• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

horizons

mogley

Earning My Ears
Whasnt this a some what new ride befor they took it for mission space? what was wrong with it? was it a good ride?

Horizons was one of my favorite attractions in Epcot. It was however one of the original rides in Future World, and one by one these attractions are being updated or changed all together to provide new and fresh experiences for guests.

I don't think Horizons was one of the original Epcot attractions. I will have to verify this, but Horizons didn't open until a few years after Epcot opened. Granted, Horizons wasn't as new as The Wonders of Life, but if my memory serves me, it wasn't an original Epcot attraction......

Ok...I just found out that Horizons was open in 1983, which is a couple years at least after Epcot was opened. I would guess that this was the first addition to EPCOT after it opened. For information on Horizons, check out the following link:

http://www.intercot.com/edc/Horizons/

It takes you from the opening to the closing.

Panthius

Horizons wasn't in Epcot on opening day, but it was in the original plans. Epcot opened October 1, 1982. The original plans called for Horizons to open one year later (which it did) and The Living Seas in 1984 (which was late). There were also original plans for a Space pavilion and a Life & Health pavilion in Future World, along with signs in World Showcase for countries "coming soon" (I can remember Israel and Spain, but there were others).

The book Walt Disney's EPCOT contains an artist rendering of Epcot center with Horizons in a different location and with a totally different building design. Regardless, this was my all-time favorite Disney attraction, and I still miss it.

Horizons was opened in 1983, about a year after Epcot itself opened up. Horizons has had a rocky road. General Electric dropped sponsor ship back in 1995 and it closed down. But when Test Track was having a delayed opening, Disney reopened it for awhile. Then they closed in back in 1999 and tore down the building in March 2000. Mission: Space is set to open in April 2003.

Horizons was an incredibly good ride. I like to think of it as the sequel to the Carosel of progress. Unfortunatly, it had the same problem the carosel did, it became outdated. without a sponser, it got to the point where it was simply unreasonable for them to rebuild it into something up to date.

Personally, I think that Horizons and Carosel of Progress are a type of ride that NEEDS to be in Epcot. Unfortunatly, I don't think anyone, not even most of the public would agree with me.

Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
Can't wait to see Mission: Space!!

I submitted some pics of the construction to WDWmagic.com if you are interested.

Personally, I think that Horizons and Carosel of Progress are a type of ride that NEEDS to be in Epcot. Unfortunatly, I don't think anyone, not even most of the public would agree with me.
I agree with you YoHo...

Originally posted by YoHo
I think that Horizons and Carosel of Progress are a type of ride that NEEDS to be in Epcot. Unfortunatly, I don't think anyone, not even most of the public would agree with me.

I agree too.

I REALLY miss Horizons and World of Motion. Those three, with the COP, were/are my favorite rides of all time. I just love all the audio animatronics. *sigh*:(

Horizions was one of the best ! I can still smell the exact orange scent they used:) and this is not just nostalgia talking as I think that the old Journey was an incredibly lame ride.....with a great song !

Horizons was a GREAT ride. Too bad it had all those problems... There was also a problem with the building itself, I believe there was a sinkhole or something. Does anyone remember better?

Actually, construction of Mission: Space has been going on for a while ... It's getting there, albeit slowly, in my opinion.

I miss Horizons. :( What was Disney thinking when they removed it?:mad: My favorite Epcot rides were 1) Horizons 2) World of Motion 3) Old Imagination ride with figment and now they are gone.:mad: Epcot hasn't been the same since. Those rides had the true Disney magic and created some fantastic memories. Test Track is ok but lacks imagination (it's more of a six flags thrill ride). The Disney suits really messed up when they took away the best rides. why, why, why?? The new imagination ride is a disaster - come on imagineers, tap into some of Walt's vision. I hear they are updating that ride, after it took a ton of complaints. Remember how that old imagination song stayed in your head all day. We sure do miss you figment! You know what, I should have been an imagineer - I wouldn't have let this happen. Oh well, I know Disney will get back on track. The old Epcot was simply awesome and a magical place to be. Disney needs to build a Horizons II ride and make a lot of people happy.

Horizons is a very sensitive subject to me since it was my all time favorite ride. :(
Sorry guys, I must go .... I'm now in tears.

King Triton
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I agree that TT may not have all the Disney magic of WoM, but it's HARDLY a Six Flags ride. it's WAY too themed and well-developed to be in any SF. I enjoy TT very much, even tho I do miss WoM. And I miss Horizons, and JII, too. I'm glad they're renovating JIYI, hopefully it'll be something *good* this time. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter