Hotwire Hotel near Legoland? And what areas to stay in?

IBLarsen

DIS Veteran
Hello! I am trying to find a hotel near legoland for a portion of our trip. Has anybody used Hotwire for a hotel in that area? Just curious of others experiences....????

Also, which area would be recommended to stay in? I see Carlsbad, obviously, but if it saves money would it be worth it to go down to Del Mar or what about Oceanside? Not familiar with the area, so any recommendations would be great! We are only doing Legoland for 2 days and the Beach for one day, the time frame is Mid July.

Any luck IBLarsen??

No, No luck yet! I'm still watching the rates on Hotwire...not sure if this is the way to go. I was hoping others would share their experiences with Hotwire for this location. I'm leaning towards doing it this way. We are only spending 3 nights in Carlsbad area before heading to DLR to check in.

If anyone has any more insight, I love to hear!!

I'll post if I do this and let you know which hotel/area I end up with. We aren't going until mid July, so I still have time to figure the hotel situation out:)

~Brianna

We're going the end of July...can't wait!

I find that if I don't care what hotel I get, and I don't for that portion of our trip, then I bid on Priceline. Get something now that you can cancel if need be...but then about 4 weeks before start bidding on Priceline. I got a 4* (Hyatt) in Denver a year ago for $80 a night (rates started at $280) and last summer we stayed at a 3* in Minneapolis for $40 a night. I just find that the Priceline rates if you bid are cheaper than Hotwire.

Have you looked at betterbidding.com? They have info for both hotwire and priceline and you can see what hotels other people got. You can even figure out which hotel you are going to get (or narrow it down to 2 or 3 possibilities) by comparing amenities.

Have you looked at betterbidding.com? They have info for both hotwire and priceline and you can see what hotels other people got. You can even figure out which hotel you are going to get (or narrow it down to 2 or 3 possibilities) by comparing amenities.

No I haven't seen that site! Thanks, I'll check it out.

Also, about Priceline, that was my plan, but then it states that you are only guaranteed one bed/accomodations for 2 adults. If you want 2 beds you have to deal with the hotel directly after winning bid, but it's subject to each hotel. So what if I bid and can't get two beds? We have 2 kids and 2 adults. This is where I thought Hotwire may be safer?

I'd love to hear others experiences with Priceline if they have found this to be an issue or not?

I don't know about specific hotels in and around Carlsbad, but I will say that July is a very busy time in Del Mar because of the racetrack, so you might not want to stay in Del Mar.

I have a friend who used Hotwire a couple of years ago to get the Marriott at Legoland - I think she used tips from betterbidding.com. Her trip was in late August, if that makes a difference.

I just used Priceline to get a 3* North County Coastal (Carlsbad/Oceanside)
I paid $69 for the brand new Holiday Inn Oceanside Marina.
I prefer Hotwire - because it lets you choose *Carlsbad* as a destination instead of the larger cachement of Priceine - but the least expensive 3* was $$ much more

I used betterbidding.com for good info - but ultimately it's a crapshoot! Fun!!

I just used Priceline to get a 3* North County Coastal (Carlsbad/Oceanside)
I paid $69 for the brand new Holiday Inn Oceanside Marina.
I prefer Hotwire - because it lets you choose *Carlsbad* as a destination instead of the larger cachement of Priceine - but the least expensive 3* was $$ much more

I used betterbidding.com for good info - but ultimately it's a crapshoot! Fun!!

Thanks for this info! I really would be ok with doing Priceline, but I'm afriad of the "only 2 occupants guaranteed" part. So do you need 2 beds was this an issue for you? Do I risk it? I want your same deal!!!
And I agree, prices for Carlsbad aren't so great right now on Hotwire.

We are 2 adults & 2 kids. I figure I'll just ask sweetly when I check in to be sure we get 2 beds - or maybe call ahead a few days early to sweetly *confirm* when we can check in and the 2 beds.
If worse comes to worse it's a brand new hotel so the carpets should be in good condition and my boys ( 5 & 7) have no problem sleeping on the floor when we lay out the bedspread for them, they have their own special blankets. We have done it often before - even when staying with relatives!
It looks like a beautiful hotel - and the price was right! Good luck!

We are 2 adults & 2 kids. I figure I'll just ask sweetly when I check in to be sure we get 2 beds - or maybe call ahead a few days early to sweetly *confirm* when we can check in and the 2 beds.
If worse comes to worse it's a brand new hotel so the carpets should be in good condition and my boys ( 5 & 7) have no problem sleeping on the floor when we lay out the bedspread for them, they have their own special blankets. We have done it often before - even when staying with relatives!
It looks like a beautiful hotel - and the price was right! Good luck!

When I was reading about some priceline info, it was recommended to call the resort after winning the bid to see if you can confirm 2 beds (but of course not guaranteed). I would love to hear what your hotel says, if you don't mind letting me know after you find out! Our trip isn't until Mid July, so I still have time:)

I always use betterbidding or biddingfortravel when using Priceline. We just returned from Legoland and used Priceline (2 adults and 1 kid). We got the Courtyard near the Carlsbad airport for $75. We generally risk it with the beds. If we have to, we can have DS sleep on the floor. As long as you call ahead and request two beds, you will usually get them. But, it's not guaranteed and you have no right to complain if you don't get two beds.

We've also bid with the Miramar area (not sure what it's called now) and gotten this hotel. It's a little farther away, but it's really nice with a great free breakfast. They have said in the past to call the front desk instead of using Priceline and they can usually give you a better deal than what is on the website. I've paid $45 in June for that hotel. It can't hurt to call and ask!

I always use betterbidding or biddingfortravel when using Priceline. We just returned from Legoland and used Priceline (2 adults and 1 kid). We got the Courtyard near the Carlsbad airport for $75. We generally risk it with the beds. If we have to, we can have DS sleep on the floor. As long as you call ahead and request two beds, you will usually get them. But, it's not guaranteed and you have no right to complain if you don't get two beds.

We've also bid with the Miramar area (not sure what it's called now) and gotten this hotel. It's a little farther away, but it's really nice with a great free breakfast. They have said in the past to call the front desk instead of using Priceline and they can usually give you a better deal than what is on the website. I've paid $45 in June for that hotel. It can't hurt to call and ask!

Thanks for this info! I *think* I have found the 2nd hotel you mention on last minute travel as an undercover hotel for $54/nt.....

It sounds like you liked this hotel, how was the drive from there to Legoland??? I wanted to be closer, but if it's a good hotel at a great rate, it may be worth it to go the furthur distance!?

It is a little far and I seem to recall a small amount of traffic in the morning. But, it is technically opposite the direction of the commute. Plus, I think Legoland opens a little later so you won't hit too much traffic. I would say to allow maybe 30 mins each way? For Legoland, it worked fine as we don't tend to leave during the day. We've stayed there twice and both times it was good. There is a bit of plane noise from the air force base during the day, but with the windows closed it did not bother us. Their free breakfast was really good (eggs, bacon, pancakes plus cold items). Food at Legoland is so expensive! I usually don't balk at DL prices, but Legoland's seemed more excessive than that.

As long as you are going in knowing the downsides, I found the Countryside Inn to be a great bargain. The only reason we didn't stay there this time is because we didn't want to drive South just for the night and I got a decent Priceline rate at the Courtyard.

Ok, thanks for everybody who was trying to help me out! I actually ended up not going with Hotwire or Priceline, I booked through Last Minute Travel, an under cover hotel. I ended up going down to La Jolla because they had a 3 star hotel listed with free breakfast buffet for $54/nt! It ended up being the holiday Inn, which I think is technically 2.5 stars but still good ratings on Trip Advisor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter