter how high it gets we'll still go. WDW is the only vacation we take. We are not big spenders in everyday life partly due to where we live, but we splurge once a year. We both work long hours and don't drive fancy cars or spend a lot on everyday items but I don't look at the prices when it comes to our annual WDW vacation :yay:

We have been priced out of table service restaurants and character buffets. So far, we feel like we get our money's worth out f the parks.

I'm in a similar situation. I have an AP (work takes me to Orlando 3x/year). For a 4-5 days trip. I am "priced down" to one TS per visit--if that--and I'm priced out of every resort except for values w/ AP discount.

For comparison, with an AP discount I used to regularly stay at a value resort for $59-69/night. Now it is close to $100 for a standard room. WITH the discount.

If you are spending the whole day at the parks, it's expensive but at least you feel like you are getting your money's worth. We go and usually stay onsite and when we do, we get tickets for everyday but only go for around 4 hours and have dinner and leave, so the value is not really there for the high price of park tickets.

I think it's what it's worth to you and your family. Disney will always have a lock on families with little girls...who doesn't want to see Cinderella and the gang and dress up like a princess and ride princess rides, at least once. You can't get that experience anywhere else.

But at some point I can see more people moving away from making it a yearly destination. But as long as they get every family in America (and as many from around the world) to go once or twice, they will be fine.

By the way, thanks to this thread I learned about Silver Dollar City. I am putting Branson on the family vacation list! Sounds great! In the end there will be not price too high to go to Disney, it will just limit how often we will go.

Exactly, I think a lot of people will find other vacation places and then rotate more, and go to Disney less. There are other "magical" places out there :)

To answer the original question. They have already priced the park tickets too high for me. We go for two weeks and we sometimes don't go into the parks at all and if we do it is only one day. And the reason we go for two weeks is because we own DVC so the stay is already paid for. I just can't see the justification to pay $50-90 to go on 4 or 5 rides while waiting in line for 45min to several hours for each ride. I am glad they are doing well but over the years they have spend a fortune adding resorts and hotels (more then 28,000 room in reality, inducing FW sites and DVC) but nothing to increase the size of the parks (and the fantasyland expansion isn't an expansion only repurposing an existing area). So they want you to stay inside but could not care less if you are falling all over each other in the parks. The jest of this post...make the parks larger!!! Thank you. :)

Well...it's already out of my price range as I have to save for a year and a half just to get there. I'm on a fixed income, and it's been hard work this time as I'm paying for someone else as well as me. It's been a near thing.

I love WDW so much that I can't imagine not being financially able to go, but that day is probably closer than I'd like to admit. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter