• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How can disney sell taken contracts

2 more questions for those of you still awake:

1. Is there any information on which Use Year(s) are the ones taken by Disney the most?
2. Is Disney able to jump ahead and just offer/buy resale contracts without waiting for ROFR?
The data that this site has doesn't show any meaningful use year connection. I'd imagine its it's about replenishing stock more than anything else.
Not sure what you mean, but disney doesn't seek out sellers looking to buy back points, they wait until a contract is sent to them and then choose to exercise their right of first refusal to immediately buy it back or not. If they buy it I'd suspect it is a quicker process since they don't have to get verification from anyone else about what the person actually has available.

So if we were to now purchase a 25-point add on June UY from Disney, it would for certain include 25 points from 2015 that we could immediately bank into 2016 UY?
Yes provided they have the points available. In the past in the final couple of weeks of a particular UY there was a risk they could run out of current UY points.

Is Disney able to jump ahead and just offer/buy resale contracts without waiting for ROFR?
In my years on the DIS, the only resort that Disney offered to buy back was BCV. They offered BCV owners $50-$55 per point at a time when BCV contracts could be easily sold for $95-$100 on the resale market. I can only hope that no member took them up on their offer.

So if we were to now purchase a 25-point add on June UY from Disney, it would for certain include 25 points from 2015 that we could immediately bank into 2016 UY?

It actually depends on the Use Year. If someone buys today (April 11, 2016) and is getting a June, August, September, October, or December Use Year, then they will get points beginning with the 2015 Use Year. Then, when their Use Years starts in 2016, they will get their 2016 allotment of points.

But for people who buy deeds with a February, March, or April Use Year, they will only receive points for their 2016 Use Year. They will not be entitled to an allotment of points for 2015.

In my years on the DIS, the only resort that Disney offered to buy back was BCV. They offered BCV owners $50-$55 per point at a time when BCV contracts could be easily sold for $95-$100 on the resale market. I can only hope that no member took them up on their offer.

Sometime in the last few years (2011?, 2012?), DVD offered a short term promotion in which it offered a direct purchase discount to buyers if they "sold" their points back to DVD and delayed receipt of their first allotment of points. I can't remember the specifics of the offer but it worked like this: In April 2012, a new member buys 160 points at AKV for $120 a point with a June 2011 Use Year. Normally, the buyer would get 160 points right away and would then get 160 points on June 1, 2012. But if the buyer agreed to "give back" their 2011 allotment of points to DVD, DVD would give them a discount or $5 or $10 a point on the purchase price. With this offer, the buyer wouldn't get any points until their 2012 UY, but they would save a few dollars on the purchase price.

Yes. Typically you have to bank 4 months prior to the use year, but they will almost always make an exception for the first year on a new purchase. (That exception is even mentioned in the POS)

It's actually been more than exception for several years. It's in the POS or rule and regulations or some other doc. They added it maybe around 2009 or 2010 I think.

I'm not sure what you mean by "individual building info?" OKW is unique in that most, but not all, OKW Residential Units consist of a single physical building. But that is not true for OKW Buildings 62, 63, or 64, or any of the other DVC resorts.

In the past , I have used the OC Comptrollers Website to look up the VGF "Declaration of Condominium" Documents. When I put in Grand Floridian I got hundreds of entries, but when I put in the page numbers referenced on my deed, I was able to locate them. I was thinking I could do something similar for resales, by searching on "Unit 4B" for example in the legal data along with "VILLAS AT DISNEY S GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT". I haven't had time to play with it yet, but I suspect digging around for resale data will be very difficult. I may get a sample, but am unlikely to get a complete set like you can for direct.

In the past , I have used the OC Comptrollers Website to look up the VGF "Declaration of Condominium" Documents. When I put in Grand Floridian I got hundreds of entries, but when I put in the page numbers referenced on my deed, I was able to locate them. I was thinking I could do something similar for resales, by searching on "Unit 4B" for example in the legal data along with "VILLAS AT DISNEY S GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT". I haven't had time to play with it yet, but I suspect digging around for resale data will be very difficult. I may get a sample, but am unlikely to get a complete set like you can for direct.
I just did a test using "VILLAS AT DISNEY S GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT " in the legal remarks field for the month of March 2016 and found 37 resales. Of course, there could be many more with slightly different wording.

The Unit Number does not add any value to the search, as far as I can see.

Of the 37 transactions in March, 10 of them had the Grantor as Disney, so Disney is active in reselling VGF.

Additionally, Disney was the Grantee in 5 cases, indicating the exercise of ROFR.

37 transactions.
10 sold by disney
5 sold by owner to Disney through ROFR (or possibly through default on payment?)
22 sold by owner to another owner (traditional resale)

Comparing this data to the ROFR thread, 3 units at VGF passed ROFR in Feb, and 2 more in early March, so the ROFR thread captures maybe 10-15% of transactions.

Last edited:
I just did a test using "VILLAS AT DISNEY S GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT " in the legal remarks field for the month of March 2016 and found 37 resales. Of course, there could be many more with slightly different wording.

The Unit Number does not add any value to the search, as far as I can see.

Of the 37 transactions in March, 10 of them had the Grantee as Disney, so Disney is active in reselling VGF.

Additionally, Disney was the Grantee in 5 cases, indicating the exercise of ROFR.

37 transactions.
10 sold by disney
5 sold by owner to Disney through ROFR (or possibly through default on payment?)
22 sold by owner to another owner (traditional resale)

Comparing this data to the ROFR thread, 3 units at VGF passed ROFR in Feb, and 2 more in early March, so the ROFR thread captures maybe 10-15% of transactions.
Your 37 records are a very good cross section of what occurs on OCC for every WDW-based DVC resort.

I replicated your search criteria and got the same 37 records.

None of the deeds reacquired by DVD were due to a ROFR activity. Instead, the five deeds with Disney as the Grantee involved reacquisitions due to foreclosure activity. One involved a judicial foreclosure (Unit 02C); two involved "in lieu of foreclosures" (Units 03B and 04C); and two involved Trustee foreclosures. I've written some articles on the DVCNews that explain the differences between these different types of foreclosures if you are interested in learning more about them.

In March 2016, DVD sold 10 deeds containing 677 points. These deeds are easy to spot because Disney is the Grantor on them.

The five deeds on which Disney foreclosed contained 505 points. The deeds don't show the number of points in each deed, so you have to either (1) find the original deed when it was first sold to the buyer, which should show the number of points; or (2) have a reference file that shows the number of points in each Residential Unit for each DVC resort; you can then compute the number of points by multiplying the Unit's total points by the percentage of real estate interest shown in the legal description of the foreclosure deed.

The remaining 22 deeds are resale transactions or non-gratuitous ownership transfers. The non-gratuitous transfers are fairly easy to distinguish from the gratuitous resales because they will have a Deed Document Tax amount of $0.70. The "Deed Doc Tax" amount is part of the OCC stamp that is on each document, usually in the upper margin, sometimes lower margin, of the first page of the document.

By the way, most resale warranty deeds will show the purchase price in the body of the deed. If it doesn't, then the purchase price can be approximated by looking at the Deed Document Tax. OCC charges $0.70 per $100 value of the property. So if a deed shows a Deed Doc Tax of $140.70, then the property was sold for about $20,100.

Personally, I find this stuff fascinating. When I retired a few years ago, I knew I had to have a hobby to occupy my time. Some people do more worthy things like Habitat for Humanity, tutor inner city children, work for world peace. I crunch numbers from the county records.

Your 37 records are a very good cross section of what occurs on OCC for every WDW-based DVC resort.

None of the deeds reacquired by DVD were due to a ROFR activity. Instead, the five deeds with Disney as the Grantee involved reacquisitions due to foreclosure activity. One involved a judicial foreclosure (Unit 02C); two involved "in lieu of foreclosures" (Units 03B and 04C); and two involved Trustee foreclosures. I've written some articles on the DVCNews that explain the differences between these different types of foreclosures if you are interested in learning more about them.

In March 2016, DVD sold 10 deeds containing 677 points. These deeds are easy to spot because Disney is the Grantor on them.

The five deeds on which Disney foreclosed contained 505 points. The deeds don't show the number of points in each deed, so you have to either (1) find the original deed when it was first sold to the buyer, which should show the number of points; or (2) have a reference file that shows the number of points in each Residential Unit for each DVC resort; you can then compute the number of points by multiplying the Unit's total points by the percentage of real estate interest shown in the legal description of the foreclosure deed.

The remaining 22 deeds are resale transactions or non-gratuitous ownership transfers. The non-gratuitous transfers are fairly easy to distinguish from the gratuitous resales because they will have a Deed Document Tax amount of $0.70. The "Deed Doc Tax" amount is part of the OCC stamp that is on each document, usually in the upper margin, sometimes lower margin, of the first page of the document.

By the way, most resale warranty deeds will show the purchase price in the body of the deed. If it doesn't, then the purchase price can be approximated by looking at the Deed Document Tax. OCC charges $0.70 per $100 value of the property. So if a deed shows a Deed Doc Tax of $140.70, then the property was sold for about $20,100.

Personally, I find this stuff fascinating. When I retired a few years ago, I knew I had to have a hobby to occupy my time. Some people do more worthy things like Habitat for Humanity, tutor inner city children, work for world peace. I crunch numbers from the county records.
Thanks. Very helpful. I noticed that when I searched on "Grand Floridian" instead of "Villas at Disney s Grand Floridian Resort" I got 38 hits.

Yes, very interesting.

Some questions/observations based on those 37 records:

1. Sounds like Disney is selling mostly smaller contracts. 10 deeds containing 677 points means almost exactly one-half being 50-point contracts and one-half 75-pointers (perhaps with some 25 and 100 pointers mixed in). This is a little surprising, especially since VGF points requirements are fairly high.

2. 10 sales in one month, supposedly to people on the waitlist. Does anyone know how many are still on the waitlist? Or how long they've been told they still need to wait?

3. Did Disney reclaim all 505 points from the foreclosures? If so, it sounds like Disney doesn't need to ROFR many contracts at all (which seems to match up with information from the ROFR threads), at least for VGF.

4. So the VGF waitlist is essentially waiting for points from foreclosure (maybe because taking expensive contracts during ROFR doesn't yield enough profit)?

5. If those records do not include ROFR data, is such data available?

Yes, very interesting.

1. Sounds like Disney is selling mostly smaller contracts. 10 deeds containing 677 points means almost exactly one-half being 50-point contracts and one-half 75-pointers (perhaps with some 25 and 100 pointers mixed in). This is a little surprising, especially since VGF points requirements are fairly high.

2. 10 sales in one month, supposedly to people on the waitlist. Does anyone know how many are still on the waitlist? Or how long they've been told they still need to wait?

3. Did Disney reclaim all 505 points from the foreclosures? If so, it sounds like Disney doesn't need to ROFR many contracts at all (which seems to match up with information from the ROFR threads), at least for VGF.

4. So the VGF waitlist is essentially waiting for points from foreclosure (maybe because taking expensive contracts during ROFR doesn't yield enough profit)?

These records would include ROFR, but these this month were not ROFR. Correct me if I am wrong, WDRL, but if it isn't recorded with the County, it didn't happen!

You can tell that these are foreclosures by clicking through to the image of the Deed.

Last edited:
If you drill down, the 10 contracts went to 9 distinct purchasers
  1. 255 points went to 1 purchaser, but was made up of 2 separate deeds of 165 and 90 points in the June Use Year
  2. 90 points
  3. 85 points
  4. 65 points
  5. 57 points
  6. 50 points
  7. 50 points
  8. 30 points
  9. 25 points
I don't fully understand the purchase of 30 points or 25 points, but I assume it is an add-on from an existing member who wants to have home resort advantage once every three years. Or perhaps a single day every now and then.

Pricing varies between $170 and $180 per point. My hypothesis is that Disney charges the same amount per point, but that on small contracts, the closing costs become a meaningful percentage of the costs.

Last edited:
  1. 255 points went to 1 purchaser, but was made up of 2 separate deeds of 165 and 90 points in the June Use Year
  2. 90 points
  3. 85 points
  4. 65 points
  5. 57 points
  6. 50 points
  7. 50 points
  8. 30 points
  9. 25 points
I don't fully understand the purchase of 30 points or 25 points, but I assume it is an add-on from an existing member who wants to have home resort advantage once every three years. Or perhaps a single day every now and then.

Pricing varies between $170 and $180 per point. My hypothesis is that Disney charges the same amount per point, but that on small contracts, the closing costs become a meaningful percentage of the costs.
Thanks for the breakdown. Those are very interesting points requests - 57, 65, 85, 90! Even the 255 is strange to me - why didn't they just sell one contract for 255 points? Disney can break up or combine points as needed, right? Wouldn't the closing costs have been less as well? BTW, how much are direct sales closing costs? Are they similar to broker resales?

One more bit of number crunching:
16 VGF Resales were recorded in March 2016 totaling 2120 points. Average resale contract = 132.5 points
Average price per point $146.7
Weighted average price per point $146.55

Points Price per point
50 139
132 140
220 140
200 141
50 142
110 145
220 145
200 147
40 148
160 148.50
240 150
50 150
50 150
135 150
43 155
220 156

I would explain the variation in pricing (high price is 12% higher than low price) as some buyers having poor market information, and perhaps relying on brokers asking prices for market information.
Also, some may just want the points and not want to risk losing the deal through bargaining.

Or someone who already owns additional VGF points and just needs a few more for an extra day or an upgraded view.

16 VGF Resales were recorded in March 2016 totaling 2120 points. Average resale contract = 132.5 points

Points Price per point
50 139
132 140
220 140
200 141
50 142
110 145
220 145
200 147
40 148
160 148.50
240 150
50 150
50 150
135 150
43 155
220 156

I would explain the variation in pricing (high price is 12% higher than low price) as some buyers having poor market information, and perhaps relying on brokers asking prices for market information.
Also, some may just want the points and not want to risk losing the deal through bargaining.
Interesting, thanks. So, at least for March, resale average is 132 points, and direct purchase average is 67 points. I wonder if this is similar for other DVC resorts? BTW, I thought there were 22 resale deeds, from your earlier post?

Of the 22, 6 were 0$ transactions, such as a person adding their partner to the deed, transferring the deed to a revocable trust, etc.
Thanks. Do you happen to know the VGF direct pricing when they were first offered? And these contracts are only 2 years old (with 48 years remaining), correct?

Thanks. Do you happen to know the VGF direct pricing when they were first offered? And these contracts are only 2 years old (with 48 years remaining), correct?
VGF started direct pre-sales during construction at $145, then went to $150 (again pre-opening). It has since gone up to $155, $160, and $165. May be higher now, but hard to tell with closing costs mixed in. The numbers I just mentioned do not include closing costs.

Yes, very interesting.

1. Seven of the 10 deeds were add-ons; three were new VGF master contracts. As @supersnoop posted, DVC members routinely add on small deeds to supplement the points they already own.

DVC deeds show the contract number of the owner(s) in the upper left hand corner of the deed. New master contracts, meaning the buyer is establishing a new DVC account with this deed, will have a contract number with a suffix of .000, such as 13123456.000. Add on deeds will have a number like .001, which signifies the first add on deed to that DVC account. In this batch of deeds, there is a member who is adding on their first deed (.001) and there is another member who is adding their 24th (.024).

Also (because too much info is never enough), the contract number will tell you where the member bought their master contract. All VGF master contracts start will 13, so if you see a contract number such as 13123456.007, it means that the member is adding on his 7th deed and that his first deed was for VGF. The lead number will tell us which resort is (or was) the buyer's original home resort.

2. Information about waitlists maintained by DVD is unavailable to the public.

3. Yes, DVD reacquired all five deeds that were foreclosed in March 2016. No VGF deeds were ROFRed in March because the spread between the acquisition price DVD would have to pay for the ROFRed deed and the direct sale price was too small.

5. Yes and no. In the past, DVD almost exclusively used a Warranty Deed document to reacquire a deed via ROFR. But starting in late 2015, it appears that DVD started using a Warranty Deed document when it was taking back a deed via the internal foreclosure process. Previously, it always used "Warranty Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure" documents for that process. Thus, it is now very difficult to distinguish a true ROFR transaction from an internal foreclosure buyback.

These records would include ROFR, but these this month were not ROFR. Correct me if I am wrong, WDRL, but if it isn't recorded with the County, it didn't happen!

Since DVC deeds are real estate transactions, they should be recorded with the local county. However, if the local county fails to record a transaction, it doesn't mean that it didn't happen. The parties involved still have legal rights even if the county failed to record a transaction.

2. 90 points
  3. 85 points
  4. 65 points
  5. 57 points
  6. 50 points
  7. 50 points
  8. 30 points
  9. 25 points

See above for identifying which deeds are add-ons and which were new master contracts. The smallest master contract was for 57 points.

Closing costs are not factored into the consideration price. The consideration price, upon which the Deed Document Tax is computed, is based solely on price paid for the property.

Although all ten of these deeds were recorded in March 2016, it doesn't mean that they were actually sold in March 2016. Months ago, a buyer could have agreed to purchase points from DVD when the price was $170 a point, but did not return all the documents and close of the transaction until March 2016, by which time the price had increased to $180. Since the contracted was entered into when the price was $170 a point, then that is what the buyer will pay.

Also, its not surprising that one buyer bought two deeds. This could be because they wanted to break up their purchase into two deeds. Or it could be because DVD did not have 255 points available in a single Residential Unit. Thus, it offered the buyer 165 points from VGF Unit 03B and 90 points from VGF Unit 03E.

Also, we don't know if the resale deeds were stripped or fully loaded, if the buyer or seller was paying closing costs, or if the buyer or seller was paying the maintenance fees. These factors are not reflected in the price paid per point for each of these deeds, but they could influence greatly how much someone was willing to pay for each deed.

Interesting, thanks. So, at least for March, resale average is 132 points, and direct purchase average is 67 points. I wonder if this is similar for other DVC resorts?

Yes, these numbers are similar for other DVC resorts that are labeled as "sold out." I report monthly sales for all DVC resorts except VGC on another site.

VGF started direct pre-sales during construction at $145, then went to $150 (again pre-opening). It has since gone up to $155, $160, and $165. May be higher now, but hard to tell with closing costs mixed in. The numbers I just mentioned do not include closing costs.

VGF is now selling at $180 direct

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter