Hotels in TDR vs Tokyo

Cousin Orville

Inventor of Air Cooling
We're planning 8 days in Tokyo spending half the time at the parks and half in Tokyo itself. Would you stay at just one hotel, and if so stay at TDR or central Tokyo? Or would you stay 4 nights in Central Tokyo and then move to TDR? After Tokyo we're heading over to Kyoto for a few days.

We're a family of 2 adults, 3 children. The one advantage of TDR seems to be the availability of rooms that fit 5 ppl.

Thanks in advance!

Wow - 8 Days in Tokyo. Seems like a lot to me but of course I've never been there. Still, its a good question and I'll be following the responses eagerly.

I think you will need two rooms and a wallet for tokyo and what hotels are you thinking of staying at.

You can see Mt Fuji, Sensi-Jo Temple (spelling), Kamakua

I expect to need 2 rooms in Tokyo. I'm interested in whether people feel it would be inconvenient to use a TDR hotel as a "home base" and tour into Tokyo from there or if it would be smarter to do a "split stay" between hotels in TDR and central Tokyo.

My first priority is TDR, but followed very closely by touring Tokyo itself. I figured 4 days Tokyo and 4 days TDR, but I'm interested in other opinions.

Personally, I would rather do a split stay, just to change things up a bit, but that would be the only reason. I don't think it would be hugely inconvenient to use a TDR hotel as a home base - I seem to remember the ride being around 15-20 minutes from Tokyo Station. So while not central, I would not consider it unreasonably far.

There are lots of things to do in Tokyo, and I feel you could fill up 4 days easily, but if you have the flexibility, Kyoto would be another option.

Budget wise, you'd be much better staying at TDL area hotel the whole time. It will take extra time to get into Tokyo, and the aren't as many meal options there, but you'll get one room for the 5 of you.

I would check the train routing on hyperdia.com and see how convenient it is to get to the places you want to go to in Tokyo from TDR.

We stayed at the Gate Hotel Asakusa and kids under 12 can stay for free on existing bedding (i.e. bedshare). They have triple rooms (3 beds), so if 2 of your kids are under 12, you would be able to all fit in one room. The room size was definitely smaller than Sheraton Tokyo Bay or the Disney hotels though.

I am also doing a similar length trip and we are split staying between Tokyo and TDR. We got an Airbnb so we have washing machine and kitchen access and it was fairly cheap.

If you're spending four days at Disney and have three children, I would definitely split your stay between TDR and Tokyo.

The trains in Tokyo are awesome, but it can still take an hour travelling to and from Disney, even when staying somewhat centrally (e.g. Shinjuku).

Some interesting suggestions here. I know that I'd want to spend part of our trip at TDR because we are real Disney nuts and will be hitting the park 2-3 days. But, like Kevin, I'd also want to see something of Tokyo, just not sure if we would stay in the city.

I'd do a split stay if you'll be spending a considerable amount of time in Tokyo itself. I've done excursions from TDR resorts to the city for a day- it's certainly do-able, but it isn't really something I'd want to do for several days in a row... and it would kinda depress me being at Disney but not going into the parks. Also, it's really a different experience staying at a hotel in a Tokyo neighborhood- you feel more like you are in a foreign city vs. being in a resort.

We were in Tokyo for 9 days May 2015. We stayed in downtown Tokyo and also at the Disneyland Hotel. It was great! We used a tour company for a walking tour of Tokyo for two days. We did a walking tour the first full day we were there which worked out really well because the guide helped us acclimatize to the city and subways, and helped us get a subway card loaded, etc. We saw quite a bit and the guide was also helpful in giving us cultural context and history. We used Backstreet Guides.

We also took the bullet train to Kyoto for the day. It was amazing. We used Backstreet Guides again and having tour leader was central to us having a really great day! The guides weren't too expensive, but they were a bit of a splurge. We had 5 kids with us from 17 down to 8 and they kept up just fine.

We stayed at the Tokyo Hilton. Great for kids, and the room sizes were enough for 4 people (rare). The breakfast buffet was 10/10 with sooooo many choices, both western and asian, lattes, smoothies, etc. It was expensive, but once we factored in breakfast and needing more rooms at a cheaper hotel, it wasn't too much more. It was an hour bus ride from Narita, and it was easy to find the bus that serviced the hotels outside of customs.

After our stay at TDL Hotel we stayed at Tokyo Hilton Bay. Again, a fun room. The breakfast wasn't as good, but just fine. On par with most hotel hot breakfasts. Cheaper than the downtown hotel. Again, we booked a bus back to the airport, but be warned, they book up quickly and we needed to book a day and a half prior to our departure to get some of the last spots from our hotel at the time we needed. Huge rooms.

We loved, loved, loved DL Hotel. Sooooo luxurious. Blows any Florida DW hotel completely out of the water. There was a shopping mall a short bus ride away with lots of food choices and shopping. I loved that Japanese fashion magazines often came with samples of things like nail polish, tank tops and makeup! Such a fun souvenir to bring back. We used DVC points, and they were a good value. We had a superior alcove room - tons of room! Two double beds and a single in a nook, plus a split bath.

TDL was really, really good. So much to see and do, and the people watching was awesome. We loved Tokyo DisneySea a lot too. There is far less shopping and merchandise in TDL than the US parks.

We had an AMAZING trip. We combined sightseeing, cultural and historical places of interest, kitschy and modern amusing places to see, and of course, Disney! It was EXPENSIVE but truly one of those trips that was soooo special. We tried to save money on food where we could, and having hotels with full breakfasts really helped that, as we could eat huge at breakfast, lightly at lunch, and normally at dinner. Getting stuff from vending machines was fun, as well as department store food court basements.

Hope this helps!

Day 1 - landed and got dinner and to bed
2- tokyo sightseeing - tour guide
3-tokyo sightseeing
4-TDL
5-TDL
6-TDL
7-TDL in morning, move to new hotel, sightseeing
8-Kyoto - tour guide
9-last day sightseeing Tokyo - tour guide
10- home

We also took the bullet train to Kyoto for the day. It was amazing. We used Backstreet Guides again and having tour leader was central to us having a really great day! The guides weren't too expensive, but they were a bit of a splurge. We had 5 kids with us from 17 down to 8 and they kept up just fine.

Did you you feel you saw everything you wanted to in Kyoto on your day trip? How long is the train ride?

Did you you feel you saw everything you wanted to in Kyoto on your day trip? How long is the train ride?

Well we definitely could have seen more but I thought it was a very good full day and we weren't disappointed. We just couldn't swing the logistics of staying overnight with 5 kids. I can't remember how long the train was exactly but I believe about 90 minutes on the very fast train.

We did a day trip to Kyoto from Osaka. It was nice to see a couple of the touristy places, but it was very, very busy (we went in Cherry Blossom season). Not sure I'd do a day trip from Tokyo. If I wanted to see Kyoto again, I'd stay a few nights.
I'd also suggest staying in Tokyo for Tokyo sightseeing, but the cost is quite a bit more than accom around Disneyland. Just depends on your budget.

On our first trip, we did a day trip from Osaka to Kyoto and managed to see quite a lot. We had a bit of trouble using the buses due to the language barrier and not having correct change.

I'm not sure how much you would be able to see if you were travelling from Tokyo - would the bullet train be 3/4 hours each way? That's a big chunk of the day spent in travelling time only.

On our second trip, we stayed at Kyoto for a few days to see everything at a more leisurely pace. But, that's mainly because we found relatively cheap accommodation (at least for Kyoto).

We're planning 8 days in Tokyo spending half the time at the parks and half in Tokyo itself. Would you stay at just one hotel, and if so stay at TDR or central Tokyo? Or would you stay 4 nights in Central Tokyo and then move to TDR? After Tokyo we're heading over to Kyoto for a few days.

We're a family of 2 adults, 3 children. The one advantage of TDR seems to be the availability of rooms that fit 5 ppl.

Thanks in advance!

I am trying to work out your budget. What kind of hotel you like? But am having trouble!

Please realise that Air BnB is illegal in Japan. I wouldn't like to chance staying in one.[/QUOTE
s.
I am not doubting that. I am kind of shocked to hear that as My sister has done it heaps as she speaks Japanese (her annoying 28 year old brother does as well). And has been heaps of time

ps her annoying 28 year old brother is me

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter