How far ahead to book air tickets??

winter10

Earning My Ears
We are planning to go to Disney in August. How far ahead do you usually buy airline tickets? I'm afraid if I buy them now rates will go down later. We've never flown before so I don't know if there is a ryhme or reason to rates or if it's just a gamble.

Thanks

Start watching the prices now. If you fly Southwest it will be easy to get money back if the price drops. The other airlines have a fee when they change the tickets.

When you find a price that seems good book it. It may not be there hours later.

I know how you feel. We are going this August and I have been hemming and hawing about purchasing tickets. I know in the past the rates have been really good in June, but since we are going on a cruise, I'd hate to wait and find out the rates this year are more. So, I actually just purchased my tickets last week for 189.00 with Delta. I know last year Delta went down to 150.00 and the year before they were 132.00. I really don't want to wait for Southwest. I think if I didn't have the cruise booked I would have waited but I just didn't want to take the chance.

We're going in May. Already have our hotel and passes but still waiting for airline tickets. I just keep checking and if the price is really good, I book at that time. If not, I keep checking. I've booked as far away as 6 months to as close as one month and have always gotten good rates. We've been flying to Disney for about 10 years now and I've never not found good rates.

Our highest rates were $150 per person and our lowest were $120 per person. We've flown Continental, US Air, United, Southwest and Air Tran. Our last time was January with Continental for $120 round trip per person. I guess it all depends on how nervous you get. If it really bothers you to wait, and you find a rate you can live with, go for it. Personally, I prefer to wait and I've never been disappointed. But that's just me.

It also depends on where you fly out of. We used to live in Vermont and the closest airport was Burlington International, which has very high rates. We ended up flying out of Manchester, NH when we went to California and saved about $600 for both of us. We're flying to California in March and got our tickets out of Columbus for $171.00 per person round trip. Here in Ohio, we have our choice of airports so that makes a big difference in price. We can pick and choose so we have a better opportunity of getting a good rate. You have to do what's comfortable for you. Good luck. I hope you get a good rate.

Winter10,
We bought our tickets through expedia in October and are leaving March 29. More than 6 mos early and are happy with our price. From Seattle to MCO we paid $233/pp on American Airlines with 1 stop in Dallas. W/tax $608 for 2. Prices vary so check around- check the internet, call a travel agent, and watch the newspapers - this way you'll have a good idea of both the going and last minute rates. Happy researching!!

winter10, we usually have a set amount in our budget that we say is the max we will spend for tix. Once I find airfare for that price or lower, we go with it and don't look back. I usually say anything less than $200 r/t for each tix is where we'll buy, but have been lucky in the last and have gotten 3 r/t tix from ROC to MCO for $390 on AirTran.

I would start looking and watching the airline's sites to see what fares you are currently looking at. if you are comfortable spending whatever price is about average, then go for it. If you prefer to wait don't forget to sign up on the airline's website for email notification of sale fares and watch those closely.

GL!

I usually dont plan things in advance. (I booked my upcoming disney trip 28 days in advance!) But when I do, I book the airfare as soon as my dates are confirmed. The airline will give you a refund without penalty if the price drops for the exact ticket you bought.

It depends on the airline. Most airlines charge a fee to get the money back. Ask when buying the tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter