How does DVC compare to other TS, especially their resale policies?

katandmouse

Mouseketeer
I’ve heard it said that DVC is not like other timeshares, but that with all the recent changes and the newest resale restriction, it seems to be headed that way. Actually, I’ve said as much myself. But TBH, I don’t have experience with other TS programs to really know. I would appreciate hearing the perspectives of experienced owners to give us some context, and maybe what we might expect.

For those of you who own or are familiar with other points-based timeshare programs, how does DVC compare to them?
  1. Purchase costs, annual dues, and other fees?
  2. What are the resale policies?
  3. Do they charge a fee for resales to use points at other hotels in the same system and/or on an exchange?
  4. How is availability - for resale and for direct owners?
  5. Flexibility?
  6. Ease of use?
  7. How often do they change the rules?
  8. How easy is it to sell/get out if needed?
  9. Do you prefer one TS over the other?
  10. Anything else we should know?
Don’t feel like you have to answer each question; even just an overview/general thoughts would be helpful!

Is there a link somewhere that already shows a comparison of how the different TS programs work?

I’ve heard it said that DVC is not like other timeshares, but that with all the recent changes and the newest resale restriction, it seems to be headed that way. Actually, I’ve said as much myself. But TBH, I don’t have experience with other TS programs to really know. I would appreciate hearing the perspectives of experienced owners to give us some context, and maybe what we might expect.

For those of you who own or are familiar with other points-based timeshare programs, how does DVC compare to them?
  3. Do they charge a fee for resales to use points at other hotels in the same system and/or on an exchange?
  5. Flexibility?
  6. Ease of use?
Don’t feel like you have to answer each question; even just an overview/general thoughts would be helpful!

Is there a link somewhere that already shows a comparison of how the different TS programs work?

There’s a wealth of information in the Timeshare Users Group (TUG) forums at https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php. There’s even a chart comparing the various systems, but beware, it hasn’t been updated for several years: https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/timeshare-system-comparison-chart.html.

I don’t have a lot of answers to your specific questions other than to say that DVC is considered to be among the more expensive TS systems in terms of buyin and MFs. DVC is also rare in that it does retain significant resale value; some of the high-end Marriott and other systems do too but many if not most TS sell for pennies on the dollar and some even have to be given away, with the seller paying closing costs, etc. It’s not unheard of for some sellers to give the buyer a gift card too, in order to get them to take it off their hands!

Some systems treat resale buyers the same as developer buyers; others don’t. Westgate (often called Wastegate on TUG) doesn’t allow resale buyers to book anywhere except where they own, and I learned today that they can’t book until nearly last minute, by which time availability is nil.

There are often exchange fees that must be paid whether exchanging within a system (Wyndham, Marriott) or via exchange company (RCI, Interval International). Some also charge fees for housekeeping (especially if staying less than 7 nights) and other things.

We own a very small number of points in the Shell Vacations Club and two deeded weeks at a resort in Hawaii that we can book up to two years in advance. Both of those trade in RCI, but we can trade our Hawaii weeks in other systems if we want. We use our DVC points to stay at DVC resorts only.

If you really want to learn about other systems, read TUG!

You pay the Disney premium for sure.
  1. What are the resale policies?
Sell whenever you want just like any other real estate, if you bought probably 5+ or 10+ years ago, we are able to make a small profit on the sale.
  1. Do they charge a fee for resales to use points at other hotels in the same system and/or on an exchange?
I've never tried to trade my SSR resale purchase, but I have read that we don't get good value in return since we are the cream of the crop, we are better off renting out our points for cash, then using those funds to rent something.
  1. How is availability - for resale and for direct owners?
No matter how you purchase your DVC points, it's the same website. There is a lot of demand during holidays and certain resorts like Grand California and Beach Club Villas are hard to book in my opinion. Not impossible, but you have to work your magic and be willing to fill in the holes in your vacay.
  1. Flexibility?
hmmmm, I've used DVC website for 7years and only used my points at the 14 resorts. May try to start renting out some points.
  1. Ease of use?
super easy and has gotten better in my opinion over time.
  1. How often do they change the rules?
seems like ever year or 2, but they grandfather based on purchase time, so the recent changes don't effect those of us that bought resale years ago.
  1. How easy is it to sell/get out if needed?
I've never sold, but from what I read, it should be super easy, demand is high
  1. Do you prefer one TS over the other?
Have only owned DVC, but am looking into Hilton and/or Marriott, thus I may rent out some points to try other system.
  1. Anything else we should know?
If you love Disney and you are young in age, make sure you check out the expiration on where you buy, some expire 2042, some later. Also, make sure you read up on the Year over year Maint Fee increases, see the trends etc so you can make the best financial decision for your family. For me, getting towards 50yrs old, so I might not mind buying at Vero Beach for example which expires 2042 and has the highest MF p/point at $9.50 per because I know it will eventually expire and I won't be obligated or have to try to sell it.

5. Flexibility?
  6. Ease of use?

This is a great question and the answer to each item could be long and very detailed. To oversimplify, DVC is the Disney version of a timeshare. In my experience, it's easier to use, more expensive, in higher demand, etc. While some have come out strongly against the resale restrictions, they are nowhere near as draconian as some other timeshare systems. From a functionality standpoint, using your timeshare is exactly the same whether you purchased direct or via resale. In my opinion, DVC is an excellent product; the only issue is that in my mind it is completely overpriced right now. But I'm not sure I would get widespread agreement on that point. :)

Disney timeshares are good for only one thing -- staying at Disney properties. It makes no economic sense to use them for any other purpose. They are expensive to buy and any value you get out of them will be staying in a DVC property over a deluxe hotel property. They are specific timeshare tool for a specific vacation -- staying at Disney.

The rest of the timeshare world is vast and complex. Because you can buy resale timeshares for little money, you can extract a lot of value out of them IF you use them and if IF you understand how to get value out of them.

I get 2-3 weeks of vacations annually out of my timeshare that trades in RCI for about $1500 in fees a year. I paid $250 for my timeshare initially. Getting out would be pretty easy, as I could give it away and not lose much.

Thank you all so much for your replies! I started looking at TUG and wow they have so much good information - and also So Much Info. But so helpful! I just didn't realize the can of worms I was opening. :)

I've been worried about DVC's newest restriction (having bought resale after 1/19) and how it might change DVC going forward, but it seems like maybe we'll all just adjust and figure out the best work arounds, and luckily we have these boards to help.

One of the biggest things I've been wondering about is how badly this restriction might affect availability for everyone going forward. With other TS, is it really difficult to book the resort you want when you want it? I've started reading around on TUG so maybe I'll find the answers there, but there's a lot to sift through.

One of the biggest things I've been wondering about is how badly this restriction might affect availability for everyone going forward. With other TS, is it really difficult to book the resort you want when you want it? I've started reading around on TUG so maybe I'll find the answers there, but there's a lot to sift through.
Every answer you receive to this question will be pure speculation as we have never seen how these new product (L14 resale/all future resort resale) will function in an ecosystem that has historically operated on a bedrock of flexibility.

My guess? Given that even absent these new restrictions, for the last 15 years, 7-month availability has progressively proven more and more challenging to the ownership, the new restrictions will likely not improve that situation, despite the purported reasons Disney has sold for implementing the restrictions in the first place.

We started doing timeshare research last year. While I LOVE the idea of DVC (and the pixie dust definitely got us!), when we really started looking at value-for-dollar, and reality of use over our lifetime, we decided that DVC was not for us. Our Timeshare investment is going to go with another hotel chain, but YMMV.

I've been worried about DVC's newest restriction (having bought resale after 1/19) and how it might change DVC going forward, but it seems like maybe we'll all just adjust and figure out the best work arounds, and luckily we have these boards to help.

Exactly. In our 20+ years of ownership we've been through many changes, and I must say that following DISboards has taught me just about everything I've needed to know in order to adjust!

In general, with other TS it's very much like with DVC: the earlier you book (or start an ongoing search, which can be done with some of the exchange companies) the more likely you'll get what you want. OTOH some systems offer significant discounts on the points cost for last minute bookings e.g. within 60 days of arrival, but what's available is what's left over and isn't necessarily the most desirable. And there are also cash bookings available at significant discounts.

With other TS, is it really difficult to book the resort you want when you want it? I've started reading around on TUG so maybe I'll find the answers there, but there's a lot to sift through.

Depends on what you resort you are looking for. It's funny because I mention this to my wife the other day. With my Hilton (HGVC) ownership, everybody wants Hawaii, and it can be difficult to get what you want at times. But every other locations that HGVC has, it is pretty easy to get, especially Orlando for a WDW trip if DVC is booked up. But with DVC, everybody wants WDW, while I mostly want Aulani, and I find it pretty easy to get something in Aulani that will work, even on short 2-3 months notice, so to me, DVC offers the most flexibility for Hawaii.

Great3

I don't own DVC, I was about to sign a deal this year and have debated for the past few years. With that being said I own Hilton and Worldmark, both resale.

Worldmark has more restrictions and is similar to DVC in that some resorts you cannot book with resale points. This wasnt something I was aware of and I think its why the points were so cheap. I bought it mainly to go to Anaheim as the resort is easier to book into and is close to the park. I have used points for a few stays and it was nice and fun. The other resorts can be hit or miss quality wise, but have enjoyed our stays. Overall its a good value. Its a bit harder to get some locations but you can manage if you book when the window opens. for the price and the maint fee it works well. I am too financial so I calculate every stay and we usually save about 20-40% off prices for similar quality when we use the points. That is just basing it on maint fee's. So we are happy but not super happy with it if you know what I mean.

Hilton is the one I have owned for over 10 years. I really like the quality of the resorts, and they have great locations. The beach resorts have nice beaches and are on the beach. in orlando they are close to both universal, sea world and Disney so its nice to be central. When I was a CP I lived at Chatham and the HGVC resort is right next to it. I drive even when staying on Disney property, I think its a west thing I drive everywhere but NYC and I have tried. I bought Direct and resale with them and actually am treated the same. the only restriction is for elite access which gets you a nifty special key with elite stamped on it and a wristband and a few special discounts. Overall its not really that restrictive so it doesn't feel like a 2 class system. I use our points for work in NYC and at the other resorts. I have been able to get into most of the resorts exactly when I wanted but booking early is key.

I think that time-sharing has ruined me though as I need a 1 bedroom or larger when traveling with anyone else, or bringing the kids along. I like space.

Funny, I actually mentioned to my wife less than two weeks ago that I hate staying in hotels now, even for just a couple of days. Definitely timeshares ruined it for me and my family as well, we became timeshare snobs!!!

Great3

For my family of 5, almost every hotel now requires a second room, better to find a suite and only pay 50% of the second room.

Every answer you receive to this question will be pure speculation as we have never seen how these new product (L14 resale/all future resort resale) will function in an ecosystem that has historically operated on a bedrock of flexibility.

My guess? Given that even absent these new restrictions, for the last 15 years, 7-month availability has progressively proven more and more challenging to the ownership, the new restrictions will likely not improve that situation, despite the purported reasons Disney has sold for implementing the restrictions in the first place.
True. So many factors, ugh.

Depends on what you resort you are looking for. It's funny because I mention this to my wife the other day. With my Hilton (HGVC) ownership, everybody wants Hawaii, and it can be difficult to get what you want at times. But every other locations that HGVC has, it is pretty easy to get, especially Orlando for a WDW trip if DVC is booked up. But with DVC, everybody wants WDW, while I mostly want Aulani, and I find it pretty easy to get something in Aulani that will work, even on short 2-3 months notice, so to me, DVC offers the most flexibility for Hawaii.

Great3
I don't own DVC, I was about to sign a deal this year and have debated for the past few years. With that being said I own Hilton and Worldmark, both resale.

Worldmark has more restrictions and is similar to DVC in that some resorts you cannot book with resale points. This wasnt something I was aware of and I think its why the points were so cheap. I bought it mainly to go to Anaheim as the resort is easier to book into and is close to the park. I have used points for a few stays and it was nice and fun. The other resorts can be hit or miss quality wise, but have enjoyed our stays. Overall its a good value. Its a bit harder to get some locations but you can manage if you book when the window opens. for the price and the maint fee it works well. I am too financial so I calculate every stay and we usually save about 20-40% off prices for similar quality when we use the points. That is just basing it on maint fee's. So we are happy but not super happy with it if you know what I mean.

Hilton is the one I have owned for over 10 years. I really like the quality of the resorts, and they have great locations. The beach resorts have nice beaches and are on the beach. in orlando they are close to both universal, sea world and Disney so its nice to be central. When I was a CP I lived at Chatham and the HGVC resort is right next to it. I drive even when staying on Disney property, I think its a west thing I drive everywhere but NYC and I have tried. I bought Direct and resale with them and actually am treated the same. the only restriction is for elite access which gets you a nifty special key with elite stamped on it and a wristband and a few special discounts. Overall its not really that restrictive so it doesn't feel like a 2 class system. I use our points for work in NYC and at the other resorts. I have been able to get into most of the resorts exactly when I wanted but booking early is key.

I think that time-sharing has ruined me though as I need a 1 bedroom or larger when traveling with anyone else, or bringing the kids along. I like space.
So interesting, thanks for sharing your experiences!

I have to laugh bc we’re 1 and 2-br folks too (and a family of 5). Especially for week+ trips, we really like being able to cook meals for ourselves and spreading out! We’ve usually gone with VRBO, so we are new to TS!

OP is asking a lot of great questions when considering a timeshare. Many of the shady sellers will be evasive in answering those questions (or will try to deflect your questions to something else). Timeshares have such a dubious reputation that some now call their product something else (i.e vacation club, partial ownership, etc.) to try to obscure the fact it is still a timeshare. It is hard for most people to predict what they will want to do on vacation 10-15 yrs from now.

Our experience was mostly with RCI who arranges the exchanges but has nothing to do with actual timeshare sales/ownership. Don't have any Disney experience, but with many other timeshares, they are worth -$0- when you try to dispose of them and are virtually impossible to resell. You are then stuck with an ongoing liability you can't easier get rid of. Basically, it is a pre-paid vacation expense, does NOT appreciate in value and most likely won't be a savings in the long run. You may also have more difficultly trading for a desired vacation week vs. simply reserving a week at a hotel or renting a house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter