• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Do People Get Such Cheap Flights?!?!

ashresiren

Mouseketeer
My sister just moved to a suburb outside Cleveland, and my mother and I would like to visit her a few times per year. However, gas prices have gotten so high that it seems impossible (not to mention the nearly 6 hour drive). I'm always hearing people say that they get flights to Chicago, New York, and other big cities for $70 to $100, but when I checked on a flight to cleveland it was $336! I tried priceline, but they rejected every offer I made. Any tips for cheap flights?

I am flying out of Indianapolis,49.00 one way to Orlando. I just went to the airlines site and found that rate. I also signed up on Travelocity to be informed of any decrease in prices. Check different sites daily and I also tried different days that i was willing to travel. Good luck.

try flying into CAK (Akron/Canton) airport instead. A lot of times it's much cheaper to fly into CAK then CLE. Akron/Canton is about 1 hour from Cleveland.

flying from chicago to orlando end of the Sept round trip on united for 62.00
you must be flexable and check rates everyday on all airline sites from your city to connecting city
sign up for e-mails too remember when you book on priceline or orbitz or any of those travel sites they charge a fee of at least $10

Being flexible with your dates and times is key. The cheaper fares sell out quickly for the most popular days (Fri.-Mon. for resort destinations, Mon.-Fri. for business destinations) and the most convenient times.

Try using SideStep.com to search for cheap airfares. Then check the individual airline's website for better deals.

Be flexible as to the airports that you use. I remember seeing a better fare out of Atlantic City Airport to MCO via USAir that connected in Philly. The same flight from Philly was almost $80 pp more.

If SWA is an option, download DING! and watch for bargain airfares between your two airports.

However, if you're flying from a smaller airport, you might be stuck. There may not be that many flights or carriers available for the route that you want to take or you might end up taking a very circuitous route with multiple connections to get there.

Does SW fly near you? If so look for DING fairs. A friend and I just got one to go to CA for our conference in Dec. for 212 incl. all fees RT. :teeth:

Try the "off beat" airlines in your area. We are using USA3000 out of Philly this year for a great rate. I've seen nice rates on SouthWest, but I get nervous waiting for their rates to publish (usually only 2-3 months in advance).

There is Allegiant (spelling) and Hooters Air (funny as I think that is). You can check your airport's web site to see what airlines are available. Most of these airlines will not show up on Orbitz, Priceline, etc.

Good luck!

Southwest flies into Cleveland, I'd look there first.

Since we're 90 minutes or so away from Chicago Midway, I've been saving a bunch on Southwest Airlines by using DING. Example: Midway to Manchester, NH $51 each way. Driving would cost 4 times that!

For our trip to WDW in January DW read that Allegiant Air flies non-stop from here (South Bend, IN) to Orlando/Sanford for $59 each way and she jumped on it.

From the Northeast to FL we love PanAm http://www.flyPanAm.com for great rates, great service and comfortable seating. If you want to save big, it takes work or getting lucky. We do better with the work that we do with the lucky.

Honestly, for a six hour drive, I find it more efficient (and predictable) time-wise to just drive. Especially if you have to go to an airport an hour away from home to get a better airfare - then you have to factor in higher transportation costs. Don't forget the cost of parking at the airport!

If you are flying out of Memphis (Northwest Hub), you won't be getting any of those deals either.

No Southwest, no Jet Blue=no flying for me :moped:

Where in WV are you from?

The only affordable airport I know of here is in Charleston.

I've flown out of Parkersburg before (I actually live in Williamstown, where the airport is located) but it was reallllly expensive, too.

I drive to PIT for my cheap flights, and it doesn't really seem practical for you to do that just to fly to Cleveland?.. anyway, it all depends on where you're flying out of.
Before Independence closed down I'm pretty sure they were the cheapest airline out of the state.

Although.. Rumor around here in our news has it that Regions Air (who just bought the PKB airport rights or whatnot) might be flying to Cleveland instead of Cincinnati- considering thats the only place they would fly, that shouldn't get to be too expensive!!

I don't know which airport you would be coming in from, but our cheapest flights (I live in a Cleveland suburb) tend to be Continental, because they have a hub here. Whenever I fly Southwest, it takes really long because they fly you to a hub first (usually Chicago, for me). Therefore the 2.5 hour flight to Orlando takes 7-8 hours.

I was wondering the same thing. I am planning a trip out to Orlando from Denver and am pretty flexible but I can't get anything cheaper than $300, last year I paid $225. I am taking the 10 day DCL cruise September 7-17th but can fly out anytime from September 2-6 and depart either September 17th or 18th.....I think Labor day Holiday is screwing me up for cheap prices.

LauraAnn630 said:
Finally found a nice price from Cleveland, Ohio to Orlando!

www.usa3000.com

Let me know what ya think!

After booking my tickets with them a few month ago I read nothing but horror stories about USA3000 because they are a charter. I began to monitor the 3 weekly flights out and into Cleveland from and to Orlando for the past couple of months. None of the flights were cancelled. None of the flights were diverted to other cities to pick up passengers. Even though they usually leave at least a few minutes late they almost alway arrive at their destination a few minutes early. The two flights on 12/21/05 were both late, into Cleveland late by 51 minutes and into Orlando late by 49 minutes. That was the only time thaty they were late in arriving at their destination. Having said that I am now reaching over to nock on wood because we don't fly out of Cleveland until February 15th.

Besides the bad things that I have heard about them I have also heard great things about the service they provide in-flight. A real meal plus a movie. If you are going to book with them don't wait too long, they work the same as AirTran, as they start filling the prices go up. We waited one day too long and the price went up $25.00. We also noticed a price reduction and were given a credit for a flight within the year, probably won't use it but who know.

I'm confused....are you looking for cheap airfare for your sister from Cleveland to Orlando or for you from West Virginia or Chicago to Cleveland to visit your sister?

If it's Cleveland to Orlando, I live in a suburb of Cleveland too and your best bet is either Continental or Southwest. Continental is the ONLY airline that flies non-stop out of Cleveland to Orlando. Southwest doesn't do any non-stop flights, but I've flown them before with just a 1/2 stop in Nashville. You have to watch when booking Southwest though, you can get long layovers with them. Always check the flight departure and arrival times on Southwest. Look for ones that are only 3 to 3 1/2 hours...stay far away from the ones that have you leaving Cleveland at 9am and arriving in Orlando 5, 6 or even 8 hours later! :earseek: Believe me, those are not worth the cheaper price!

It's hard to get much cheaper than $175 R/T Cleveland to Orlando on Continental. $175 is the best I've gotten with them in the last couple years and that is with lots of daily checking. For this May I am using Continental for $198 R/T. For the same dates on Southwest (without using DING) the flights are $288! I don't do USA3000 because they only fly to Orlando on certain days and their layovers are too long. Same with American and I think United. I found a flight with one of them for $143, but it had a plane change and 3 hour layover in Miami! :rolleyes:

What suburb is your sister in? She can also try flying out of Akron or even Erie, PA. If she is on the west side of Cleveland though, Erie isn't really an option.

WaltD4Me said:
I don't do USA3000 because they only fly to Orlando on certain days and their layovers are too long.

USA3000 only has direct flights to Orlando from Cleveland. They are very limited and only fly once a day on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Cheapest flight with a lay over, was USAir this past June. We flew roundtrip with tax and fees for $134.00.

Flying AirTran out of Akron does not appear to be cost savings any longer, I have checked and checked.

Try www.itasoftware.com. They will tell you which flights on major carriers are cheapest for your dates--no charters or Southwest, etc. The more flexible you are with dates, times, airport, the likelier you are to get what you want. I do "Ding" as well, but I am skittish about waiting til 3 months out for Southwest to release their dates. I've had great luck with itasoftware!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter