• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Hotel with suites and free breakfast?? Or Townhome? Family 5

aksunshine

DIS Veteran
Hi friends! I am in planning stages. With our family of 5 we are better off- site (first time). At this point a townhouse or condo is likely the path we will take. Plenty of space! Mostly having more than one potty! lol!!! That said, however, I would consider a "suite" type hotel with free breakfast.

I would love any suggestions for either type of accommodation. I am really liking the look of Regal Palms. Anyone stay there?

We have stayed at Sheraton Vistana Lake Buena Vista, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, and Marriott Royal Palms. All of these were 2 bedroom condos and they were very nice. Close to parks. Wyndham pools and proximity to park was probably the best perk, but I actually liked the unit and ease of parking at Sheraton the best.

We also rented a condo at Windsor Hills. I liked the unit itself, but I wouldn't stay there again. Tons of people love it, so that's just my personal opinion.

We have stayed at some suite hotels- mostly Embassy. They have a great free breakfast and lots of space in the rooms. Doubletree Suites in Disney Springs would probably be your best bet for offsite, reasonably priced (but quality) suites. From my research, the shuttle service is very good. The pool a bit lackluster- maybe not important if swimming is not a big part of your vacation. We have not stayed here but are planning to try it out in the future.

The single biggest benefit of staying in a condo vs. suite hotel is laundry. It's a huge bonus to have that right in the unit with you. Especially with small kids. The kitchen is great, too, for saving $$$.

We ended up at Windsor Palms, which I hadn't been able to find hardly anything about, and we really liked it. We stayed in a condo, but therre were townhouses as well.

Hi friends! I am in planning stages. With our family of 5 we are better off- site (first time). At this point a townhouse or condo is likely the path we will take. Plenty of space! Mostly having more than one potty! lol!!! That said, however, I would consider a "suite" type hotel with free breakfast.

I would love any suggestions for either type of accommodation. I am really liking the look of Regal Palms. Anyone stay there?

My opinion, you're far better off with a townhouse than a hotel with a suite. We're a family of 5 and love having a large townhouse.

We stayed at Regal Palms for 12 days in Dec 2017, so it was very recent. We've stayed off site at least a dozen different times, and it honestly was the "nicest" place we have ever been. It's about a 15 minute ride to AK, a little more to the other parks. I know a lot of people here talk about Bonnett Creek, but for us the fact that it's on property is a big negative so we wouldn't stay there. It makes it less convenient to grocery stores, gift shops, etc...

My opinion, you're far better off with a townhouse than a hotel with a suite. We're a family of 5 and love having a large townhouse.

We stayed at Regal Palms for 12 days in Dec 2017, so it was very recent. We've stayed off site at least a dozen different times, and it honestly was the "nicest" place we have ever been. It's about a 15 minute ride to AK, a little more to the other parks. I know a lot of people here talk about Bonnett Creek, but for us the fact that it's on property is a big negative so we wouldn't stay there. It makes it less convenient to grocery stores, gift shops, etc...
I love the theming of Bonnet, but I can save quite a bit not staying there. Regal Palms looks really nice!

Yes, that's the other reason we wouldn't stay at Bonnet, besides being inconvenient to off site stuff, it's expensive.

You'll love Regal Palms!! If you chose not to go there, look along Rt. 192 on the east side of WDW. That's our favorite area to stay. There's a low crowd grocery store nearby (Target or Publix), gift shops, restaurants, Wawa (convenience store from our home town that has the best coffee), and all kinds of other stuff.

To clarify Bonnet Creek is not on Disney property but adjacent. Their only access is via Disney property. I say that as non-Disney hotels on property are getting extra perks .... Bonnet Creek does not.

We’ve always paid about $50 per night for 1 bedroom and $80 per night for 2 bedroom at WBC - been a couple years. I would stay at WBC each trip if I could. Paid about same more recently at Sheraton Vistana Resort for 2 bedroom.

We are five some trips, and don’t mind the suites. I like the housekeeping and breakfasts. We still have kitchenette and pack lunches. Just stayed Home2Suites and next up is Embassy Suites but we’ve done a variety. We also liked StayBridge Suites 2 bedroom.

Just SO MUCH to choose from, I would narrow to what type of lodging and go from there.

To clarify Bonnet Creek is not on Disney property but adjacent. Their only access is via Disney property. I say that as non-Disney hotels on property are getting extra perks .... Bonnet Creek does not.

We’ve always paid about $50 per night for 1 bedroom and $80 per night for 2 bedroom at WBC - been a couple years. I would stay at WBC each trip if I could. Paid about same more recently at Sheraton Vistana Resort for 2 bedroom.

We are five some trips, and don’t mind the suites. I like the housekeeping and breakfasts. We still have kitchenette and pack lunches. Just stayed Home2Suites and next up is Embassy Suites but we’ve done a variety. We also liked StayBridge Suites 2 bedroom.

Just SO MUCH to choose from, I would narrow to what type of lodging and go from there.

If I could find WBC for $80/ nt, I'd do it!! But I am not seeing it lower than $159 for 2bedroom. And that was in January. :(

If going for a full week and with the size group of yours I'd do the condo or townhome. We have done lots of renting of two and three bedroom condos on Redweek.com and TUG2.net. (Ones we have rented multiple times are Sheraton Vistana Resort and Cypress Pointe and Cypress Pointe Grand Villas). The condos/townhomes are usually a little more upscale than the suite places, have great balconies that the others don't - my family loves balcony hang out time, better kitchen, washer/dryer, more amenities to explore, more space which is fun for family gathering and some private time -- tennis, great pools, great hot tubs, etc.

On a super short trip with a smaller group I usually go the other route. For example I am doing a four night / three day Orlando stay with my son (DH isn't going on this one - just two of us), and here I'm staying in a double queen studio at the Marriott Residence Inn - free breakfast, quick queue (some front of line passes to some rides at SeaWorld -- not really needed but nice), kitchenette, nice pool, hot tub. You get maid service at these, but I really don't care that much about that. The one I am staying at has been recently remodeling and looks really cute too. For a short stay where you aren't doing a grocery run, the breakfast is nice. This won't have a balcony, though, less space etc.

Both are really pretty good options.

If going for a full week and with the size group of yours I'd do the condo or townhome. We have done lots of renting of two and three bedroom condos on Redweek.com and TUG2.net. (Ones we have rented multiple times are Sheraton Vistana Resort and Cypress Pointe and Cypress Pointe Grand Villas). The condos/townhomes are usually a little more upscale than the suite places, have great balconies that the others don't - my family loves balcony hang out time, better kitchen, washer/dryer, more amenities to explore, more space which is fun for family gathering and some private time -- tennis, great pools, great hot tubs, etc.

On a super short trip with a smaller group I usually go the other route. For example I am doing a four night / three day Orlando stay with my son (DH isn't going on this one - just two of us), and here I'm staying in a double queen studio at the Marriott Residence Inn - free breakfast, quick queue (some front of line passes to some rides at SeaWorld -- not really needed but nice), kitchenette, nice pool, hot tub. You get maid service at these, but I really don't care that much about that. The one I am staying at has been recently remodeling and looks really cute too. For a short stay where you aren't doing a grocery run, the breakfast is nice. This won't have a balcony, though, less space etc.

Both are really pretty good options.
Thanks Kathy! I am leaning toward the condo route. It makes more sense for our family. I like having more than one bathroom. lol! I do like the idea of breakfast, though, which is why I was considering the other. BTW, LOVE Residence Inn!

I have never been on those 2 websites you mentioned. I am looking through Redweek right now. In the the listings, are the prices the total? Or are there likely to be fees and such when you contact the owner? I don't want to become a member until I am ready to book. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy! I am leaning toward the condo route. It makes more sense for our family. I like having more than one bathroom. lol! I do like the idea of breakfast, though, which is why I was considering the other. BTW, LOVE Residence Inn!

I have never been on those 2 websites you mentioned. I am looking through Redweek right now. In the the listings, are the prices the total? Or are there likely to be fees and such when you contact the owner? I don't want to become a member until I am ready to book. :)

I think a condo from one of these sites would be great for you. They are typically full week rentals. Redweek.com and TUG2.net are your total price, which is different than VRBO. I should mention that on Redweek.com to actually do the rental and contact the owner, you need to join for the year, which I believe last time I joined was $15 for the year. I usually sign on as a guest and if I see something I want to rent I join and contact the owner, just as you are taking about doing.

What I like about the timeshare rentals too is that all the units have the same furnishings, are on a upgrade schedule, etc. and all I have rented have tasteful decorating. One thing to make sure not to do (very easy to say no) is signup for a resort tour which is a timeshare presentation. They will tell you to go over to pick up your coupon book which is an opportunity to try to sign you up. Don't bother. If you are asked to attend a resort tour and to get a freebie $50, $100, free tickets just say very nicely, "No thank you. I'd rather get a root canal." That line seems to get the point across and they don't ask again. IMHO these are not something to subject yourself to. The resorts are lovely to stay at, have great staff, and great customer service, and I love renting timeshares. Presentations, though, are high pressure, long, and for me the last thing I'd ever want to do on a vacation. Also, I wouldn't want to own one in Orlando either as cash is king and the timeshares are very easy and reasonable to rent (no reason to own one IMHO). Also, if I were to buy one, I'd do it on the resale market for a lower price.

I absolutely love staying at these. PM me or post ones you are considering on this site too if you want some feedback about what other people think. There are so many great timeshare resorts in Orlando -- tons of really lovely ones. Or you could even to a search on this site and probably get a lot of information. Many on this forum rent these frequently for their Orlando trips and I can certainly see why.

I think a condo from one of these sites would be great for you. They are typically full week rentals. Redweek.com and TUG2.net are your total price, which is different than VRBO. I should mention that on Redweek.com to actually do the rental and contact the owner, you need to join for the year, which I believe last time I joined was $15 for the year. I usually sign on as a guest and if I see something I want to rent I join and contact the owner, just as you are taking about doing.

What I like about the timeshare rentals too is that all the units have the same furnishings, are on a upgrade schedule, etc. and all I have rented have tasteful decorating. One thing to make sure not to do (very easy to say no) is signup for a resort tour which is a timeshare presentation. They will tell you to go over to pick up your coupon book which is an opportunity to try to sign you up. Don't bother. If you are asked to attend a resort tour and to get a freebie $50, $100, free tickets just say very nicely, "No thank you. I'd rather get a root canal." That line seems to get the point across and they don't ask again. IMHO these are not something to subject yourself to. The resorts are lovely to stay at, have great staff, and great customer service, and I love renting timeshares. Presentations, though, are high pressure, long, and for me the last thing I'd ever want to do on a vacation. Also, I wouldn't want to own one in Orlando either as cash is king and the timeshares are very easy and reasonable to rent (no reason to own one IMHO). Also, if I were to buy one, I'd do it on the resale market for a lower price.

I absolutely love staying at these. PM me or post ones you are considering on this site too if you want some feedback about what other people think. There are so many great timeshare resorts in Orlando -- tons of really lovely ones. Or you could even to a search on this site and probably get a lot of information. Many on this forum rent these frequently for their Orlando trips and I can certainly see why.
I will!! Thanks!

If you don't mind making breakfast yourself, then a condo/townhouse would be the best option. We just did a 10 day stay at the Embassy Suites LBV and really enjoyed the stay. Free cooked omeletes and evening drinks and snacks were nice. However, we used points for the stay so it was a no brainer. Had we not had enough points, we probably would have opted for a condo as long as the pricing worked out in our favor.

If you don't mind making breakfast yourself, then a condo/townhouse would be the best option. We just did a 10 day stay at the Embassy Suites LBV and really enjoyed the stay. Free cooked omeletes and evening drinks and snacks were nice. However, we used points for the stay so it was a no brainer. Had we not had enough points, we probably would have opted for a condo as long as the pricing worked out in our favor.

What did you do about laundry for such a long stay at the Embassy? Did they have a laundry room?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter