How do you pack?

jessg

DIsney we will see you yet again
I plan on taking duffle bags for myself DH and 2 Kids. For my kids how would you go about packing we will be there 8 full days including arrival and departure days we have an early flight in late flight out. Do you pack a set of clothes for each day? Do you do laundry? We will be staying at a value. We have 8 park days. We will be there first week of Dec. What should we pack. We wont be bringing autograph books nor anything like that. But apart from those things what should we bring how should we pack whats the best way to get everything to fit using minimal luggage?

I've never done laundry, but I've never been gone that long.

Last time we put our 20 month olds clothes in a packing cube in my husband's suitcase. I think we packed her at least 2 outfits a day plus PJs because she was 20 months old. Next year she'll be almost 4, but I'm still inclined to pack 2 shirts a day (and my mom will be staying offsite somewhere with a washer/dryer, so I could do laundry if I so chose)

when i went with my 2 yo we stayed in a villa w/ laundry and it was fantastic! i packed him 2 outfits a day in a gallon sz ziploc for each day and pj's. i believe i actually had 2 outfits for each of our 5 parks days, but the outfit he traveled to FL in was washed and he wore home as well. either way things got dirty and we sweated so much (sept trip) so laundry was a must. i packed for myself 1 outfit per day and some days i had an extra clothes to change into for dinner (we showered a lot cause of the heat)

not sure of the age of your kids but knowing you are staying 8 days, i would tentatively plan on doing laundry on day 5 or 6. do you have a planned non park day?

That really depends on your situation. We always stay offsite and our summer trips have been 17-18 days long. We only bring 4 or 5 outfits total and just do laundry. And by laundry, I don't mean slave over an iron. Just toss it in the wash, then the drier...don't even fold it. Just shorts, t-shirts, bathing suit, etc... If you're there 8 days and have easy access to laundry, I'd suggest 4 simple outfits per person.

Me, wife, two kids age 4 and 7. Same time frame as OP, we leave early on Nov. 30 and leave late on Dec. 7. We get free checked bags so we are bringing three hardside suitcases. One 28" and two 24". In the 28" is my clothes: 5 pairs shorts, three pairs pants, 8 shirts plus other necessities. Also lots of snacks for our resort room, GPS for the rental car, toiletries, meds etc. First of the 24": Wife's clothes, 3 shorts, 3 pants, 10 shirts, one dress, one skirt and three pairs of shoes. Other 24": Clothes for both kids, 5 shorts, 4 pants, 11 shirts, socks, underwear, extra shoes. Wife is insisting we pack Tide Pods "Just in case" we need to do laundry while there.

I always overpack, it really depends on your children's ages. If infant/ toddler....you really need two shirts a day ( just in case.) If they are older....you can pack 2 pairs of pants, a jacket, a short sleeved shirt for each day, and I personally would do 5 pairs of shorts( if it's never cold enough to wear pants they can rewear shorts a couple days. Socks/ underwear for every day. DS is now 11.....so easy to pack for! Me, super easy! DD is23 months.....so hard to pack for😭. On all of her previous trips she still had a bottle, we leave tomorrow...no bottles this time!!! Good luck, and have a great trip ☺️

In Florida “winter” I bring shorts, a pair of pant or jeans, a few short sleeve tops and a sweatshirt or long sleeve shirt to wear at night. We do laundry, and bring things that can be mixed and matched and worn in layers if need be. I try not to overpack and will buy a shirt if I run out. I always end up buying some anyway.

I have 3 kids, ages 5, 3, 2. We travel in one suitcase as a family of 5 plus usually one backpack and my crossbody purse. At Disneyland I did a Kavu bag instead of my crossbody. We can get away with the one suitcase for even 10-12 day trips.

We use packing cubes. Each child gets 1medium cube and then a small cube for smaller items. Each adult usually needs at least one large cube, sometimes a medium too. We don't put coats/sweatshirts and shoes in cubes and if our main suitcase is too full, then those go in the backpack (also helps with keeping things under the 50 lb limit).

I've found this method works pretty much anywhere (Disneyland, international trips, local trips, roadtrips, whatever) because then I don't even "unpack" the cubes but just place them in the drawer and unzip/tuck under the top. When we get to the end of the trip, I transfer anything unworn into one cube and place that cube back into the backpack, and the whole suitcase can be for laundry that needs to be done. If we're only going to be some place for one night at beginning/end of trip or if, for example, I'm concerned about luggage getting lost, I'll put pajamas and a backup outfit for each person into 1 medium sized cube and tuck that cube into the backpack that won't be checked.

When my kids were younger, I did the outfits in plastic ziploc bags method, including sock/hairbow/etc. That worked well for that phase of life too.

We use packing cubes. I pack an extra outfit per person, just in case. Always extra socks and everyone has at least 2 pairs of shoes.

If you need to pack jeans and sweatshirts buy a travel size bottle of Febreze. It's a lifesaver. I refuse to do laundry on vacation!

Since big kid and I went to Cali this summer with no checked luggage we have decided unless we go somewhere cold we will never check luggage again. Was so easy to just get off the plane.
we wear hoodies light jacket and pants in the plane and pack three pairs shorts, four tees and undies etc. I don’t mind throwing in a load of laundry while at the pool .
So I and the two big kids carry carryon rolling bags and I carry a backpack with my purse in it and all important papers. 1 little carries a backpack with both their clothes in it and the other little carries their “busy bag” with snack and iPads and plane stuff.

QUOTE="jessg, post: 61252890, member: 514238"]
I plan on taking duffle bags for myself DH and 2 Kids. For my kids how would you go about packing we will be there 8 full days including arrival and departure days we have an early flight in late flight out. Do you pack a set of clothes for each day? Do you do laundry? We will be staying at a value. We have 8 park days. We will be there first week of Dec. What should we pack. We wont be bringing autograph books nor anything like that. But apart from those things what should we bring how should we pack whats the best way to get everything to fit using minimal luggage?
[/QUOTE]

Honestly I don't pack two outfits for every day for all of us, but I do pack lots of extras because if we go back to the resort to swim, etc...the last thing we want to do is put our sweaty park clothes back on. The only time I needed to do laundry was when our almost 3 year old had a zillion accidents because she was afraid to use the auto flushing toilets. Personally I'm not a fan of doing laundry on vacation but some people don't mind it!

I have 2 kids age 4 and 9. They both have their own suitcase and their own carry on. I use packing cubes to pack everyone's clothes. I put everything we need for the first day (bathing suite, pajamas, extra outfit and toothbrush/toothpaste) plus an extra outfit in our carry-on just in case luggage is lost. I also cross pack clothes so that if one or 2 of the suitcases are lost, each person would still have a couple of things to wear.

I almost always over pack and end up not wearing things and we tend to do laundry half way though the trip. For my kids, for a 1 week trip I bring an outfit for each day plus 4-5 additional outfits, We tend to go in the summer and it can be hot and sweaty so its nice to have something fresh to change into. Since we go in summer we don't usually pack pants or long sleeve shirts or coats, but going in December, you may want to pack some light weight warmers clothes that are easily layered as it can be quote warm during the day, but cool down at night.

My husband and myself share a large suitcase. For the 3 kids, they each have their own carry on size suitcase. All of their clothes for a week usually fit in their own suitcases. I plan 1 outfit per day per kid plus several bathing suits, a few different shoe options, socks, underwear, some warmer clothes just in case (sweatshirt/pants etc.) and usually one fancy outfit each. If I can fit an extra outfit or two, I do. It's helpful that it's Florida so you are most likely packing mostly summer clothes which take up less room. All toiletries go in our bigger suitcase. I typically plan the same way for myself and my husband with 1 outfit per day plus the extras. I also bring a backpack on the plane and fill it with the tablets, chargers, toys, and any spill over items. I am not one to want to do laundry on vacation but if there was a washer/dryer right in the room, I would consider it. Typically in the resorts the laundry is somewhere near the pool and it's $ plus you most likely will have to buy detergent from a machine. Never looks like a fun time when I see people doing it but to each their own!

My kids are flying in February for the first time so that should be a fun adventure. Generally my kids pack their own clothes from a list I give them. We do one outfit per day plus 3 extra per kid just in case. We usually pack 1 pair of long pants and 1 hoodie but we have rarely used them. They each lay out a comfy travel outfit which they will wear on the way to vacation and then usually again on the way home (we feel like between rushed showers, different water, etc we don't really get as clean on vacation so putting the same clothes back on for the ride home doesn't bother us). We don't do laundry on vacation unless we have a 3 year old that chooses that particular week to regress in potty training.

On the same line, can anyone recommend their not too expensive packing cubes? We likely won't fly again for a looooong time but I do need to manage to pack all my kids 'Disney clothing' into my suitcase since they won't know about the trip until we get there.

I usually pack one outfit for each day, and usually an extra shirt and underwear. If it’s spring or fall, I might add a pair of jeans in case it’s cold/rainy and a light hoodie or something that can be used for layering. After years of over packing, I’ve finally learned less is more.

I don't know if you already do this, but we always roll up our clothes. Just make sure they are not wrinkled when rolling them up. This saves a lot of room in the suitcases. I dont' do laundry while at WDW; I do enough at home and it's vacation:)
So I pack enough for the days and 2 extra's. I find I always overpack anyway even doing this. Have a great time!

I overpack. Plenty of clothes for us to wear fresh outfits every day (though my husband and I wear our pants/shorts multiple times). If it's really warm, I want to be able to take a shower and put on a clean shirt. And I am not doing laundry on vacation. It's a vacation for me too, and if I have to stop and do laundry, I'm not enjoying my vacation. (no offense to those who do laundry...I get that some families spend a lot of time at the pool so it's not a big deal to run over and do a load...but I would rather be at the pool relaxing!).

I'm in the 'love to check luggage' school. We need a lot of accesories (almost like having a baby), so I pack three suitcases. I do cross pack so that everyone has a few things in each suitcase in case one gets delayed. We pack three packs of diapers in case something goes wrong (my big girl needs special diapers) and that plus her other needs account for one suitcase. The nice thing about that is that you never bring all of that home, so it leaves a suitcase empty for stuff you buy.

Last time, I carried 4 bags on the plane, and it was awful. Those plus the wheelchair were a nightmare to keep up with and I won't do it again. This time, I'm planning the diaper bag with diapers for 2 days, a small amount of wipes, and a spare outfit for everyone. I have my own diaper bag which has games and all the important papers. Finally, my YDD has a small bag with her toys and things because she likes to be independent.

I always do laundry. I'd rather bring stuff home clean than pack so much that we have to have more suitcases.

Anyway, it's what works for you. If you are at the park from dawn to late at night, you probably won't have time for laundry.

I went to Tokyo for 6 days, with just a carry on. Light is the rule with me. In your case with kids I'd toss that rule out the window. Magical express will take your baggage right to your room no fuss and send it back for you when you leave. Don't waist time doing laundry, pack for rain, pack for cold pack with extra room to take back stuff and have a grand old time.

We use packing cubes. I pack an extra outfit per person, just in case. Always extra socks and everyone has at least 2 pairs of shoes.

If you need to pack jeans and sweatshirts buy a travel size bottle of Febreze. It's a lifesaver. I refuse to do laundry on vacation!
the Febreze tip doesn't work for me as using that would send me to the ER for at least 6 hours. I do the laundry on vacation

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!