Hotel Hop.. Grand Floridian to Polynesian?

If I change hotel after GF where do we stay?

• Polynesian Resort

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Yacht Club

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Beach Club

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • Contemporary Resort

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Stay at Grand Floridian NON CLUB LEVEL

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters

ToffPrincess

Mouseketeer
Hello fellow forum members. Some advice please.

Easter 2018 I am booked in for a 12 night stay at the Grand Floridian. We are a large group and my husband and I were thinking of extending our trip a further 5-6 days when everyone leaves to enjoy Disney in peace with our son who will be 3.5 year old at the time. We will probably have to start selling body organs if we extend the reservation as it is and keep our club level rooms. Not really an option.

Should we continue to stay at the GF and move to an outside building for the added days? Is that going to be a total buzzkill after 12 days club level? OR do we experiment and go to the Polynesian for the rest of the trip? As a young child, the Spirit Of Aloha show was always a highlight for me but aside from that (and a pretty insane Polynesian culture obsession) I know NOTHING about the resort other than from what I have seen on YouTube. I have seen lobby tours but I just can't sence the vibe. Are theme park views that much better than lagoon ones?

Any advice would be much valued as I normally never resort hop! I am wandering if it is too stressfull to do with a 3 year old.. on another forum someone recommended the Yacht Club or Beach club as alternate options. Any thoughts??

Hope all Florida residents and guests are safe right now.. thoughts are with you all!!:love:

We are big fans of the Grand Floridian and just returned home from an 11 night stay at the Polynesian. We loved it. My kids loved it. The pools are great, great dining, and we loved the atmosphere. Tons of resort activities and the location is great. It's very different from the GF.

Switching resorts won't be any more complicated than switching rooms. Disney will move everything for you!

We absolutely love the Poly. We resort hop almost every trip and always love to end at the Poly. It is so relaxing. I love the theme, music, smell, etc. We do love the Hawaii building and love to stay CL at the Poly for the lounge itself. We have stayed with the TPV and with the view of the oasis pool. The TPV is nice but the lounge has a great TPV and we really liked the view of the pool. We don't spend much time in the room when we stay at the Poly. We really do like the lounge view. We go with the room with the better discount. This time the TPV had a better discount so we took it but otherwise the other views are lovely. We never had a bad view at the Hawaii building - I am sure people have but we never did and stayed there many times.

I would pick the Poly for you -but I would also pick the Boardwalk. The staff and food at the BWI CL is top notch and our stay there is always fantastic. Enjoy no matter where you stay.

I voted for other. Though I'm sure you'd love Polynesian, I thought maybe after 12 days you'd like to experience a whole new area and I'm a huuuuge fan of Animal Kingdom Lodge. There's lots to do there for younger kids and you could really relax and enjoy yourselves!

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Paradiseintherain.. I really must do some research. I don't know anything about the Animal Kingdom Lodge apart from how good the food is. I don't think I have even seen a video tour. I have a lot of investigating to do!!

If this were me, after 12 days at GF RPC I would want to do something totally different... so an Epcot resort or AKL would get my vote. While I love Poly, I really would have no desire to stay in the MK area after such a long stay.

I do think splitting is a good idea, but you likely don't want to move rooms in GF, so I'd focus on other options.

Do you want to also stay CL at resort #2?

If this were me, after 12 days at GF RPC I would want to do something totally different... so an Epcot resort or AKL would get my vote. While I love Poly, I really would have no desire to stay in the MK area after such a long stay.

I do think splitting is a good idea, but you likely don't want to move rooms in GF, so I'd focus on other options.

Do you want to also stay CL at resort #2?

To be honest CL is always nice but as this trip is over easter and the prices are so ridiculously high I think we will go without it for the second part of our trip. The first half we are travelling with elder members of the family and the lounge and extra service just makes sense but for the 3 of us.. I doubt we will need it.

To be honest CL is always nice but as this trip is over easter and the prices are so ridiculously high I think we will go without it for the second part of our trip. The first half we are travelling with elder members of the family and the lounge and extra service just makes sense but for the 3 of us.. I doubt we will need it.

Got it. :thumbsup2 Although CL with just 3 can be a nice splurge too! So convenient with the little one for sure.

But anyway, not sure of your park plans for that portion of your trip but the more I think about it my mind keeps coming to AKL or maybe even WL. Somewhat quieter, great theming, good dining options, great pools for the little one.

Got it. :thumbsup2 Although CL with just 3 can be a nice splurge too! So convenient with the little one for sure.

But anyway, not sure of your park plans for that portion of your trip but the more I think about it my mind keeps coming to AKL or maybe even WL. Somewhat quieter, great theming, good dining options, great pools for the little one.

I especially like the idea of more quiet. I am currently doing my AKL research. Will add WL to the next research list!! I like the sound of that just by the name alone. Sounds gloriously different to GF!

Has anyone had any experience with the kids dinner clubs? Are they safe environments to leave your kids for a few hours to have some 'mummy daddy dinner time'? I notice AKL, BC and Poly has them!

Has anyone had any experience with the kids dinner clubs? Are they safe environments to leave your kids for a few hours to have some 'mummy daddy dinner time'? I notice AKL, BC and Poly has them!

Yes! My DS9 LOVED them! (Unfortunately, he thinks he is too old for them now, LOL!) On a few trips, going to Sandcastle Club (at BC) was his number one request of things to do at WDW (Lilo's Playhouse was also fun). They are safe and they have wonderful activities plus dinner and snacks for the kids. Lilo's and Sandcastle also have character meet and greets every night. DH and I have had a few dates nights in EP after dropping DS off at Sandcastle - it's a lot of fun!

As for switching resorts, especially after spending 12 nights at GF, I highly recommend it (not that I don't love GF, but after 12 nights, I would want a change of scenery). Split stays are all about location for us so, when we do a split, it's typically a MK/EP resort split. AKL and WL are GORGEOUS, but there is nothing like staying in the EP area and being able to walk right into EP and DHS and walk around the Boardwalk (and enjoy the entertainment in the evening). BC/YC also have an amazing sand-bottomed pool for little kids. It's SO much fun.

Just know, the WL and AKL rooms will be significantly smaller than your GF room (if it matters). Honestly, you can't go wrong with AKL, WL, BC/YC or Poly, either. I would just think about what you would like in a resort for your second stay. For me, I would want someplace completely different in terms of location and theme.

I especially like the idea of more quiet. I am currently doing my AKL research. Will add WL to the next research list!! I like the sound of that just by the name alone. Sounds gloriously different to GF!

Definitely research AKL if you are looking for quiet. We love the Poly as it's our favorite resort overall, but if you are looking for something different away from the MK area, AKL is an excellent choice (IMO). It's an amazing resort and since it is sort of isolated, the atmosphere (to me) is very quiet and peaceful :goodvibes.

If you plan to stay in the MK area you can't go wrong with Poly, WL, or CR. If you want to get out of that area I would say BC or YC. You can walk to Epcot and DHS or take a boat and depending on how warm it is at that time they have Stormalong Bay.

A little update. DH confirmed the extra dates for the trip with GF CL just in case. I told him if we stick to it we are selling his kidney not mine.

He has given me the idea to use our up and coming trip in October as a chance to location scout.
We have dinner booked at YC one night, AKL for a lunch and multiple meals at Poly so we can scout our locations. Can not wait!!

Yes! My DS9 LOVED them! (Unfortunately, he thinks he is too old for them now, LOL!) On a few trips, going to Sandcastle Club (at BC) was his number one request of things to do at WDW (Lilo's Playhouse was also fun). They are safe and they have wonderful activities plus dinner and snacks for the kids. Lilo's and Sandcastle also have character meet and greets every night. DH and I have had a few dates nights in EP after dropping DS off at Sandcastle - it's a lot of fun!

As for switching resorts, especially after spending 12 nights at GF, I highly recommend it (not that I don't love GF, but after 12 nights, I would want a change of scenery). Split stays are all about location for us so, when we do a split, it's typically a MK/EP resort split. AKL and WL are GORGEOUS, but there is nothing like staying in the EP area and being able to walk right into EP and DHS and walk around the Boardwalk (and enjoy the entertainment in the evening). BC/YC also have an amazing sand-bottomed pool for little kids. It's SO much fun.

Just know, the WL and AKL rooms will be significantly smaller than your GF room (if it matters). Honestly, you can't go wrong with AKL, WL, BC/YC or Poly, either. I would just think about what you would like in a resort for your second stay. For me, I would want someplace completely different in terms of location and theme.

First off, I would LOVE to have that much time to spend at WDW, and to do it in GF CL... (GF is our favorite resort). We haven't stayed CL but I would think that going down from CL at the same resort might feel like a bit of a let down, not to mention maybe wanting a change of scenery. While the GF is our favorite resort, and I see from your signature that you've always stayed at the GF, I agree with @DisneyWishes14 that you ought to try a new place.

We just stayed at BCV and loved it. BC/YC and BWV/BWI are such a change of pace from the MK resorts (as is AKL/AKV) that it is like a whole different vacation. The sand bottom part of the pool at BC/YC is really great for kids and I loved being able to walk to EP for dinner in the WS. There is a shallow kiddie pool at BWV, and you also have the restaurants and entertainment and the running-around-space on the Village Green. And finally, AKL/AKV - you have some great restaurants on site and you are a bit secluded from the rest of the parks/resorts, and there is so much to do at the resort itself.

Don't get me wrong, we are big fans of the MK resorts, but with that much time at WDW I would definitely try another resort. I voted for Beach Club, but Yacht Club, Boardwalk and AKL would all be fine choices, and you won't have to sell any kidneys.

We just stayed at BCV and loved it. BC/YC and BWV/BWI are such a change of pace from the MK resorts (as is AKL/AKV) that it is like a whole different vacation. The sand bottom part of the pool at BC/YC is really great for kids and I loved being able to walk to EP for dinner in the WS. There is a shallow kiddie pool at BWV, and you also have the restaurants and entertainment and the running-around-space on the Village Green. And finally, AKL/AKV - you have some great restaurants on site and you are a bit secluded from the rest of the parks/resorts, and there is so much to do at the resort itself.

I love the sound of the pool at the BC/YC! I didnt realise it had a sandy bottom.. i know my little one (and husband) would love that. I cant wait to see the two with my own eyes.. leaning slightly towards BC after watching 900000 youtube videos.

AKL/AKV just sound like paradise. Im also curious to see what DH will prefer. We are so similar in so many ways but the inner kid in him occasionally surprises me!!

Little update! So, we are a few days into our visit and have seen & explored Polynesian, AKL and WL which all look like heaven. AKL and WL seem so lovely and quiet compared to the magic kingdom three. DH said for a couples visit he would love AKL for a few days. I agree I can imagine it being lovely for a bit of privacy. DH & I agreed that Contemporary resort is not really our thing as the lobby/main building area is way too busy and open. We love the Polynesian but it's so close to GF and we spend so much time there for dining it feels like we already have stayed there. DH is madly in love with the GF. MADLY! He said it's even better than the stories I was telling him from when I was a child.

It will be interesting if he and I agree in the end on what to do. So far for our next visit his vote is to stay in GF. I would still like 3/4 days in another resort 'just to try.' I haven't actually seen the inside of BC yet but I will in a few days so we will see... the idea of taking the morning boat to Epcot (or walking) really appeals to me!!

I wouldn't stay at the Poly. They are so close. I'd stay someplace in a different location and with a different atmosphere.
BC/YC are within walking distance of Epcot. They also have a boat to HS.
AKL is wonderful for young children. They love the animals.
WL is also wonderful for young children. My dd loved staying there when she was little.

Little update! So, we are a few days into our visit and have seen & explored Polynesian, AKL and WL which all look like heaven. AKL and WL seem so lovely and quiet compared to the magic kingdom three. DH said for a couples visit he would love AKL for a few days. I agree I can imagine it being lovely for a bit of privacy. DH & I agreed that Contemporary resort is not really our thing as the lobby/main building area is way too busy and open. We love the Polynesian but it's so close to GF and we spend so much time there for dining it feels like we already have stayed there. DH is madly in love with the GF. MADLY! He said it's even better than the stories I was telling him from when I was a child.

It will be interesting if he and I agree in the end on what to do. So far for our next visit his vote is to stay in GF. I would still like 3/4 days in another resort 'just to try.' I haven't actually seen the inside of BC yet but I will in a few days so we will see... the idea of taking the morning boat to Epcot (or walking) really appeals to me!!
You would be walking to Epcot from YC/BC it’s a short walk, and use boat to DHS.
I think staying in a different area would be fun. We love GF too, and Poly. Also WL lol!, but also enjoy staying at YC or bC. I have a pref for YC over BC mainly because most all rooms have balconies. And with a little one it gives you extra living space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter