How bad are masks in July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst heat I experienced was standing in what I call the "idiot line" to talk to a CM @ the DHS director's statue to resolve a ROTR BG issue (my bad). Direct sunlight and it only moved one group at a time. TIP: the little umbrella you are carrying for the PM thunder storms works great for emergency shade.
Oh that’s a good thing to bring an umbrella! I need to write this on my packing list

I agree with this. We were there in Sept/Oct, but had some days with a real feel temp over 100. The mask really didn't make me any more uncomfortable than I would have been without it in that heat.

The only annoying thing was fogging up my sunglasses for a few minutes every time I left air conditioning. Once the glasses warmed up it wasn't a problem.
Oh I hate it when my glasses fog up! I have glasses and it’s irritating!

I saw a great tip on a DFB YouTube video - put your umbrella, phones etc. that you need to have out when you go though security in a clear, gallon-size Ziplock bag. Pull that bag out and zip though security. BONUS: you can put your electronics in the bag when you go on water rides (or put the wet umbrella in there after a T-Storm).

I have posted this in a lot of threads, but I am firm believer in trying out different masks until you find one comfortable for you. I know that people are not making things up and it is not all in their heads when they say it can be hard to breathe in masks because certain masks we tried left me feeling short on air and were very uncomfortable in the heat/humidity (one type of cloth mask and two types of surgical/disposables). These included masks that felt fine at home but when we got to florida were awful--I think some materials absorb the humidity more than others. We kept buying from different sources and eventually found cloth masks that were wonderful though--you didn't even notice you were wearing them in August in Florida. So bring several options.

Pro tip--wear a wide brimmed hat. It protects your face and hat from the sun, which means your face does not get as sweaty (hence, no damp masks), and it protects your mask from getting wet if it starts to rain. Just don't forget to take it off on fast rides so it doesn't blow away.

On the glasses/fog thing, mine do that in Florida when I go from A/C into the outdoors whether or not I am wearing a mask. I rarely wear contact lenses at home, but I do for Disney trips for that reason.

Very likely. The percentages would have to be really low, like almost non-existent, for masks to not be needed. However, Disney can choose to not require them at anytime. At least right now, there are no regulations that require them in Florida.

This isn't exactly true. Several counties have mask mandates, but cannot assess fines for noncompliance.

I have posted this in a lot of threads, but I am firm believer in trying out different masks until you find one comfortable for you. I know that people are not making things up and it is not all in their heads when they say it can be hard to breathe in masks because certain masks we tried left me feeling short on air and were very uncomfortable in the heat/humidity (one type of cloth mask and two types of surgical/disposables). These included masks that felt fine at home but when we got to florida were awful--I think some materials absorb the humidity more than others. We kept buying from different sources and eventually found cloth masks that were wonderful though--you didn't even notice you were wearing them in August in Florida. So bring several options.

Pro tip--wear a wide brimmed hat. It protects your face and hat from the sun, which means your face does not get as sweaty (hence, no damp masks), and it protects your mask from getting wet if it starts to rain. Just don't forget to take it off on fast rides so it doesn't blow away.

On the glasses/fog thing, mine do that in Florida when I go from A/C into the outdoors whether or not I am wearing a mask. I rarely wear contact lenses at home, but I do for Disney trips for that reason.

I totally agree on the suggestion to wear a wide brimmed hat. I wore one the entire time we were at WDW in June a couple of years ago. It was a life saver. Mine has a 4" brim all the way around. Between that and a fan, it made things a lot more tolerable.

The wide brimmed hat idea is a great one. I think I will try that as well. I live in Florida and love summer weather. However, I struggle with the masks in the summer heat. I have found the paper disposables work best for me. We went for a day in August just to try it out. Temp was around 94, I think. I did pretty well. My daughter and granddaughter did not. They were miserable.

We went the first week of August and thought the masks were absolutely miserable to the point that we won't consider going back until they aren't required. We wore the medical disposable masks and changed them several times throughout the day. It was a stifling 85-90+ each day and all I wanted was to pull the mask away from my face just to get the slightest cool breeze. Exhaling warm breath into a mask in an already hot, humid climate was awful. We brought along a small fan so our daughter at least had some relief. She's 10 and has been to WDW at least 30 times plus to every Disney park in the world - she's a HUGE Disney fan who would normally want to go at any time for any reason - and she has zero interest in returning with the masks.

The wide brimmed hat idea is a great one. I think I will try that as well. I live in Florida and love summer weather. However, I struggle with the masks in the summer heat. I have found the paper disposables work best for me. We went for a day in August just to try it out. Temp was around 94, I think. I did pretty well. My daughter and granddaughter did not. They were miserable.

My go to hat for every WDW and Disneyland trip has been this one --> https://www.tilley.com/us_en/ltm2-airflo-hat.html

it's great. It's a little expensive, but it has a lifetime warranty. It's waterproof. It floats in water. It has a secret pocket in the top of it where you can store some cash, an ID, a credit card. And it'll stay on your head in high winds. It has just enough air flow through the top of it to help keep your head cooler. And the brim is a good 4 inches all the way around.

We went the first week of August and thought the masks were absolutely miserable to the point that we won't consider going back until they aren't required. We wore the medical disposable masks and changed them several times throughout the day. It was a stifling 85-90+ each day and all I wanted was to pull the mask away from my face just to get the slightest cool breeze. Exhaling warm breath into a mask in an already hot, humid climate was awful. We brought along a small fan so our daughter at least had some relief. She's 10 and has been to WDW at least 30 times plus to every Disney park in the world - she's a HUGE Disney fan who would normally want to go at any time for any reason - and she has zero interest in returning with the masks.
Yeah sounds miserable! I can imagine wanting to pull your mask off.

My go to hat for every WDW and Disneyland trip has been this one --> https://www.tilley.com/us_en/ltm2-airflo-hat.html

it's great. It's a little expensive, but it has a lifetime warranty. It's waterproof. It floats in water. It has a secret pocket in the top of it where you can store some cash, an ID, a credit card. And it'll stay on your head in high winds. It has just enough air flow through the top of it to help keep your head cooler. And the brim is a good 4 inches all the way around.
Nice!

I’m kind of frustrated right now. We have a December trip booked, but may have to cancel. Next option is July. They have some great rates for the week after the 4th of July. Then I forgot about masks! I’m not sure we can do masks in the heat.
What was your experience with wearing a mask in the summer heat?
We normally go late May / early June. Last year we got pushed to October because of Covid. Even though temps were around 85, which I would normally be fine with, the mask was insufferable. We're definitely not going in the summer this year. If it's the only time you can go, I'd still go but I would cut back on park time for resort time.

I’m kind of frustrated right now. We have a December trip booked, but may have to cancel. Next option is July. They have some great rates for the week after the 4th of July. Then I forgot about masks! I’m not sure we can do masks in the heat.
What was your experience with wearing a mask in the summer heat?
We've been to WDW in the past in July multiple times and loved it. That said, we also went last July, and after that experience, we will probably never go back to WDW in the summer again. Orlando was having a heat wave, the masks made it harder to bear, but the worst part was the short hours that WDW has had since reopening. You can't go early morning or stay late evening anymore. So you have to endure the midday heat, and some days it was just too miserable to be worth it for us. And it's not like we're inexperienced with heat- we're from central Texas, which gets much hotter than Orlando.

Last edited:
Oh that’s a good thing to bring an umbrella! I need to write this on my packing list
You should look for a UV umbrella. Those have a special coating to block intense sunlight and provide shade. Florida's summer sun will glare right through a regular umbrella.

By all the comments you can see it's a personal level of tolerance. Some of us work long outdoor shifts while wearing them and have no issues some can't stand even a couple of hours in the sun. The only way to know is practicing before coming and seeing what you're level is

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter