How do you feel about glow sticks on dark rides?

Caseheidi

DIS Veteran
We will be at DLR Oct. 14 - 21 and can't wait. This will be DD3 second Disney trip, and she is excited to try everything. She is, however, afraid of the dark. We have purchased glow sticks and bracelets to help her feel better on darker rides, but am curious if these work well? Also, do other patrons get annoyed or distracted by them when they see them? Would hate to annoy other guests.

I've never tried it, but I might steal your idea! That's really smart!

As for annoying other guests, that is a tough one. I wouldn't mind, but I don't know about others. The thing that makes me think it would be OK is that the "dark rides" aren't really all that dark, KWIM? They all have quite a bit of light, and the glow stick isn't that bright. So I'm thinking it would be OK, but I don't know. Hope others will tell us what they think!

You're just talking about a little glow-stick or glow-necklace, etc.?

In that case, really doesn't bug me at all. For the Fantasyland dark rides, the cars are spread out enough so that you don't see all that much of the guests in front of or behind you, and even if I did, those things you mentioned certainly don't bug me in the least. In fact, a lot of the rides have neon black-light stuff going on anyway so a little bracelet isn't going to matter in the least.

You would really have to have a flashlight, a camera flash, or an annoying video camera with the light on to detract from the ride!

Anything that can help a young Disney fan feel better and enjoy the ride more is just fine with me!

I thnk that other park goers would give your 3-year old a pass. They sell glow-in-the-dark items as soon as the lights come on, and I'm pretty sure people wear those on all the attractions, so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

A couple of years ago, we went on eBay and purchased 1000 glow sticks! Yes, you read that right :lmao: I guess I got carried away. The intent was to use them with DGD, but we ended up (all 3 of us) activating them by the dozens and giving them away. At parades, fireworks, and in line on rides like Indy, POTC, etc. The kids all loved them. And the parents all thanked us profusely for being so kind to their kids. We wore them ourselves on those dark rides, after giving a bunch to kids too. Nobody ever complained; and the only comments we got were complimentary, for being generous with the kids.

So I don't think you'll have any problems at all. But if you're worried, you could think about buying way too many (but maybe not 1000), and help your kids activate them and give them to other kids. Our DGD loved it, and it was a great lesson in sharing.

HTH,
Bob

Honestly, I don't think a glowstick will provide you daughter much comfort. The benefit of having a "light" is that it makes the dark go away. Lightsticks won't do that. A doll would probably provide better comfort for her. Small World is a great ride to get her familiar and comfortable with dark rides, then try to work your way up. Our youngest wasn't comfortable until she was 4. Even then it took some courage for her. It's possible you may have to skip those rides if they're too scary.

If you still want to try the glowstick, maybe keep it in her lap so it's less distracting to other riders. :goodvibes

Small World is a great ride to get her familiar and comfortable with dark rides, then try to work your way up. Our youngest wasn't comfortable until she was 4. Even then it took some courage for her. It's possible you may have to skip those rides if they're too scary.

If you still want to try the glowstick, maybe keep it in her lap so it's less distracting to other riders. :goodvibes

This is great advice. I would either wait until the last, or not go on these rides at all because they are very scary for a small child: Snow Whites Adventures, Pinocchio, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Pirates, Haunted Mansion (unless it's the Nightmare Before Christmas version).

I would probably go in this order: Disneyland: it's a Small World, Peter Pan, maybe Alice in Wonderland, then DCA: Ariel's Undersea Adventure, Monsters Inc, then back to Disneyland for the others, leaving Pinocchio and then Snow White for last.

My cousins made the mistake of taking their young child on Snow White because it was a short line, and she refused to even try other dark rides.

I was in Disney with my cousin, his girlfriend and her daughter who was 3 at the time and they did the exact same thing. They gave her the glowsticks on all the dark rides she felt comfort having her own light and did every ride in the park. No one ever complained or had anything negative to say and I shared the idea with many other parents planning their trips and they used the idea and never had a problem.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the input. I feel better, and am afraid I have already purchased too many! Lol I like the sharing idea. I found tubes of 15 bracelets for $1 at target plus some glow wands at the dollar store. I really think it will help as she already was willing to walk into a dark room wearing one.

Also, thanks for the ride order. We had thought of this, but had not found a list of what to ride first. We have been showing her YouTube videos of the rides to help prepare her, so hopefully that will help as well.

This is great advice. I would either wait until the last, or not go on these rides at all because they are very scary for a small child: Snow Whites Adventures, Pinocchio, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Pirates, Haunted Mansion (unless it's the Nightmare Before Christmas version).

I would probably go in this order: Disneyland: it's a Small World, Peter Pan, maybe Alice in Wonderland, then DCA: Ariel's Undersea Adventure, Monsters Inc, then back to Disneyland for the others, leaving Pinocchio and then Snow White for last.

My cousins made the mistake of taking their young child on Snow White because it was a short line, and she refused to even try other dark rides.

The only two rides on your list where the glow stick might annoy other guests are the Haunted Mansion and Pirates. For the most part in the HM, other guests probably wouldn't notice it, but in the sequence where you go around Madame Leota, you see the other cars across from you in the room and the glow stick might stand out. In the Pirates, it might be distracting to your boat mates, depending on where she sits and what she does with the glow stick. In the Fantasyland rides, I agree, the rides go so fast and probably wouldn't even notice it.

Snow White is scary! For "dark rides", Peter Pan is probably the best place to start. It doesn't seem that scary (except perhaps where Hook is in the Croc's mouth) and you get to "fly!"

I have absolutely ZERO issue with parents giving their children glow sticks/necklaces/bracelets on dark rides to comfort them. I don't find it distracting or discourteous in the least and don't feel it detracts from the atmosphere or experience on those rides whatsoever! :goodvibes

Now... guests (jerks) who use flash photography on dark rides are another story... they have no clue how close they come to causing me to do something rash and violent which would most certainly result in their untimely demise! :furious:

Of course, whether the glow sticks will actually WORK as a comfort object is an entirely different story... LOL. Our oldest just turned 5 and he is NOT a fan of 95% of the dark rides. They're just not his cup of tea. If he has his Pooh Bear (comfort object) and we whisper quietly and reassuringly and hold him tight and feed him little treats like fruit snacks he does ok. He still buries his head through the entirety of Snow White and Mr. Toad but at least he's quiet and not being traumatized and everyone can enjoy the ride. Parents who force upset kiddies onto dark rides (who then proceed to whimper and cry thru the whole thing, ruining it for EVERYONE) frost me. They don't give a fig for anyone's experience but their own. It's inconsiderate! :mad:

The first time I ever rode Indy, I witnessed a crying girl (looked to be about 7-8) being dragged onto the ride by her mom and older sister. Then a CM directed me to their vehicle. I had to decline and ask for a different one. Not to say I didn't feel bad for the child, I did. I thought it was cruel of her family to force her onto something she was CLEARLY afraid of. That's not what Disneyland is about! But I still wasn't going to listen to that noise.

OK, with so much support, I'm totally stealing this idea.

And for the record, Snow White is probably the most terrifying ride in the history of the universe. I would avoid it like the plague with small kids. I rode it for the first time in years last Halloween because our friends wanted to go (I usually don't spend much time in Fantasyland). DD3 rode with our friends, and she was pretty shaken, but I was really surprised how scared I was! I screamed out loud at the part where the queen is looking in the mirror and then she turns around and she's the witch. So if it can make a 30 year old woman scream, and her 30 year old husband jump out of his seat (though he'll deny it to his dying day ;)) I don't think it's good for kids! We won't be riding this year!

Now POTC, HM, etc. are all great, and we'll totally be hitting those up!

We almost always have glow sticks, they are great! :) But we normally cover them when we go on dark rides, by pulling our sweatshirt sleeves over our arms or tucking the necklaces into our sweatshirts. A few times we've removed them completely. No one has said anything and the glow from a glow stick is usually pretty dim so I can't imagine them bothering anyone. What is much more bothersome is flash photography going off all around you or the flashing necklaces they sell in the parks, both are much much brighter then your standard glow stick. :)

MagicMomma1 said:
I have absolutely ZERO issue with parents giving their children glow sticks/necklaces/bracelets on dark rides to comfort them. I don't find it distracting or discourteous in the least and don't feel it detracts from the atmosphere or experience on those rides whatsoever! :goodvibes

Now... guests (jerks) who use flash photography on dark rides are another story... they have no clue how close they come to causing me to do something rash and violent which would most certainly result in their untimely demise! :furious:

Of course, whether the glow sticks will actually WORK as a comfort object is an entirely different story... LOL. Our oldest just turned 5 and he is NOT a fan of 95% of the dark rides. They're just not his cup of tea. If he has his Pooh Bear (comfort object) and we whisper quietly and reassuringly and hold him tight and feed him little treats like fruit snacks he does ok. He still buries his head through the entirety of Snow White and Mr. Toad but at least he's quiet and not being traumatized and everyone can enjoy the ride. Parents who force upset kiddies onto dark rides (who then proceed to whimper and cry thru the whole thing, ruining it for EVERYONE) frost me. They don't give a fig for anyone's experience but their own. It's inconsiderate! :mad:

The first time I ever rode Indy, I witnessed a crying girl (looked to be about 7-8) being dragged onto the ride by her mom and older sister. Then a CM directed me to their vehicle. I had to decline and ask for a different one. Not to say I didn't feel bad for the child, I did. I thought it was cruel of her family to force her onto something she was CLEARLY afraid of. That's not what Disneyland is about! But I still wasn't going to listen to that noise.

This reminds me of watching a man carry a terrified, screaming child who could not yet be 5 onto ToT. Why do people do that to young kids?

So, off topic, does anyone worry about the seats on Peter Pan. It has been a long time since I have ridden, but my memory just has a lap bar. My DH and I are Pooh Bear shaped, and DD quite small. I have this irrational fear of her slipping off the seat and falling onto London! Please tell me I am being stupid!

We will be at DLR Oct. 14 - 21 and can't wait. This will be DD3 second Disney trip, and she is excited to try everything. She is, however, afraid of the dark. We have purchased glow sticks and bracelets to help her feel better on darker rides, but am curious if these work well? Also, do other patrons get annoyed or distracted by them when they see them? Would hate to annoy other guests.

I guess I am the grumpy exception, I hate glowing things on rides. The worst though, are the toys that light up and spin around. Sorry, but I want to ride dark rides, in the DARK. It is almost as bad as guests taking flash photos, maybe even worse, because it will last the whole ride.

That said, I GET it, my kids were afraid of really dark rides when they were young, too. If it was on their lap, it would be fine. The twirling toys and light sabers, glowing swords, certainly do not stay on the laps. Small 6" type glow sticks would be much much better. And I think they might comfort some kids.

We just tried to avoid dark rides, but that is hard to do. :wizard:

This reminds me of watching a man carry a terrified, screaming child who could not yet be 5 onto ToT. Why do people do that to young kids?

So, off topic, does anyone worry about the seats on Peter Pan. It has been a long time since I have ridden, but my memory just has a lap bar. My DH and I are Pooh Bear shaped, and DD quite small. I have this irrational fear of her slipping off the seat and falling onto London! Please tell me I am being stupid!

My theory is because they aren't there for the kids, they're there for themselves and don't care what the kid wants/doesn't want to do! They're going to ride the rides THEY want to ride and no gosh-darn kid is going to rain on THEIR parade.

If I took my son, who as I previously mentioned is (just) 5 and already 45" tall on TOT... He'd wet himself. I'm not kidding. I do believe he'd need intensive therapy for the rest of his life. I know he's not ready for Splash... heck, he's ridden BTMRR once and was a trooper but refuses to ride it again. I'm not going to push him... much less torture him! And that's what it is when parents do that kind of stuff. Maybe they don't think it's a big deal. Maybe they even find it humorous. But it really is damaging. Wait 'til the children are ready, for crying out loud. :(

Re: Peter Pan. Your memory of it just being a lap bar is correct. I don't THINK you should have issues... DH (who's a very avg size guy) and I (I'm Pooh sized since the birth of my kids, slightly over 200) fit with our 2 DH's. It's a bit of a squeeze but we haven't lost one yet! Just hold onto her when you take that little dip over London Town! :goodvibes

Glow sticks are great on the Fantasyland type rides. We too take lots to hand out!

Glow sticks on rides like HM and Pirates are a big no, no to me.

I like the idea from the pp who said that they take the glow sticks and cover them with their sleeves on dark rides. While I totally understand children being afraid of dark rides, personally, I find the glowing/flashing things distracting at best and medically problematic at worst (the flashing, blinking things can trigger a migraine). And on Haunted Mansion the glowing things reflect and ruin the effect in the ballroom scene.
Someone on another board mentioned giving a child a baggie of "pixie dust" that protects them on dark rides. As long as the child holds tightly onto the baggie, nothing bad will happen. I thought that was a cute idea.

IMHO...glow necklaces/bracelets like you find at the dollar store, as well as the personal size glow sticks (not more than 6" in length) are totally acceptable on dark rides...as long as the kid is simply holding/wearing them and isn't swinging them around, etc. We don't allow our kids to have the lights or noises running on any of their toys on any of the rides...but seeing small children holding a glowstick in their lap or wearing a classic (read: low light) glow necklace or bracelet wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

The spinny light-up toys, lighted light sabers, brightly flashing necklaces, etc., I feel, are not acceptable. They're just too bright, and too distracting to other guests.

We bought AP's when our 3rd child was five months old. She went on all the dark rides, and the only places she acted uncomfortable were in HM when the elevator room goes dark and the screaming starts...and that tunnel in POTC (which used to be basically pitch black - this was more than 10 years ago). So, my husband would simply hit the button on his watch so that his watch light would come on (it wasn't anything obnoxious), and she would get a big grin because to her, it was like this game she played with her Daddy. He just kept his arm low, or kind of tucked against his stomach so that the light wasn't really noticeable to anyone else. It worked perfectly for us. We were there on a weekly basis until she was about 2, and I think he used the watch light for her until she was about 18 months old. After that, she was used to all the rides, lol.

All of that said....I could not BELIEVE the level of consistent inconsideration on the dark rides during our last visit (8 days in May). People were snapping SOOO many flash pictures (seriously...one guy snapped photos all the freaking way around Madame Leota's table - I wanted to strangle him, needless to say), and screaming all the time....and these were adults in their 30's and 40's....they behaved far worse than any kids with glowing things that we saw there. So, I mean....if 80% of the people in your POTC boat are talking at the tops of their voices, screaming in the dark areas, and flashing a gazillion photos....who gives a flying leap what they think of your kid's glow stick, anyway? Hopefully you'll land in groups of far less rude people, but I'm just sayin'.

Regarding the OP thread title ....... :faint:

Translation.... please do not wear those darn things on the dark rides, thank you!

~~ I love you Phil and you will forever be with me! Forever my very best and most special friend! I love you to no end. ~~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter