How early should we start taking Bonine???

iluvwdw4ever

DIS Veteran
Hi!!

We are leaving Saturday for our first cruise and we plan to take Bonine since my entire family is very prone to motion sickness and I want to head this off before we even get on the ship. How early does everyone start taking this and is there a certain time that we should take it??? Does it make you drowsy at all??? Any help would be appreciated!!!!

The morning of or night before. Not sure if it made me drowsy because I was already tired and the motion of the ship was so relaxing. I do think it decreased my appetite and dulled my taste buds.

Start taking bonine 48 hours before you are going to sail. So if you sail on a saturday, start taking bonine around dinner time thursday, and then twice a day for the rest of your vacation. This is what my family does and we have almost never had problems.

We just take it the night before we cruise, at dinner time. We use the 24 hour release med...so we don't have to take it again until dinner the next night. Dinner time works great...just in case you have some who are affected by sleepiness. :thumbsup2 Be sure to read up on the dosage amount...my crew only needs it once a day (and we get seasick easily) I wouldn't want to give my crew the extra dose unless they really needed it. Hope this helps!

princess: Crystal

I recommend doing a trial before you leave home. This way if any one has an issue with the med you are close to your family doctor.

I take my dose the morning I fly to FL (ususally the day before the cruise) and take a second one on embarkation morning. I don't usually need one after that...it's just crusing through that pesky Gulf stream that gets to me the first night.

(I'm asleep when we cross back through it on the way home.)

For those who take it before leaving on the ship. Are there any other side effects that you feel since your not experiencing the motion it is supposed to counter act.

For those who take it before leaving on the ship. Are there any other side effects that you feel since your not experiencing the motion it is supposed to counter act.

None for me. Buy some, take one, see what happens...that's what I did.

DW begins the morning before, but since we usually fly the day before she starts a couple days ahead of time. usually the day before the motion sickness causing event.

I start the night before and have had success. Don't forget to get some seabands too - they are lifesavers for me!

Bonine is just fine to take without the motion. I'm a hardcore, totally motion-sick person who takes the prescription dose for flights, and, at most, it makes me a little sleepy and spacey. Bonine is totally unlike Dramimine in that respect: it always seems to me that Dramimine works by keeping you at a very low-grade motionsick so that you don't experience the full-blown version. Bonine (meclizine is the prescription name) is extremely forgiving and gentle.

bonine works excellent thats all you need. start taking it friday night, than take it every night before you go to bed take it a couple of nights after you get home also. bonine is not suppose to make you drowsy but it does to me and i weigh over 200 pounds. so i just take it every night before i go to bed.

We take it right before we set sail and only once a day. It worked doing it that way when we unexpectedly hit extremely high swells on our 2005 EB Panama Canal cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter