Hotel Room Meal Ideas

Does anyone else end up bringing too much food, etc?

I always seem to over plan (imagine that :rolleyes:) and end up with way more food than we use. More travel games/toys for the kids than we needed . . . . More clothes than we needed. . . .

Does anyone else end up bringing too much food, etc?

I always seem to over plan (imagine that :rolleyes:) and end up with way more food than we use. More travel games/toys for the kids than we needed . . . . More clothes than we needed. . . .

Yeah.

One thing I packed when we flew last spring was a can of Progresso soup. It isn't very original, but it packed great and I got plastic bowls and spoons from the hotels continental breakfast. It was so nice to have hot soup in our room after a rainy day at the park.

I usually bring a bag of skillet sensations (complete frozen meal in a bag)that I cook using a hotplate. I also bring a toaster, bagels, cup of soup, english muffins and snack foods.

If you are flying and will have a microwave there are quite a few decent microwave meals that don't require refrigeration out there you could stick in your suitcase in freezer bags in case they burst.

If you will have a microwave and you are driving you can make a few re-heatable meals ahead of time, put them in Gladware and freeze them before you leave. They will keep for a long time in an ice chest. For example --
  • Shepard's Pie (recipe below)
  • Spaghetti
  • Taco meat for tacos
  • Your favorite casserole
  • Pre-seasoned frozen veggies
  • Frozen pancakes and pre-cooked bacon
  • Frozen fruit mixes
Non-Frozen items -
  • Bagged lettuce/shredded cheese/soft taco shells
  • Nachos - Jar of nacho cheese/picante sauce/tortilla chips
  • Pancake syrup
  • Salt/pepper

Don't forget a box of plastic silverware, paper towels, plates, etc. and a small bottle of dishsoap and sponge for container cleanup.

The mini fridges don't hold a ton of stuff, so if you use containers that stack neatly you can save a lot of space.

I make a simple layered Shepard's Pie that is hearty and freezes/reheats well. I layer it in individual serving Gladware containers. Bottom layer - Mix cooked, drained hamburger with cream of mushroom soup and season to taste; Center layer - cooked frozen veggies like peas/corn/carrot; Top layer Mashed Potatoes. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top after you reheat it for best results.

I have definitely read many interesting and tasty ideas, however, for myself, a number of them are just too involved and annoying actually. For me, I reheat left overs from either take out, or ordering in to leftovers from DL or elsewhere. Anyway, that works for me. But then, it is just I, and not a family of 5 for example.

We always stay at Residence Inns - we are a family of 6 and most hotels won't accomodate us. Plus, every Residence Inn has a free HOT full breakfast buffet and that feeds us well for the day. Plus we've got a full kitchen and all utensils in that kitchen (in our room).

With that said - whether we drive or fly, we make a run to a grocery store and pick up what we call "carpet picnic" items. Cheeses, lunch meats, fruits, nuts, rolls, crackers, fiber one bars & lots of bottled water. Since the hotel provides a great breakfast, plus 2-4 days/week they have a hearty appetizer in the evenings, we are well fed with our carpet picnic items. If we ever run out of anything, Residence Inn will grocery shop for us (for FREE) and we are restocked.

We also don't like the processed stuff - the additives tend to make us feel more tired, give us headaches, etc. so sticking to the "as fresh as possible" stuff, we feel a whole lot better.

This year we've budgeted a character breakfast & the fantasmic dessert (plus we always get an ice cream at the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor while we are waiting on the curb for the late afternoon parade).

HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter