How do you bounce back after a bad experience?

alisonleigh21

Earning My Ears
We visit DL about once a year (sometimes more) and love it here. We are halfway through our current trip, which started off amazing. We had a really rough experience and set of circumstances this evening that left me shook up and in tears, my daughter upset, and my husband saying he never wants to come back. We spent a lot of money to be here and I want my daughter’s bday trip to be as wonderful as possible. But I’m burnt out, upset, and kind of want to give up and go home.

If you’ve had a bad experience at the parks, how do you bounce back and not let it ruin your trip? I don’t want this to be how I remember things.

I think that sometimes we put too much pressure on ourselves to have the perfect holiday, particularly when celebrating something special. Sometimes life is going to throw curveballs, we will encounter bad service or a rude guest, yuck meal etc. Try not to see anything as a personal attack or an issue personal to you. Sometimes I find that a good rant and vent helps…it gets the upset or anger and frustration out of the system. I hope that your day gets better.

Nearly every time I go to Disney I end up with a cold or stomach bug but I still want to go back! But my family also had a really bad trip once that we still complain about nearly 15 years later. I try to remember the reasons I love going to Disney, the feeling I get being in Main Street or riding my favorite rides, getting to experience something new, and the abundance of smiles (even if there are also bad attitudes around too!). Bad things can happen on any trip, which I think sometimes we forget. I’m sorry your trip has turned sour but I hope you get to enjoy some of the remaining moments together. Take some fun photopass photos and get your favorite snacks—that always cheers me up.

Was it Disney/park/cast member/ride related experiences or other guest/weather/illness etc. type of experiences? I’m guessing the first (or at least a combo) based on your husband’s comment. Those are hard to come back from, especially if there were more than one contributing. :(

You still have time left in your trip, I think you should put a pin on the bad experience for now and come back to it after to see if the experience was really as bad as you felt at first. I find that in the moment when something goes wrong it makes me very upset and a few days later I realize it really wasn't that big of a deal.

If I was in the Disneyland area right now and not in the mood to visit the parks, I'd probably go to GardenWalk to do things like try a cup of Taiwanese tea at Yiya Formosa, watch Super Mario Bros. at the AMC, etc. Or if the hotel I was staying at had some activities or a nice pool, I'd spend some time there.

If you already have tickets for today, it can feel like you have to maximize your time in the park but doing less or doing different things than you normally do can sometimes make for a nicer day. For example, if something about the rides are stressing you out, maybe Animation Academy at DCA or the Fantasy Faire shows at Disneyland can be a nice change of pace.

I hope things improve for you.

I think there have always been some issues that are very scary.
Something happened to us that escalated and security had to intervene . They let us know they were going to follow us out of the theme park too when they threatened one of us .
I think the crowding and price and just simple accidental bump can become escalated.
I think I became aware of this when Indiana Jones opened at DL and things must have happened inside that long interior Q because standing in line Changed … Thank goodness for virtual Q for many reasons including security issues.
I am sorry this happened and it does sound serious and probably not any amount of Magic can repair.
When the above happened to our family we were Thankful we were staying on property . No way would I have wanted to go to Garden Walk. I’m from the Midwest and do Not understand the aggressiveness everywhere especially driving .

Last edited:
We visit DL about once a year (sometimes more) and love it here. We are halfway through our current trip, which started off amazing. We had a really rough experience and set of circumstances this evening that left me shook up and in tears, my daughter upset, and my husband saying he never wants to come back. We spent a lot of money to be here and I want my daughter’s bday trip to be as wonderful as possible. But I’m burnt out, upset, and kind of want to give up and go home.

If you’ve had a bad experience at the parks, how do you bounce back and not let it ruin your trip? I don’t want this to be how I remember things.
I would go to Disneyland Guest services at the park in City Hall and tell them what happened and see if Disney can make it right.
Or if you are staying at a resort hotel go to the front desk - guest services and tell them.
I have complained about bad experiences and Disney has always tried to remedy the situations.
Good luck.

I was there the end of March (solo) and it was a less than 'stellar' experience due to a combination of factors, including an unpleasant encounter with another guest (no CM intervention needed) challenging my 'right' to use an ECV because 'they couldn't see why I needed it' (and that's a quote). I left at the end of the day disappointed and disheartened.

So I sat and went back over the day to see what went 'wrong' and to see what I could learn from it, and also to pick out the great things that had happened that day. In the end, I decided I'm not writing off DLR, but I won't be going solo again. And I that people who challenge or make remarks on other people's needs are ignorant and classless.

So my advice is to just sit and think quietly about your bad day, decide if there's anything you want to do differently (not suggesting you did anything wrong at all!!) and pick out the wonderful things that happened that day.

Without knowing the context of your bad experience, here are a few things that help us when things go wrong on vacation.

*If the experience can be improved by giving constructive feedback, we will call or speak with someone in person who can help. I received a DLR survey from my last visit and it specifically asked if I had given RT feedback.

* Slow down and think about what’s the most meaningful activity you want to accomplish. I find my vacations these days are much more fun as I keep the agenda simple. Ask your daughter what three things would be her favorite for today and do those with gusto!

Hoping you find some magic for the remainder of your vacation. Y’all deserve it!

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. I'd take today to relax and regroup. Sleep in, use the pools, have a nice lunch. Go back to the parks later today with a plan just to walk around and enjoy the atmosphere with no pressure to do what you "Must" do. It's also ok to take a whole day off from the parks if you think that would help.

One year I had such a rotten experience on our first night that I couldn't even sleep and was miserable. I tried to remind myself that I'd been planning the trip for ages and one bad experience didn't have to overshadow the rest of the trip. I ended up having a great time, but I still remember being upset AND feeling like I shouldn't be upset—I was at Disneyland! But feelings are feelings and it's good to acknowledge them and then move on if possible.

I hope the CMs can help and that the rest of your trip is better.

@alisonleigh21 , so sorry for the rough patch in your trip! I hope you are able to put it behind you and enjoy the remainder of your trip.

To your question of how do we bounce back after a bad experience ... here is my $0.02:
  • Sometimes I just simply leave. I take "control" of my options and vote with my feet. Granted, things have to be pretty bad -- truly beyond near term repair. The end result is a strange feeling of incredible personal power: I didn't succumb, I left. // This is not a tactic I take lightly or use often ... but there have been those moments.
  • Sometimes I will seek help / resolution. But I don't like either confrontation or drama ... so, again, this isn't often my approach.
  • Most often, I/we will resort to a "known WIN." Without leaving the parks/hotel/vacation -- we'll simply review our game strategy book and pull out a winning plan. We have one particular ride that rarely fails to put a smile on our faces and often "delights us" in a super big way. If the day gets rough, we'll look at one another and say, "Single rider line at Smugglers??" It is an easy win for us and often gets us back on track. A visit to Starbucks is, depending on the time of day, is a similar strategy.
  • Other techniques:
    • Retreat the hotel (cut the day short) and refresh for a bit. Decompress in the pool, if things are quiet.
    • Indulge in "better than normal dining." (Again, it takes us out of the crowds and becomes a "retreat" of sorts.)
    • Focus on pin trading for an hour. (Intentionally engage in gentle, uplifting conversation with CMs.)
    • Help someone else. (I feel better after I've helped someone else who seemed stuck ... or could offer children and smaller adults a better view of a parade by inviting them in front of me.)
    • Grab a mobile dining order ... and carry it to Tom Sawyer Island. There are plenty of quiet spots there to both enjoy the food and to people-watch from a distance.
    • SMILE at the other guests. (Do this often.). SMILE at every CM you see ... maybe wave if they think nobody is seeing them in their daily routine.
Again, so sorry to read of your difficult encounter. I am *smiling* at you in compassionate understanding! I sincerely hope the rest of the trip finds joy and ends with sweetness.

Replace the bad with something really good. That may not be possible immediately, but it's the best solution I've found for those times when things go dramatically south.

You've gotten many great suggestions already. Maybe think of a way to make someone else's day; in my experience it's a great way to lift my own spirits.

I was there the end of March (solo) and it was a less than 'stellar' experience due to a combination of factors, including an unpleasant encounter with another guest (no CM intervention needed) challenging my 'right' to use an ECV because 'they couldn't see why I needed it' (and that's a quote). I left at the end of the day disappointed and disheartened.

So I sat and went back over the day to see what went 'wrong' and to see what I could learn from it, and also to pick out the great things that had happened that day. In the end, I decided I'm not writing off DLR, but I won't be going solo again. And I that people who challenge or make remarks on other people's needs are ignorant and classless.

So my advice is to just sit and think quietly about your bad day, decide if there's anything you want to do differently (not suggesting you did anything wrong at all!!) and pick out the wonderful things that happened that day.
I just want to say that you sound like such a nice person : )

Replace the bad with something really good. That may not be possible immediately, but it's the best solution I've found for those times when things go dramatically south.

You've gotten many great suggestions already. Maybe think of a way to make someone else's day; in my experience it's a great way to lift my own spirits.
I agree with this, too! Trying to do a good deed or two always seems to lift my mood!!

I agree with all the advice here, and if you do "rant" to City Hall/Guest Services remember they are human too. Many guests will go in screaming attacking the hourly Cast Member who literally had nothing to do with bad experience.

We're all adults and have a right to voice concerns without raising voice or letting emotions take over.

What happened? Sometimes all it takes to feel better is to vent it out and let others commiserate or offer advice if some similar happened to them.

I always try to remember that EVERYONE has bad days now and then. Disneyland also sometimes has a bad day, in the sense that it seems like nothing goes right. Been there, done that. Have the t shirt. I still love the place and have had WAY more great days there than not, so I try and be like Dory and "just keep swimming."

I just want to say that you sound like such a nice person : )
Oh gosh, thanks! I try to be. But I'll give any credit for it to my parents. Both of them were wonderful people who raised us to believe in the Golden Rule and that we get what we give. And that there is always happiness to be found, sometimes we just have to look a little harder to find it!

Really amazed by all the caring messages sent your way. This is an amazing community.
Please update us on how the rest of your trip went. Really hoping that one of these messages resonated with your current situation. Thinking of you and your family and wishing you the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter