• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How can I help my parents plan a trip?

maramarrie

Mouseketeer
In the last several years my parents have gone with us to Disney a few times, and I do all the planning. We would book a room/villa large enough for all of us. When MDE started, I added them in my account and always make their FP+ and reservations. My family of 4 is traveling later this year and my parents are thinking about coming and meeting up with us for a few days during Food & Wine.

They are currently overwhelmed at all the options and info - what hotel to choose, how to know differences in the hotels, what location to be in, etc. They don't know where they want to stay and don't know how to choose. If my parents create a MDE account and book a room, can I still help them with FP or tickets in my MDE account? I'm assuming that won't work because their reservation would have to be linked in order to plan FP. Or can I link their reservation number and make all their plans in my MDE? I assume I could even make their room reservation in their name on my own MDE.

Also, I usually get a room-only and buy tickets separately through undercover tourist (or have an AP). Is there a benefit to booking them a package (other than ease)? Are they likely to pay more on a package?

I think they'd have to add you to their MDE account like you did for them. I've never heard of linking the two but if you call WDW they could tell you if it's possible. Or you log in as them and do it for them.
As far as a package and more is concerned, it really depends on how they like to vacation. If you get them a package, everything is included and depending on when they go, when you book, you could get free dining or some other package available. So it could work out either way.

In the last several years my parents have gone with us to Disney a few times, and I do all the planning. We would book a room/villa large enough for all of us. When MDE started, I added them in my account and always make their FP+ and reservations. My family of 4 is traveling later this year and my parents are thinking about coming and meeting up with us for a few days during Food & Wine.

They are currently overwhelmed at all the options and info - what hotel to choose, how to know differences in the hotels, what location to be in, etc. They don't know where they want to stay and don't know how to choose. If my parents create a MDE account and book a room, can I still help them with FP or tickets in my MDE account? I'm assuming that won't work because their reservation would have to be linked in order to plan FP. Or can I link their reservation number and make all their plans in my MDE? I assume I could even make their room reservation in their name on my own MDE.

Also, I usually get a room-only and buy tickets separately through undercover tourist (or have an AP). Is there a benefit to booking them a package (other than ease)? Are they likely to pay more on a package?

They can have their own MDE account. But make sure that you are all "Friends & Family" and are able to see shared activities. This way either you or them can make FastPass+ selections for everyone.

No need to do the Friends and Family thing. Just have them give you their user name and password and you can sign in and do everything for them. That is what i did for my inlaws. we compared a package verses UT tickets and the package was more expensive. I would not wait to book their rooms. A lot of the resorts are sold out till Dec.

Last edited:

We tried this and our accounts became a MESS. Somehow, my fil became me. It had me going on the trip. We had to call and a rep had to untangle us all. Originally, we had gone oh a huge family trip all 9 of us (my in laws, us, other kids), and then just my mil and fil went on a subsequent trip a year later so I thought I could do everything for them from my account being that I was the leader of the group of 9 from the prior year. IMO, it’s much easier for your mom to just tell you her username and PW and for you to just logon and do things for her.

As for your other question, unless there’s a package deal (free dining plan, room discount), the tickets won’t be any cheaper as part of a package. You’ll just save the step of adding the serial numbers of the tickets from UT to your acct vs having it all done for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter