How common is theft in the parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought my Beco Gemini on our last trip. The times I left it with the stroller, I wrapped the straps around several parts of the stroller and then buckled them together. That way they couldn't casually pick it up and walk away. They would have to noticeably work for it (those buckles can be a PITA to undo). I would think most thieves would move on to easier targets.

It is isn't super common, but it happens. Just because it is Disney and all about "the magic" doesn't mean that all of the guests walk around with pixie dust and happy thoughts in their pockets. It is just as likely to happen on a Disney vacation as it is a Universal vacation, cruise, etc.

I should add that we didn't leave it behind more than a handful of times though. Usually my 8 mo old was in it (on me of course).

In 20 plus years of going to WDW the only thing that I ever had stolen was a bag of marshmallows at Chip and Dale's Campfire Singalong. We set the bag on our bench while we went to roast. Came back 5 minutes later and lo and behold...they were gone.

I'm betting I was Dale

I'm not blind to the world around me, I know even in Disney things can disappear.

I'm bringing a purse for all valuables so it will be with me at all times and hopefully safe.

What I am wondering is I am renting a stroller for my 3year old in case he gets tired. There will be odds and ends stored in said stroller like extra clothes, our refill mugs, sunscreen etc. Nothing we would not survive without if they vanish.

I do also want to bring along my baby carrier for the end of the day when we need to get that sleepy kid onto a bus and he cannot sleep in the stroller. My carriers all have a decent value $$$ wise, but even more so sentimentally. I am a little paranoid it would vanish from the bottom of the stroller at some point.

Am I being realistic and need to think of a different plan, or am I being silly its no more likely to happen than someone taking it out of my car in the driveway?

I've had 6 trips of a week each and never had anything stolen, but it does happen. We rent a locker, its worth it for peace of mind.

Not sure what you mean by a "baby carrier" that would fit a 3 year old and stores inside a stroller or how valuable that item might be to another person.

She means an Ergo or a Beco or something like that. They are upwards of $100. There's no chance I would ever leave it in the stroller. But I used the Ergo in lines (only got it after DS was 2) so he wasn't at butt-level (how unpleasant must that be for children?), so it wasn't being left anywhere. Nor would I have left it anywhere!

Even now if DS starts to leave something somewhere, I ask him if he would leave the money that the item cost just sitting there. Unless we're at home, the answer is always "no".

Many years ago my DH left his camera on the Pirates of Caribbean ride.
We go off and did not notice till we were off the ride.
We came back within a 1/2 hour and someone turned it in to the CM at the PoC
and my DH got his camera back :)
Maybe it was just our luck of honest guests.

I think crime is low, but if you will be stressed about losing something don't bring it.

When you are traveling around the World it's just as easy to forget, drop, break and otherwise lose items as it is to have them stolen.

For example, don't bring your $2,000 MacBook, bring your $50 Amazon tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter