How do I tell/show Husband & kids that I appreciate all they have given up for me?

debbido71

Excited to Be here Again!!
I’m finally graduating! How do I show/tell my Husband & kids that I appreciate all they’ve done?

Here is my story. I am a 38 year old mom who has been going to college online for the past 2 ½ years. This has involved many hours of homework, time on the computer, whole weekends where I didn’t leave my room & very late nights. My husband of 19 years and my 3 kids ages 16, 11 & 8 have unfortunately had to “pick up the slack” while I have been doing this. Daddy had to take care of evening baths, weekend entertainment, making dinner and laundry days. They have all been so cooperative and encouraging as I worked on getting my bachelor’s degree.

I am graduating next month and they are having a party for me. My question is this… How can I show them how much I appreciate all they have done for me? This is budget related because I was hoping you all would think of something that didn’t cost too much.

We are already taking a much needed vacation 2 weeks after I am done school. It will be a split vacation, Hershey with the whole family for 4 days then 4 days of just my husband and I in WDW.

Does anyone have any crafty or inexpensive ideas to show appreciation to a family that has given up so much for their mommy/wife? I would like it to be something that I can maybe present to them at my graduation party.

Well first off, Congrats ! :cool1:

Secondly, If you plan on framing your diploma you can put a little dedication on it with their names and how they helped you earn it, maybe a little poem that you can write out? I think that's nice and personal.

How about a banner for your party?

"thank you dh and kids"
Maybe add a note for DH and each child. Mention something nice they did to help you out during a "school" moment. Did a child make a sandwich for you? Did child mow the grass/shovel snow while you studied???

It's the little things that mean a lot. Thanks and recognition go a long way!

Congrats!:goodvibes

This might be a little over the top for DH, but for the kids, maybe at the party you could give them their own "Diploma" at the party for all of the work? Kids LOVE getting fancy certificates.

ETA: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

This would be for the ceremony, not the party, but have you thought about decorating the top (flat part) of your graduation cap with a thank you to the family? A lot of grads put "thanks mom and dad". I think the kids would get a kick out of that.

Congrats on your graduation! It is very thoughtful of you to want to recognize your family for their support!

:)

congratulations! Huge Accomplishment!

How about since you have been so busy maybe they would like - a day with mom. I do this with my kids every six months or so. I let them pick what they would like to do with just me and them (individually). They love it. I'm sure that yours would too.

First, huge Congrats to you!!! That is a huge accomplishment & you should feel so proud! I hope to be in your shoes this time next year, I'm 1/2 through. I could write your same post about my family & my kids are similar ages!

How about certificates for dedicated family or best "insert silly title" for the kids & a special cert for DH - most supportive hubby. Could you write a sweet poem of some kind or one using supportive or dedication as the letters to write from - s= super kids for helping mom study - type of stuff? Decorated cake?

Is there something special you could add to your vacation & announce it to them at your party?

I think your vacation is a perfect way to celebrate with all of them!

You guys are the best! These are great ideas. Keep them coming....

I do like the idea of some kind of certificate, etc. for each of them. Maybe with a personal note of some kind that mentions how much I appreciate what they have done for me.

Thanks so much too for all of the congrats. messages. I love the DISboards! Everyone is always so friendly and helpful :goodvibes

Congratulations!

What about putting together a DVD of pictures of all that has happened since you started school. Pcitures of them doing things with & without you, pictures of you studying, etc. At the end you could have a picture of you with a banner saying something like "Thanks for all of your support. I couldn't have done this without you". You could put it to music, maybe a favorite family song.

My classmates and I did this last year when we graduated nursing school. One of the girls had a CriCut and we cut out letters and decorated them with glitter paint. I think technically the school said you're not supposed to put stuff on your hats, but no one actually cared (I was actually up on the stage at one point giving a speech and shaking hands with the Dean in my decorated hat..lol)

It was fun decorating the hats and fun for our families to look down in the arena and see them! This was a great idea, OP!

Secondly, If you plan on framing your diploma you can put a little dedication on it with their names and how they helped you earn it, maybe a little poem that you can write out? I think that's nice and personal.

I like it!

I've noticed that the big thing with diplomas now is to frame them side by side (or top/bottom) with a picture from your alma mater.

Instead of that, you could frame a picture of your family with your diploma, so they know when they see it that you couldn't have done it without them.

And congratulations!

DH really wants to go back to school but when DS was tiny I pitched a big fit (turns out my hemoglobin was near transfusion levels and no one told me ...so that's why I was SO exhausted for SO long), and he's still worried about making me do nearly everything while he works and studies. I've been trying to get him to understand that it's all different now...I think I'll renew my efforts. He would just love to finish up his Bachelors, and I want to help him do it!

Please realize that you have already given your kids the biggest gift of all... a mom who values her education. Your children saw first hand how hard you had to work to get to this point and they will never forget it!

Growing up my dad went back to college and even at seven I vividly remember his graduation. As a single parent working full time I went back to school full time and got my bachelor's degree. DD is ten and just today was talking about attending my graduation and saying how she is excited to do the same.

When I went to my doctoral graduation (where pretty much everyone was an adult with a family), the Dean recognized the families formally. He thanked all of the spouses and children for supporting their graduate, for giving up time with them, for eating take-out, for adjusting budgets to accommodate tuition, etc. Anyway, it was all very true and we, the graduates, stood to give our families a standing ovation. It was very well deserved!

Also, lots of the moms took their kids up with them as they got their diploma (or the kids waited at the bottom of the stairs) and handed them to the children to carry.

Honestly, the letters may be behind my name...but it took the effort of my ENTIRE family (even my young children and my parents) to make it happen! When I think of everything from babysitting to proof reading.....it was a group effort!

Please realize that you have already given your kids the biggest gift of all... a mom who values her education. Your children saw first hand how hard you had to work to get to this point and they will never forget it!

:thumbsup2 Congrats!!!!

my best friend is graduating from college, she did her degree online also. I heard all the stories about studying and stuff like that. My family is taking her family to disney....not exactly budget minded, but it's the time with her and her family that I want the most. Congrats tho, I see what my friend went thru, and I know I couldn't do it!!

Congratulations!!!

I love the idea of giving your family a diploma - it's really sweet and perfect for the occasion. Maybe surprise them with a special meal/dessert or something you now have time to prepare??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter