How effective is SeaSafe?

HitbyaDumpTruck

Patiently waiting for my first cruise to set sail.
I have a big aversion to all types of Jellyfish. :scared1: They're really the only thing that might keep me out of the water. I think it was in reading my Passporter that I came across SeaSafe. They said it protected against jellyfish as well as the sun. Has anyone used it and if so how effective is it?

I would be interested in this answer too!!!!

I just bought some. There weren't too many jellyfish CC last time (but I have read of them being more prevalent on the west coast stops), but DD was a little worried about them. I bought it as much for "peace of mind" for her as the real effects. The one thing I am not crazy about is it is only SPF 15, so we will need to reaply more often.

:wizard:

I would be interested in this answer too!!!!

I just bought some. There weren't too many jellyfish CC last time (but I have read of them being more prevalent on the west coast stops), but DD was a little worried about them. I bought it as much for "peace of mind" for her as the real effects. The one thing I am not crazy about is it is only SPF 15, so we will need to reaply more often.

I think it is more for the sea lice (jellyfish larve), rather than the grown jellyfish, right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'll have to check what the bottle says when I get home.

We have bought it and used it during some of our cruises. I think they make one that is more than 15 SPF. It is really greasy and thick, and won't wear off as much as regular sunscreens. Make sure you put it everywhere, like "where the sun don't shine"! I hear that the larve get caught in the swimsuit, and that's where you get stung.

I think it is more for the sea lice (jellyfish larve), rather than the grown jellyfish, right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'll have to check what the bottle says when I get home.

We have bought it and used it during some of our cruises. I think they make one that is more than 15 SPF. It is really greasy and thick, and won't wear off as much as regular sunscreens. Make sure you put it everywhere, like "where the sun don't shine"! I hear that the larve get caught in the swimsuit, and that's where you get stung.

Judy:

thanks for the advice!!!:) I don't think it is sea lice "season" when we go - but will probably put it everywhere just to be safe!!!:)

The bottle I have says "helps prevent stings from jellyfish and sea lice" - so I hope it works for both.

I will look for a higher SPF next time! I had heard that it was hard to find this year for some reason, so I grabbed what I could find at drugstore.com!!! Thank you for the heads up that it doesn't wear off so quick!

I don't think I've noticed it in the stores where I live, so I'll have to order it over the internet.

The warmer the water, the better chance for sea lice. They are more prevelant during the summer months. When we were in Castaway Cay in early March, there was no problem with them at all.

The warmer the water, the better chance for sea lice. They are more prevelant during the summer months. When we were in Castaway Cay in early March, there was no problem with them at all.

:)

same with Oct - cool water, no sea lice problems, and ver few jellyfish!

DD doesn't want to hear it - she heard about seasafe and is wearing it no matter what!!!!:rotfl: So, I bought some for peace of mind!:)

We went to RCL's private island CocoCay last September and there were jellyfish EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had read this so I bought the SeaSafe stuff. My friend and I applied it and did not get stung. Our macho husbands laughed at us and did not use it and both got stung.....

Keep in mind though that she and I were petrified so we stayed horizontal across our raft. They on the other hand were standing in it and swimming. They got it on their shoulder and chest.

I just ordered some from buysafesea.com for our upcoming cruise. None of the sporting goods/scuba stores here carry it. We used 2 years ago and did not get stung. I don't know if it was the Safe Sea or a jellyfish-clear day.

It worked really well for me. Others were getting stung and I was fine.:thumbsup2 Put it on before you put your suit on.

The 3xs I have come across jelly fish were in Cozumel(2xs) and Costa Maya. All three times were in late April/early May.

The positive responses for SeaSafe are doing a lot to alleviate my jellyfish fears.

:cool1: :thumbsup2 :cool1:

Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter