Hotwire-has anyone used them?

mommytobug

DIS Veteran
I am looking for a hotel in Chicago and it says I can get a 4 star hotel for around half of what i have been quoted. Anyone used them? Do they tell you once you pay what hotel it is?

i've used them before on trips to Disneyland. They give you all the info on the Hotel as soon as you pay. I've never had any problems with them, but i don't think I would use Hotwire if I was unfamiliar with the area i was headed to since the areas on the map are the only thing you really get to pick from. I hope that makes sense.

I know we want to stay on Michigan ave or the Magnificent Mile area. Anyone from Chicago who can help me? We are going to the American Girl Store in January and yes we now know we will freeze! :rotfl: :rotfl:

I always use Hotwire and have never been disappointed. I always pick at least a 3*. Usually I get the Sheraton, Hilton, Wyndam or Hyatt.

Go to betterbidding.com to help you figure out what property
is being offered based on amenities. Frequent travelers post there
and it's less a stab in the dark that way. GOOD PRICES!

I used them once and was disappointed. The hotel they gave me would have been cheaper to book on my own through the hotel's website. They had just moved the star level of it up so I was getting a lesser quality hotel than I expected.

Not sure if hotwire does this, but I did a priceline and they show you the price + taxes you will pay if they accept your bid. OK I was fine with that, bid, they accepted, then I found out there was an extra $20 resort fee per night.

I was very satisfied when I used Hotwire for a business trip in the spring. I was able to figure out what hotel it was by going through Hotwire's website for a package (hotel and car). It gave me a choice of hotels with star ratings for the area I wanted. The hotel I ended up with was the exact same hotel I saw when looking at the package. I paid $100 less per night then what I could have gotten at the hotel's website.

One word of caution - there are no refunds for any reason.

Our experience has been good with Hotwire. Using the sites referred above and Tripadvisor, you can usually figure out the hotel. Priceline is probably cheaper, but I liked the ability to book a while in advance and also enough info to figure out what I was going to get. Also, if you have an Entertainment Book, you can get a $ 10 rebate on any Hotwire booking.

I love, love, love hotwire and have been able to figure out the hotel prior 100% of the time with the help of betterbidding.com Very easy to do! No hassle as long as you don't have to cancel!

Hi!

Just used Hotwire to book a 1 night stay in Miami before a cruise. I was able to figure what hotel it was with betterbidding and using the Tripadvisor info at the bottom of the page once you select a x star hotel (you do not have to commit at this point). The info gives you the Tripadvisor star rating review of that hotel along with how many reviews and date of last post. Then I go to Tripadvisor Hotel ranking for that city and search hotels that fit those criteria -generally it is 1 or 2 hotels and then I cross check results through bettingbidding or biddingfortravel. Also I like using Hotwire because they accept a family of 4 for rooms vs. priceline that is only guaranteed for 2 people -although we have requested double beds and for the most part the hotel has accomodated us.

Good Luck

I know we want to stay on Michigan ave or the Magnificent Mile area. Anyone from Chicago who can help me? We are going to the American Girl Store in January and yes we now know we will freeze! :rotfl: :rotfl:

We did this in June of 2007. I was researching hotels on tripadvisor.com and in the forums there was this person who knew all the good deals on hotels in Chicago. He helped me have an idea of what the hotels were that were showing on hotwire. Don't know how, but he was great!

Anyway, we booked the Westin on Mag. Mile, which was like 2 blocks from AG (the old store). We got the room for $69 a night!!!!! :banana: Awesome price! Hotel was great. I wouldn't call it a kid friendly hotel (even though the staff was super nice!), but it was a bit swanky which my daughter thought was cool.

This past November, when my other daughter turned 8, we were looking to do the same thing. I could not find a hotel for under $250 a night on Mag. Mile anywhere! So, we switched it up and went to the Atlanta store. We stayed at the Marriott, which had a WONDERFUL AG package and then I used priceline.com (did the name your price option for less than half of what the rate was listed for) for a room in Nashville for one night. It turned out to be a Marriott as well.

Overall, if you don't have your heart set on a specific hotel, I would have no worries using hotwire or priceline!

BTW, I think the Marriott in Chicago has a AG package too, if interested.

I use Hotwire all the time. I used to use it to get a great suite at AmeriSuites in Itasca (Chicago) for around $40 a night. I have booked trips to Florida, California, Georgia through them in the last 2 years. I have never had an issue with them. In fact, they quickly became my preferred provider. I love them! :dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter