How does POR or CSR make you feel...."Ahh, so nice!" or "Hmmm, kinda motelish?"

disney-super-mom

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to plan a trip to include my family (DH, me, DS8 and DS5) as well as my MIL and BIL. DH and I have been to WDW once before, but our two little boys, my MIL, and BIL have never been to WDW. I want this to be a special trip for all of us, and I want our resort to feel special as well. We're planning on going sometime in the first two weeks of December.

I've read some reviews from people who felt the moderates are a little motelish, and yet others say they just love the moderate resorts because they're so nice. So, how do the moderates make you feel? Do you get that, "Ahh, this place is so nice. I love this resort and my room, and I'm really glad to be here."........OR........."Hmmmmm, the resort is okay, but my room and the buildings are kind of motelish."?:confused3

There is NO WAY POR is "motelish". Why? the grounds are lush, well-landscaped, the property is themed. Name a motel where you can rent surry bikes? there isn't much you can do to a hotel room and not make it look like a hotel room. Double beds, nightstand, tv, armoire, and a bathroom. All hotels have these with varying degrees of luxury. POR and CSR have no private balconies; but the buildings and grounds are altogether lovely to stroll through. Several quiet pools, and a main themed-pool.

Only stayed at CSR but it was ABSOLUTELY not motelish! Definitely a lush, relaxing resort. We all loved it.

Speaking as a self proclaimed Deluxe snob, POR was MUCH nicer than we expected. The grounds were beautiful and the ammenities were nice (Boat to DTD, watercraft rental, bicycle rental, horse drawn carriage rides etc.). My only disappointment was with the double beds in the room (which all mods have) and the short curtains by the AC. But for the price, it was pretty darn nice! :thumbsup2

POR in our opinion is probably the best "bang for your buck" resort on Disney property. That doesn't mean it's better than others or nicer, but for the theming of the grounds, rooms, and main building, great food court, Boatwrights and the free boat to DTD, it's a great deal. We love this resort and have stayed in both AB and the Mansions and really enjoyed both. Nope, not motelish at all, very resortish.

Thank you!

I think both resorts look beautiful in pictures, but after reading the "motelish" reports, I got a little worried. Especially because my MIL can be a bit.....picky.;)

I think the people who thought the moderates were "motelish" thought so because of the exterior hallways of the buildings and having no real closets in the rooms. But really, are those things that big of a deal? I hope my MIL doesn't think so.:goodvibes

My IL's tried POR for the first time in 2006. While MIL didn't think it was terrible (since she really liked the price tag) they definitely preferred AKL in 2007 to get back into Deluxe lodgings (queen beds, inside corridors etc.) Is a standard at AKL or WL doable?

My IL's tried POR for the first time in 2006. While MIL didn't think it was terrible (since she really liked the price tag) they definitely preferred AKL in 2007 to get back into Deluxe lodgings (queen beds, inside corridors etc.) Is a standard at AKL or WL doable?

Yes, we could do a standard at AKL or WL. I received one of those 40% off room codes.

I figured for 7 nights in a moderate with tax would be approx. $720.

7 nights in AKL or WL, standard, with tax would be approx $1060

So we'd be paying about $49 more per night to stay at AKL or WL. But will it be worth it since it seems so many people spend little time in their rooms? I just don't know.:confused3

CSR is a very nice resort and no way feels motelish. Check out some of the beautiful pics on the DIS or buzz's website. At night it is stunning!

Best poo, great transportation that is not shared and awesome food options. :thumbsup2

The CSR is definitely not "motelish." The landscaping and grounds are part of the primary reason we stay there year after year. My DH and I enjoy walking the whole resort looking at all the lovely landscaping (flowers, shrubs, trees, etc.). The Dig Site Pool is great and the buildings are very attractive.

If it were me, I would make the jump to AKL. One of the bigger hassles at POR was the bus service. Too many stops and it shared with POFQ. I loved that AKL had it's own bus and only 1 stop. And as pretty as POR was, it didn't have its own savannah in the middle filled with animals to look at day or night (and there are plenty of places to see the animals so a savannah view really isn't necessary). Plus it was nicer to have the bigger beds (DH is almost 6'4") and I really do prefer a hotel room that opens to a hallway vs. the outside. And AKL is covered, so if it is raining you stay dry the entire time once you get off the bus.

I just reread your original post and see you are going at Christmastime. AKL is BEAUTIFUL at Christmastime. Plus, this really will give the Wow! factor to those who have never been before...

I've stayed at CSR, didn't like it. Not because of the a feeling. I don't care for Southwest style architecture. They have added Rix, which is sure to be a big hit. This way conventioners don't have to go to DTD to party.

I have stayed at POFQ, sister resort to POR, and love it. But if you can swing AKL, I'd go for it.

Nah... they're by no means "motelish"... but I can see why some people would think that, especially with the exterior hallways and buildings. Many people expect hotels to be one main building (Wilderness Lodge for example) and if it's not, it's more of a "motel". Both resorts are stunning in regards to lanscape and exterior design. You'll soon forget your even in a resort, never mind Disney World!

To us (and I know we're a small percentage) the Moderates are just glorified Values though. We were avid Moderate fans until our stay at ASmu this past September. A fridge, TS, and pool slide don't "justify" the $50+/night difference in price to us anymore.

We'd rather go value or pay the extra bucks for standard at the Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge, which by the way are amazing during the holiday season! Different strokes for different folks of course though!

AKL at those prices?!!! I've stayed at both POR and AKL. POR is very beautiful. The landscaping is wonderful. The quiet pools are great. We love breakfast at Boatwright's. The lounge is a nice place to sit and have a drink and just relax. Boat ride to DTD and bike and boat rentals are a plus. The walks around that resort are wonderful. Quiet and so pretty. However....
AKL is just a great place ! So different than any other resort. We stayed savanna view. Loved it! Staying at AKL at WDW is like having 2 vacations
in 1 !
The food there is sooo different and delicious. The pool is great. The lobby is beautiful! Pictures do not do this resort justice. Best of all is the African wildlife. Young and old really will enjoy this. I mean, where else can you sit on your resort balcony and watch giraffe's and zebra's etc?! There are many viewing area's throughout this resort. Do yourself a favor. At that price try AKL. That's quite a bit cheaper than a moderate would usually cost. It really is a "unique" vacation. The children will love it ! It's a great place to return to after the parks. We're going back and staying at AKV savanna view the end of April and taking our granddaughter for her 1st time. I can't wait!!!!
Good luck in your decision making. ;)

CSR is not motelish at all!! No shared transportation, just beautifully landscaped, peaceful, quiet and romantic!

2afkcae.jpg

eim9ut.jpg

ehybeg.jpg

ea5ytc.jpg

ea5z7l.jpg

eaqyk9.jpg

4c0ve3k.jpg

wb6r04.jpg

Yes, we could do a standard at AKL or WL. I received one of those 40% off room codes.

So we'd be paying about $49 more per night to stay at AKL or WL. But will it be worth it since it seems so many people spend little time in their rooms? I just don't know.:confused3

To me it would definitely be worth it!! Like your MIL I too am quite "picky":laughing: Especially when it comes to Disney resorts. While I'm most probably a 'deluxe snob' I have been known to stay at the moderates ~ but only if absolutely necessary! :rotfl:

Both AKL and WL are wonderful, especially at Christmastime, and for that price difference (and considering your MIL!) I would definitely choose those over a moderate. WL may hit a little "too close to home" since I see you are from Spokane and it's pretty much a PNW theme. We are originally from Seattle and never stayed at WL when visiting then because we wanted something a bit 'different' in resort theming. Now we love to visit there since it feels like *home*.

You would love AKL!! :)

There is NO WAY POR is "motelish". Why? the grounds are lush, well-landscaped, the property is themed. Name a motel where you can rent surry bikes? there isn't much you can do to a hotel room and not make it look like a hotel room. Double beds, nightstand, tv, armoire, and a bathroom. All hotels have these with varying degrees of luxury. POR and CSR have no private balconies; but the buildings and grounds are altogether lovely to stroll through. Several quiet pools, and a main themed-pool.

I agree. I love the landscaping of the moderate resorts and it never feels like "just a another motel" from the outside, but inside the rooms themselves do feel somewhat bland to me. I wish the rooms had more Disney themeing. Tinkerbell borders, or Mickey Mouse shaped phones, anything that would help you to remember that you're on Disney property.:wizard:

Yeah what she said! I feel the same way

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter